what prompted me to join the forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2015, 06:19 PM
RE: what prompted me to join the forum
So sorry to hear about your situation. Although Banjo has spoken far more eloquently than I ever could I don't think there is a purpose OF life at all. I do, however, think there in purpose IN life. I have 3 children and a wife whom I love very much. Eventually, FSM willing, I will see them grow up and watch them mature into adults. My purpose then will change. Eventually, they will have kids and my purpose will change. Eventually, the raveges of time will force me to part with my beloved wife. If she goes before me, my purpose will change. If I go first, my purpose will be over. And when I am old, gray, pooping in diapers, and growling at those kids and their hoverboards on the airwalk, can anyone say that my life had no purpose. I remember when my grandfather was dying and I was talking to him about his legacy. I think he was having a hard time with the inevitability of his death. He looked at me in a way I had never seen before and tearingly asked me whether he was a good man. It was thanksgiving of 2004 and we were all over at their house. I replied that every single person in the room was there because of him and that his impact on the world will greatly outlast him because there were about 70 people (at that time) who are at this moment because of him. All of the happy memories and relationships were forged because of him is the legacy that he leavs behind. That is why I think there is only purpose in life and we ourselves can in many ways can dictate that purpose. If your story has even an impact on only 1 person, you made a difference. I have no idea where this line comes from but I love it: "if you want meaning in your life, make someone else's life better." That is how I try to live my life. I wish you the best and don't ever give up on this one life you have. Hug

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
13-11-2015, 06:38 PM
what prompted me to join the forum
(10-11-2015 05:43 PM)I need new swear words g@d@m1t Wrote:  What are your views on death, life purpose

I have no words that can help you deal with death other than you just have to accept it. All of us will be recycled in a few years. I'm almost your age and I guarantee you that death will come upon me in a few years.

While you are still alive though, you should have a good time. If I knew that I only had one year left, I would smoke pot, do drugs, have unprotected sex with lots of anonymous people, etc. I would take out a large loan from a bank on 30 year terms and have a blast with the money.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
15-11-2015, 08:43 AM
Thank you for continuing to post.
I read it & it helps me. I am in a really bad place right now.
I want to eventually respond to your posts. Thanx again everybody.
15-11-2015, 08:59 AM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2015 09:04 AM by Peebothuhul.)
Hello! Big Grin

Sorry I'm late to reading your thread.

I hope Banjo comes across your posts. He and you have common ground.

Looking forwards to reading more from you, ya pleasant bugger! Thumbsup

Big Grin
15-11-2015, 07:53 PM
(15-11-2015 08:43 AM)I need new swear words g@d@m1t Wrote:  Thank you for continuing to post.
I read it & it helps me. I am in a really bad place right now.
I want to eventually respond to your posts. Thanx again everybody.

You don't even have to respond to anything specific if you don't want, just as long as you keep posting. Check in. Bitch and complain. Or even just tell us "I'm still here." Dark places suck man. I wish I was wise and had something I could say to make it less scary, but I can't. What I can do is sit with you in the dark and share some of your scared. I hope that helps a bit.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 7 users Like Stark Raving's post
26-11-2015, 06:34 PM
(10-11-2015 07:40 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Hug and Welcome to TTA.

My view on the purpose of life is that we make our own purpose and hopefully that purpose will be for the good of ourselves, for others, for animals, and for the earth. I don't believe you have to have children to have purpose.

I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through right now, but I'm glad you found TTA and I hope we can be a source of support for you Heart

I've been a vegetarian since 1990. Saved a few cats from impending death. I think the deal with the kids thing is a legacy. No one is going to remember me when I'm gone. Maybe it shouldn't matter to me.
26-11-2015, 06:37 PM
(10-11-2015 08:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Well, Kimmy taught me *Jesus H. Fucking Christ*.

That's a good one. Big Grin

Can I change my username?
[+] 1 user Likes I need new swear words g@d@m1t's post
26-11-2015, 06:43 PM
(10-11-2015 10:17 PM)julep Wrote:  Welcome!

I hope your doctors turn out to be wrong and that you have much more than a year left . In the meantime, this is a fun bunch of people and the conversations are interesting. You'll get support with less cosmic bullshit than elsewhere.

I actually supposedly have only a month and a half left. I also wouldn't mind more cosmic in my bullshitSmile
26-11-2015, 06:55 PM
(26-11-2015 06:37 PM)I need new swear words g@d@m1t Wrote:  
(10-11-2015 08:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Well, Kimmy taught me *Jesus H. Fucking Christ*.

That's a good one. Big Grin

Can I change my username?

You got the best username here Laugh out load why change it?

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like izel's post
27-11-2015, 12:35 AM
(26-11-2015 06:34 PM)I need new swear words g@d@m1t Wrote:  
(10-11-2015 07:40 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Hug and Welcome to TTA.

My view on the purpose of life is that we make our own purpose and hopefully that purpose will be for the good of ourselves, for others, for animals, and for the earth. I don't believe you have to have children to have purpose.

I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through right now, but I'm glad you found TTA and I hope we can be a source of support for you Heart

I've been a vegetarian since 1990. Saved a few cats from impending death. I think the deal with the kids thing is a legacy. No one is going to remember me when I'm gone. Maybe it shouldn't matter to me.

You know, you think that's true but no matter who you are you have affected someone in your life. Even a beggar who dies alone and seemingly no one cares about. I remember reading about some guy who was inspired to start a charity in India after seeing something like that. And you, you've probably worked with people, talked to people, bullshitted around a campfire somewhere. They might not remember it's you, but they will remember the thoughts you put into their mind. It's... a form of immortality. Without you, the world would be a different place. Maybe even here, now, seeing someone facing their death with courage, someone on the forum will draw strength from that. We all gotta go one day. I hope when I go that I can do so with some reasonable dignity.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post