what is lifes purpose without god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2012, 10:36 PM
RE: what is lifes purpose without god?
What makes you think there's any purpose at all? Regardless of god.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Stark Raving's post
12-05-2012, 11:19 PM
Just tell your mother "I dunno, you tell me you were the one that brought me into this world"

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
12-05-2012, 11:51 PM
We can lock the notion of purpose within a Darwinian aspect and create, or be taught, purposeful things such as love of country, love of family, sensual pleasures, hedonism etc largely to add some sense of reality to life.Even today any sense of secular purpose can be thwarted instantaneously and unexpectedly with our demise, yet we plod along hoping to find at least some pleasure in life for ourselves as well as others.

Socrates taught that the unexamined life was not worth living while some believe 'where ignorance is bliss, tis folly to be wise' an adage that may work seemingly quite well, but only in the short term.

Religious people seem to find purpose both in following what they see as sound principles making life better for the masses, as well, perhaps, entertaining the hope of a mysterious after clinical death interlude.Is there more to 'life' than a fleeting moment based on weird chance factors emanating from an ineffable source?

There are a multitude of experts, on both sides of the fence, wielding their 'expertise' in a multitude of directions and impacting on all of us politically. Maybe 'purpose' involves trying to do a little social good, while keeping an open mind over intangibles, as yet unknowable, but possibly nascent.
13-05-2012, 01:35 AM
That ol' chestnut again.
See my sig vvv for the answer you seek.
The question, as highlighted by others is what is "value"? That depends, my child.... could be knowledge / wisdom / discovery. Tell your mother that you are working on finding out.
Good luck!

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
13-05-2012, 02:00 AM

Without the existence of God there can be no purpose to life. If fact, one could say life is an undignified insult if there is no God.

It's not much better if God exists. If God exists the only purpose a human being can have is to bring glory to God. Glory to God, when it comes to us, is had when we use our free will to return to God, which means rejecting our individual will and taking on the will of God instead. In other words, we use our free will to give up our free will. The trade off, of course, is that deep down that is the only thing that ever fulfills us or makes us happy--God designed us that way. Kind of like the way a border collie just isn't happy if she can't herd something, or a labrador has an existential crisis until he gets to flush something from a bush or fetch something from a pond, or that cute little rat terrier mix up there gets to kill something--anything--she really isn't picky.
Quote this message in a reply
13-05-2012, 02:08 AM
(13-05-2012 02:00 AM)Egor Wrote:  Without the existence of God there can be no purpose to life. If fact, one could say life is an undignified insult if there is no God.

It's not much better if God exists. If God exists the only purpose a human being can have is to bring glory to God. Glory to God, when it comes to us, is had when we use our free will to return to God, which means rejecting our individual will and taking on the will of God instead. In other words, we use our free will to give up our free will. The trade off, of course, is that deep down that is the only thing that ever fulfills us or makes us happy--God designed us that way. Kind of like the way a border collie just isn't happy if she can't herd something, or a labrador has an existential crisis until he gets to flush something from a bush or fetch something from a pond, or that cute little rat terrier mix up there gets to kill something--anything--she really isn't picky.

Or, to summarise...
It's a dog's life!

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
13-05-2012, 03:05 AM
Of course, your mom's just looking out for ya. They do that. Wink

It is my contention that "the moral will of the universe" is to conserve entropy. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-05-2012, 03:09 AM
Firstly we start with: If I had a god, and my purpose was to worship that god, I might be looking for another purpose that would be slightly more fulfilling... perhaps acting as an example to others.

Then we move to family, society, knowledge, hobbies, ideology, politics, technology, humanity, charity, service, power, lust, the thrill of the chase, pie, tacos, walks on the beach, guilt, betrayal, reconciliation, your legacy to the human race. All of the things that a theist would answer if they genuinely answered the question of what makes them tick.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
13-05-2012, 12:38 PM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2012 12:43 PM by GirlyMan.)
(12-05-2012 10:36 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  What makes you think there's any purpose at all? Regardless of god.

That. Girly's artificial and absurd purpose that keeps me going is my Quixotic quest to fully realize and fully appreciate that life is purposeless. ... And it is good. And all is right with the world.

(13-05-2012 02:00 AM)Egor Wrote:  If fact, one could say life is an undignified insult if there is no God.

One could just as easily say that admitting God is an undignified insult to life. ... I mean I just did and it was easy. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
13-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Before we could communicate in this empathic way........ stripped down to our very basics the meaning of "life" I imagine was......

Sustenance
Warmth.
Reproduction.

Gazing out of my window right now I can see a starling (bird) sitting on a rooftop, to my knowledge it has no perception of "god"........... yet it sings.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 3 users Like bemore's post