what is lifes purpose without god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2012, 08:18 PM
RE: what is lifes purpose without god?
(13-05-2012 08:08 PM)aurora Wrote:  
(13-05-2012 05:04 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Stark likes Girly's way.

Stark also feels very odd speaking in the third person.
Girly, if you keep talking in the third person I have the perfect present for you (maybe for your 50th!).
A double lobotomy and ten rolls of rubber wallpaper Big Grin
Struth Aurora! That could have him talking in "any"? person...................with hocisms added on. No
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
14-05-2012, 08:46 PM
(13-05-2012 08:18 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(13-05-2012 08:08 PM)aurora Wrote:  Girly, if you keep talking in the third person I have the perfect present for you (maybe for your 50th!).
A double lobotomy and ten rolls of rubber wallpaper Big Grin
Struth Aurora! That could have him talking in "any"? person...................with hocisms added on. No

Not gonna happen 'rora and Woofmeister. Already told you I've had a "go" bag ready for decades. Only its contents have changed. No One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest for Girly. ... errr, I mean me. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
15-05-2012, 03:19 AM
I am reminded of a Dawkins debate where he said this to a similar question by an audience member:

"The Universe does not owe you a purpose."

It is the arrogance of humans to think they have a purpose. There is none. Make your own purpose.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 5 users Like Smooshmonster's post
15-05-2012, 03:56 AM
Did I mention... Big Grin Heart Banana_zorro Clap

That's what happens in my stupid brain just thinking about that girl. What a maroon. But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
16-05-2012, 07:20 AM
(12-05-2012 01:50 PM)Johnathan Wrote:  just a hypothetical, im an atheist, my mom asked me this question, wasnt sure exactly what to tell her other than you live for the things that have meaning to you, interested in hearing other peoples input
This reminded me of an old Far Side cartoon called "Edgar finds his purpose"

[Image: l.png]

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 4 users Like BnW's post
17-05-2012, 10:16 AM
I would tell her that life doesn't have special purpose unless there is no God. Otherwise, the only purpose is to live by this God's standards.

I find my life to be special. I am not governed by an invisible being, yet I still remain a moral person. I have no fear of eternal punishment, yet I still live my life as if I'm avoiding said punishment. I conquer life on my own terms. I draw an immense amount of courage from this fact. I don't have to rely on a deity to live my life to the fullest. I don't have to feel bad about the mistakes I make in life. Most importantly, I don't have to attribute my successes to this deity. The power is truly in my own hands. And that's pretty fucking special in my book.

By the way, not believing makes me infinitely more appreciative of my fellow human beings. Thank you Medical Doctors for keeping me alive the best you can... Thank you, my lovely wife, for ensuring that I keep a straight head... Thank you, my lovely wife, for bearing the children I love dearly... Thank you America for providing me with an opportunity to live with first world luxuries (even though you make it fucking difficult sometimes)...

I might not be blessed by a God, but I am without a doubt blessed by LIFE.

I would then follow up with:

"So mom, explain to me what YOUR purpose is WITH God."

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes NoahsFarce's post
17-05-2012, 01:35 PM
I actually think this discussion is sort of bass ackwards.

It's just like "the search for happiness". It's not something one can "go after" directly. It's found by indirection. As the Orientals say, "keep busy, and the butterfly will come and light on your shoulder, when you aren't looking".

Same goes for "purpose". You "find" your purpose, by doing something, that you think is important. There are MANY "purposes"/ "meanings".

Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
17-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Purpose and meaning are merely linguistic inventions.
Life has no actual purpose, not even procreation. When you are alive you essentially do one thing and one thing only; exist.
That's it. Everything else is just add-ons to existence.
We have no more purpose to existing than a horse, whale, dog or turtle.

We do not need imaginary sky monsters to explain or justify our existence. All you have to do is pretend that whatever you're doing means something.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
[+] 3 users Like Dragon-Wolf's post
23-05-2012, 08:43 PM
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans", John Lennon

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
23-05-2012, 08:47 PM
(17-05-2012 10:16 AM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  I would tell her that life doesn't have special purpose unless there is no God. Otherwise, the only purpose is to live by this God's standards.

I find my life to be special. I am not governed by an invisible being, yet I still remain a moral person. I have no fear of eternal punishment, yet I still live my life as if I'm avoiding said punishment. I conquer life on my own terms. I draw an immense amount of courage from this fact. I don't have to rely on a deity to live my life to the fullest. I don't have to feel bad about the mistakes I make in life. Most importantly, I don't have to attribute my successes to this deity. The power is truly in my own hands. And that's pretty fucking special in my book.

By the way, not believing makes me infinitely more appreciative of my fellow human beings. Thank you Medical Doctors for keeping me alive the best you can... Thank you, my lovely wife, for ensuring that I keep a straight head... Thank you, my lovely wife, for bearing the children I love dearly... Thank you America for providing me with an opportunity to live with first world luxuries (even though you make it fucking difficult sometimes)...

I might not be blessed by a God, but I am without a doubt blessed by LIFE.

I would then follow up with:

"So mom, explain to me what YOUR purpose is WITH God."
NF, you forgot the most important aspect which is.......yep, you guessed it, FARTING! Thumbsup

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)