what prompted me to join the forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2015, 11:08 PM
RE: what prompted me to join the forum
Oh, and sorry you have to go trough this so early.
While me dying is like this thing that will happen to Me in the far future , so I haven't thought about it that much, I'll share my view on it anyway.
My view on death is that it'll be just like before I existed, nothing, my consciousness ceases to exist. While some people find it hard to deal with the finality of things, I think the finality is the reason while you should enjoy your life. Because one day, you'll stop existing. And my views on the purpose of life is that you must find your own. While I used to say for a time that everyone's purpose should be to do something for the betterment of humanity in general, now I just think otherwise.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Lightvader's post
11-11-2015, 05:05 AM
Welcome to the forum Smile

I hope you find some kind of answers... I do like Banjo's story and the kinda... moral - enjoy the here and now. It's what I'm focused on. Any one can die at any time really, it's just that you've been given a prediction - which may or may nor prove true as in Banjo's case.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
11-11-2015, 06:37 AM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2015 07:07 AM by Cosmic Discourse.)
what prompted me to join the forum
I'm saddened to hear you're going through such a trying time, both physically and emotionally.

Coping with our finite existence is something we'll all process and experience in different ways. I'm glad you found our forum, not just for the resources available on the site, but also for the wonderfully generous contributors we have here. They're a genuine bunch for sure.

I'd like to recommend a site for you to peruse at your convenience.

http://www.griefbeyondbelief.org/

That site is filled with encouraging sentiments, about seeing life through a clear perspective. It's laid out in an archived story format, and has contributions from around the globe. Some of the stories/insights are shared by Humanist rabbis and officiants, while others are shared by laypeople.

There was a story in particular that I wanted to share with you, but I couldn't find it and am not sure it even came from that site. So, I'll do my best to hit the important parts I remember:

As Carl Sagan famously said: "We're all made of star stuff". Physicist Lawrence Krauss said something to the affect of: 'In our right hand may be matter from one star, and in the left from another' when describing the human condition.

It is my view, that our energy is reabsorbed into the universe. Our legacy lives on in the lives of those we leave behind, and in their memories of us. Some of us will make public contributions, and be remembered for that as well.

Knowing this is my one opportunity to make the most of life, gives existence it's splendor/grandeur. I try not to worry for tomorrow at the expense of today.

You'll find inside yourself strength you never realized you had. Don't forget to spend a little time reminiscing on the things and events that have brought and continue to bring you joy.

Lastly, don't be afraid to be selfish. Your comfort is of paramount importance. From the treatments you do or don't choose, to the company you keep, it's important to keep what you want in focus, and not the desires of others.

Again, I want to welcome you to the forum. Make yourself comfortable, it's a safe and immensely helpful environment. I think I can speak for us all in saying, your participation is needed and wanted here.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Cosmic Discourse's post
11-11-2015, 06:48 AM
Very sorry to hear what you are going through. The reality is, there is nothing closer then death to all of us here. Some of us may not even make it to next year. As much as we like to ignore that and live like we'll never leave from here, the fact is we all going to die. However, it is a privilege to be a life at the moment. I don't know what's after we die but being here right now you have made it against all odds and that is a miracle in it self and not some god bullshit miracle. I say enjoy every moment you have left. There may never be tomorrow and there is nothing wrong or more natural than that.

Best wishes to you.

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like izel's post
11-11-2015, 08:37 AM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2015 10:46 AM by Iñigo.)
I echo, many of the sentiments and thoughts already posted. I am really sorry you are going through this. I also don't believe in an afterlife. The here and now is all we have and we forge our own purpose. I think the Dawkins quote is really revealing:

“We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Arabia. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here.We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?”

Facing an early death, it may not seem like we are privileged, but to think about it, if our moms would have rolled over after making love to our dads and a different sperm would have fertilized the egg and we wouldn't be here.

We have a tremendous capacity to both suffer and enjoy life. I hope you find it within you to pursue joy and what makes you happy.
[+] 4 users Like Iñigo's post
11-11-2015, 10:42 AM
Thank you.
[+] 6 users Like I need new swear words g@d@m1t's post
11-11-2015, 11:59 AM
Life: what you make of it
Purpose: what you define as your raison d'etre
Death: the period at the end of the sentence.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
11-11-2015, 01:27 PM
(11-11-2015 11:59 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Life: what you make of it
Purpose: what you define as your raison d'etre
Death: the period at the end of the sentence

Fixed Big Grin

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
11-11-2015, 02:52 PM
(11-11-2015 10:42 AM)I need new swear words g@d@m1t Wrote:  Thank you.

I am glad you came back and made a second post.

I am off to shower and then hospital for another operation soon. In an hour actually. But I really would like to help.

Just remember mate, I was given 8 weeks. I thought "Screw that!" and fought tooth and nail to stay. And I am still here.

I do not know your details. So it is difficult to offer any real advice. I must say however that if you post more than twice, perhaps we can help more through understanding your plight.

My operation today, which is this type of op' # 34, is to see if my cancer has come back. I go through this every few weeks. Including failed op's for example, I have had exactly 30 lumbar punctures. 17 were successful.

Fight it. Stay with us, and if you are able give us some details so we know what we're up against.....

Never met ya, but I am beside you.

Take care. Dale

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
12-11-2015, 03:20 PM
(11-11-2015 10:42 AM)I need new swear words g@d@m1t Wrote:  Thank you.

Just to let you know there are many wonderful people here on this forum who will discuss any topic. Nothing is sacred. Pay special attention to Banjo, he's a nutty drummer guy from Australia. Please, please keep posting.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post