what is lifes purpose without god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2012, 12:57 PM
RE: what is lifes purpose without god?
(13-05-2012 12:52 PM)bemore Wrote:  Gazing out of my window ...

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Blush

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-05-2012, 01:40 PM
I have lots of purposes. Next up is planting the rest of the summer veggies in the garden. Then I am going to wash my bedding. After that, I will set out to get some work on the computer done. But the best purpose today is that I will grill some salmon for dinner.

These are my purposes today.

Life has whatever purpose you give it. Mine are little piddly things these days, but they are fun to pursue. You could make yourself some big purpose, like supporting a charity with money or action, feeding the poor, researching something that humanity hasn't figured out yet, inventing something you wish was available, rescuing abandoned animals, there is an infinite pool of purposes to choose from.

The purpose of life is whatever you make it.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
13-05-2012, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2012 02:21 PM by GirlyMan.)
(13-05-2012 01:40 PM)Dom Wrote:  The purpose of life is whatever you make it.

And the one thing to take away from this is there ain't no purpose unless you make it. Wink

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
13-05-2012, 02:43 PM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2012 03:47 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(13-05-2012 02:00 AM)Egor Wrote:  Without the existence of God there can be no purpose to life. If fact, one could say life is an undignified insult if there is no God.

It's not much better if God exists. If God exists the only purpose a human being can have is to bring glory to God. Glory to God, when it comes to us, is had when we use our free will to return to God, which means rejecting our individual will and taking on the will of God instead. In other words, we use our free will to give up our free will. The trade off, of course, is that deep down that is the only thing that ever fulfills us or makes us happy.

Well, since Magnetic Resonance has proven the decision is made before we are aware of it, that one's in the crapper.

As for the rest, ...... "spoken like a true Depressive".

The purpose of life is to go surfing today, and be filled with unspeakable joy, slamming down the wave, knowing I'm alive.

As for the ridiculous notion that an ant of a creature, on a backwater planet, in a boring star system, in the boondocks of the galaxy, which is one of billions, (the star being 1 of 600 sextillion), is totally, utterly preposterous. It also raises the question of why that needy god would want "glory", from the likes of us, (whatever the hell "glory" is exactly...I know, it's one of those Southern preachy thingys...halleluia, amen). Is the god lacking in something ? If something can be "added" to the god, it's NOT infinite. Oops. And just exactly who's "watching" the glory being given. OMG. Don't these people think about ANYTHING before they drool shit ? Makes my head explode. Tongue BTW, that belongs on the "heavy depressive episopdes thread".

Surfs up.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
13-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Simply to have as much sex, drugs, and overall fun as possible, before you become worm food.
13-05-2012, 03:35 PM
(13-05-2012 03:02 PM)Diablo Wrote:  Simply to have as much sex, drugs, and overall fun as possible, before you become worm food.
No that's not it. ... But go for it if you can't see nothing else. Wink

13-05-2012, 04:16 PM
There is something else? The future of the human species or something? That seems rather grim if you ask me. Satan tells us to have fun, and that's all that matters.
[+] 1 user Likes Diablo's post
13-05-2012, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2012 04:46 PM by GirlyMan.)
(13-05-2012 03:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-05-2012 03:02 PM)Diablo Wrote:  Simply to have as much sex, drugs, and overall fun as possible, before you become worm food.
No that's not it. ... But go for it if you can't see nothing else. Wink

(13-05-2012 04:16 PM)Diablo Wrote:  There is something else? The future of the human species or something? That seems rather grim if you ask me. Satan tells us to have fun, and that's all that matters.

Yes, there is a different way. That way realizes you ain't nothing but flyshit but somehow still manages to not be an asshole or a prick. That is Girly's way.

13-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Stark likes Girly's way.

Stark also feels very odd speaking in the third person.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
13-05-2012, 08:08 PM
(13-05-2012 05:04 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Stark likes Girly's way.

Stark also feels very odd speaking in the third person.
Girly, if you keep talking in the third person I have the perfect present for you (maybe for your 50th!).
A double lobotomy and ten rolls of rubber wallpaper Big Grin

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 2 users Like aurora's post