what is lifes purpose without god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2012, 01:50 PM
what is lifes purpose without god?
just a hypothetical, im an atheist, my mom asked me this question, wasnt sure exactly what to tell her other than you live for the things that have meaning to you, interested in hearing other peoples input
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2012, 02:26 PM
RE: what is lifes purpose without god?
You don't have a purpose until you introduce yourself in the intro thread. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
12-05-2012, 02:47 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2012 02:58 PM by Bucky Ball.)
The answer to the question is, (at least in part), another question : Why did she ask that question?

We are Pink Monkeys. We seek patterns. We are the Pattern Seeking Monkeys.

The Pink Monkeys have found some patterns. Tongue

http://www.sweden.se/eng/Home/Education/Research/Reading/Asking-the-scientists/Why-do-we-look-for-the-meaning-of-life/

http://www.a-spiritual-journey-of-healing.com/nlp-definition.html

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist & Levitating Yogi
John 15:16 : "You did not choose me, I chose you, so that you might go and bear fruit--fruit that will last"

Lots of fruits in beligion.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
12-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Purpose without god? Now granted my first thought would be, what's the purpose with god? Or even with there being no god, technically the response would be 'the same as your purpose'.

Although there is the catch. The question "purpose of life" assumes that there is a set endpoint that is predetermined for people, I'd assume in the theists mind this is god's plan. Yet it's said that no one knows gods plan, so we don't know what our life will lead. And that leads to the free will issue (or illusion as I call it). In any case, it would seem like the question's like asking "how was the universe created"--meaning an assumption of some creator may exist.

The one point of it is something how I view it, which may not match others: there is no point. We exist as a fluke/coincidence that we potentially would not be us even if our parents had sex in a different position (different sperm hitting the egg), or even had sex on a different day. We are not the product of god saying "yes, yes, this is my plan for your child, no go forth and pop from her womb in 9 months or so (while playing with the sperm to get the right one to the right egg)". It's all probabilities, chance, environmental influences, societal influences, and everything else that defines who we are, and that becomes the foundations for how we react, leading to our jobs, our money, our available choices, and everything else about us. Think of it like this. If you go to the store at the exact same time every week, and someone else does too, you may end up dating them just because you both feel familiar with each other. You and another person walk down a street--depending on whether you pass or one gets distracted could be the difference in who you marry (that person or someone else, or no one). Life is not black and white, everything is shades of grey.
Some say killing is wrong, then support the death penalty or wars, or even defend their family from an intruder. Killing itself is not wrong, its the context of the situation that alters it. People are generally nice to others, not because they want to be at times, rather the consequences for not are worse than the consequences for being nice. People do not work (generally) because they think they love work, rather they need the money for other things (like the saying of 'no one on their deathbed says I wish I had worked longer hours/worked more').

But life doesn't have a purpose. If we are here, or we weren't nothing major would change. I know people like to think they make a big impact, and it is true that some of the great people in arts, philosophy, psychology, atheists, etc do make impacts that cause others to alter their lives, or otherwise expand their knowledge--there is no point in it. We live, we perhaps reproduce, we die. The earth is consumed by the sun, and the particles that make us up that are recycled into elements and used by plants and such are re-scattered across the universe. In a sense, the only point or purpose in life is whatever society thinks is important, or not, or something else. Really it doesn't matter. People mean something to their family, it's a built in function of the brain--other than that, we are no more important than a stalk of corn in a field.

Now keep in mind (it sometimes shows, sometimes not, I have a few psychology degrees), I follow general ideas from multiple theories, actually have my own, but mainly follow behaviourists. Think of it like this...
The earth is a big box with millions of paths you can go down. In each path lies something, it could be good, it could be bad, it could be both--you don't know until you look, and sometimes not even then. All you know is where things exist that you want (like cheese!) We want the cheese! So we go through the planetary maze seeking all the cheese we can find. When we do, we try to minimize the bad things and stay to safe paths. Oh sometimes we get free cheese, sometimes we have to hope across a rocky spiked floor to get the cheese, but we strive to get the cheese. Sometimes we turn a path and see a death machine ready to kill us.... so we turn around and go another way.
But in the end it doesn't matter, we strive to find what we find pleasurable, and try to minimize or eliminate the bad. Sometimes we take on horrible pain just because we know what we will get will be worth it (ex: women and childbirth...). But it's all the same. Some people always seek out the pain and don't realize it, some find only the pleasure. But it's all meaningless in the end. The reality of that drives people to something of comfort.

I could put in more, but that's probably more than enough... and it probably doesn't make sense as I'm really out of it tonight!
12-05-2012, 03:41 PM
(12-05-2012 02:47 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:   We are the Pattern Seeking Monkeys.

...and this starts playin' in my head. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
12-05-2012, 03:58 PM
answer: none
"so kill myself?": no try to be happy and do things you enjoy

even the smartest man in the world is an idiot
12-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Why do people assume that life has to have a defined purpose or something has to define us?

I think it is easier to swallow reality to the question if we assert: "God created us for a purpose" or something along those lines. But when you're faced with reality, the fact that we're here just the way we have happened to be... you have to take a step back and find a purpose, give yourself purpose and a reason. We define ourselves and we define our values and we define life and the path we take. I think that's more amazing than living your life for the sole purpose of praying to some deity.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
12-05-2012, 09:57 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2012 10:21 PM by Lilith Pride.)
Life's purpose is excessively easy to understand. Survival =p Why not ask what humans purpose is or something hard >.>

purpose is the most Confucian of any complex mental masturbation. The meaning behind existence is to find the meaning behind existence. All forms of purpose people can possibly come up with lead back to the question in a wonderful circle of logic.

The purpose to life is to help others and by helping others they then are driven to help others as well (round and round @_@)

The purpose of life is to fulfill the will of x. X's will not having any sort of defined end goal really just a desire for what should be done. Fulfill it, then fulfill it some more, cause x never tells you it's fulfilled. (@_@)

The purpose of life is to find happiness, when we are happy our life is fulfilled. Then we become unhappy and must seek happiness again, and again, and again...... (@_@)

In short the meaning or purpose in life is the ultimate in circular arguments because no matter what answer you posit there is no end point for life. Outside of the purpose for life being the total annihalation of all life, but let's see something succeed in wiping out everything else before it takes care of itsself. Life's purpose must be something bigger than an acchievable goal, else eventually it loses that meaning. Just ranting a bit on a philosophy I find pretty pointless =p

But the purpose must have been derived from something more grand than us, whose purpose must have been derived from something even more grand (@_@) wait no we're positing that this thing grander than us is the grandest!! How dare you attack our idea of purpose by calling it circular!!!

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
12-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Hmm... purpose without God.... purpose without... hmm, trick question?

Is this like Jeopardy where that's actually the answer?
I'll take "purpose" for $600, Alex
Oh - THE DAILY DOUBLE!!
A: Life's purpose without God.
Q: What is learning to love and being content with fellow beings on a small blue marble suspended in space dust?

That is correct!! Now, on with the game.

Not like there's not different answers ... or different questions, for that matter. Thumbsup

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
12-05-2012, 10:18 PM
(12-05-2012 09:57 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Life's purpose is excessively easy to understand. Survival =p Why not ask what humans purpose is or something hard >.>

purpose is the most confucian of any complex mental masturbation. The meaning behind existence is to find the meaning behind existence. All forms of purpose people can possibly come up with lead back to the question in a wonderful circle of logic.

The purpose to life is to help others and by helping others they then are driven to help others as well (round and round @_@)

The purpose of life is to fulfill the will of x. The will of x not having any sort of defined end goal really just a desire for what should be done. Fulfill it then fulfill it some more cause x never tells you it's fulfilled. (@_@)

The purpose of life is to find happiness, when we are happy our life is fulfilled. Then we become unhappy and must seek happiness again, and again, and again...... (@_@)

In short the meaning or purpose in life is the ultimate in circular arguments because no matter what answer you posit there is no end point for life. Outside of the purpose for life being the total annihalation of all life, but let's see something succeed in wiping out everything else before it takes care of itsself. Life's purpose must be something bigger than an acchievable goal, else eventually it loses that meaning. Just ranting a bit on a philosophy I find pretty pointless =p

But the purpose must have been derived from something more grand than us, whose purpose must have been derived from something even more grand (@_@) wait no we're positing that this thing gander than us is the grandest!! How dare you attack our idea of purpose by calling it circular!!!
right!... what?

[Image: sigvacachica.png]