what im goung to send to my mil

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2015, 01:14 AM
what im goung to send to my mil
While on vacation my mother in law had to bring up religion at breakfast. I didn't go into depth as we were in the hotel sinning area and I didn't feel so good.

So I thought I'd put a rest to this once and for all by sending her an email with links to the things she brought up. One of the things she brought up was pascals wager and free will along with recommending a case fir christ which I already researched. I thought I'd put in the movie gods not dead as well since she has mentioned it before.

My intent is to recommend the god dilution and ask her to read since I read the book she asked me to read (a case for christ).

I will state that im not trying to reconvert her only for her to understand where im coming from. And to let her know that the bible is the claim not the evidence.

My hope is that she will have enough respect and understanding to stop trying to 'save' me.

Thoughts? Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2015, 01:37 AM
RE: what im goung to send to my mil
(23-09-2015 01:14 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  While on vacation my mother in law had to bring up religion at breakfast. I didn't go into depth as we were in the hotel sinning area and I didn't feel so good.
I know they're not your fault, but right now I love you for your typos Big Grin

Quote:My intent is to recommend the god dilution and ask her to read since I read the book she asked me to read (a case for christ).
Dilute your God, one part bullshit to six parts holy water Smile

God Delusion is a hard book for theists to read. Dawkins is very confrontational and IMO they just have all their biases that atheists are horrible people confirmed. I do like the book myself and I *love* that he is confrontational because before I read his book I felt quite uncomfortable ridiculing religion, but I think that for getting through to a believer... maybe something else?

Quote:My hope is that she will have enough respect and understanding to stop trying to 'save' me.
You could rather talk through with her not *why* you disbelieve, but that she must respect your right to disbelieve, as you respect her right to religion. Christians (and other faiths) tend to get helluva defensive if you question their religion. If your aim *is* in fact just to get her to stop saving you, and also to maintain friendly relations, then IMO it's better to do things softly than to attempt to prove to her that religion is illogical.

Good luck Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 6 users Like morondog's post
23-09-2015, 01:40 AM
(23-09-2015 01:37 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(23-09-2015 01:14 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  While on vacation my mother in law had to bring up religion at breakfast. I didn't go into depth as we were in the hotel sinning area and I didn't feel so good.
I know they're not your fault, but right now I love you for your typos Big Grin

Quote:My intent is to recommend the god dilution and ask her to read since I read the book she asked me to read (a case for christ).

God Delusion is a hard book for theists to read. Dawkins is very confrontational and IMO they just have all their biases that atheists are horrible people confirmed. I do like the book myself and I *love* that he is confrontational because before I read his book I felt quite uncomfortable ridiculing religion, but I think that for getting through to a believer... maybe something else?

Quote:My hope is that she will have enough respect and understanding to stop trying to 'save' me.
You could rather talk through with her not *why* you disbelieve, but that she must respect your right to disbelieve, as you respect her right to religion. Christians (and other faiths) tend to get helluva defensive if you question their religion. If your aim *is* in fact just to get her to stop saving you, and also to maintain friendly relations, then IMO it's better to do things softly than to attempt to prove to her that religion is illogical.

Good luck Smile

Thank you very much. What book would you recommend?
23-09-2015, 02:05 AM
(23-09-2015 01:40 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  Thank you very much. What book would you recommend?

I can't really say, I haven't read many of the books that most people have. There are some threads here (like the resource thread) where you can find lists of books, otherwise if you wait a bit there are loads of people here who will be able to make a good recommendation.

Personally I like Thomas Paine, his book "The Age of Reason" is available free, online. He was an early atheistic thinker (although he was actually a deist), who I find to be very easy to understand and I think theists in general would find him more palatable than Dawkins, although in his day he wasn't much liked for criticising Christianity.

Another essay that's available online is Bertrand Russell's "Why I am not a Christian", which is slightly more confrontational, but a lot shorter, and also I think makes a good case that someone can be a good person without worshiping God.

Blue like Jazz is a book written by a Christian which is kinda atheist-friendly, also requires much less intelligence to read Dodgy I don't like it, but it's so wishy-washy and full of feel-good crap that it might do the trick to get her off your case. I read it with a pretty girl who was keen on me - under those conditions it is very palatable Big Grin

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
23-09-2015, 02:16 AM
(23-09-2015 01:40 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  
(23-09-2015 01:37 AM)morondog Wrote:  I know they're not your fault, but right now I love you for your typos Big Grin

Good luck Smile

Thank you very much. What book would you recommend?

Maybe Daniel Dennett Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon? It's mild and less confrontational than Dawkins God Delusion. If you want something with more punch then Christopher Hitchens God Is Not Great: The Case Against Religion will be allright.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
23-09-2015, 02:28 AM
(23-09-2015 02:16 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(23-09-2015 01:40 AM)purpledaisies Wrote:  Thank you very much. What book would you recommend?

Maybe Daniel Dennett Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon? It's mild and less confrontational than Dawkins God Delusion. If you want something with more punch then Christopher Hitchens God Is Not Great: The Case Against Religion will be allright.
Thank you very much i was debating both of these books too.
23-09-2015, 05:46 AM
My uncle gave me some advice about how to deal with a mother in law.....

"Marry an orphan"...

Makes sense to me....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
23-09-2015, 05:53 AM (This post was last modified: 23-09-2015 09:43 AM by jennybee.)
I like 50 simple questions for every Christian by Guy Harrison. It's not a confrontational book but it does frame questions that give pause for thought. I think so often christians don't pause for thought and think about what it is that they are truly believing. Instead, they just believe what the church tells them.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
23-09-2015, 09:26 AM
(23-09-2015 05:53 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I like 50 simple questions for every Christian by Guy Harrison. It's not a confrontational book but it does frame questions that give pause for thought. I think so often christians don't pause for thougt and think about what it is that they are truly believing. Instead, they just believe what the church tells them.

Thanks ill look into that one too.
[+] 1 user Likes purpledaisies's post
23-09-2015, 09:49 AM
(23-09-2015 01:37 AM)morondog Wrote:  

Nonono, the homeopaths have it right for once. Dilute God until there isn't even a single molecule left.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post