what prompted me to join the forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-11-2015, 07:54 AM
RE: what prompted me to join the forum
An estimate of one year is tough. I am not a doctor but my understanding is that it means half go earlier and half go later. The first point in your favour is that the unlucky half is likely to contain critical cases who go within a few weeks. Your chances of being in the lucky half are likely better than 50/50. The second piece of good news is that if you are in the lucky half then there is a long tail. Many who do make the lucky half will live many times longer than the original estimate.

It's still not a good thing to hear. Death is inevitable but most of us can pretend it isn't coming for us most of the time. When I think of it myself my go to mantra is: I was dead for billions of years before I was born and it didn't inconvenience me in the slightest.

I "know" I won't be inconvenienced by being dead. I don't always feel it though. And the dying process scares me. Good luck with your case.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-11-2015, 08:14 AM
Here's a string of invective used when beating on some old plumbing.
"You GOD DAM Prick licking son of a bitch!"

Friends hired this ancient plumber who kept his tools behind the counter of the nastiest cocktail lounge in town, and overheard him going after the pipes with this tender little string of words. Each word punctuated by a hammer blow. They damn near peed their pants Big Grin

Keep coming around. We do listen if that helps you at all.
01-12-2015, 02:33 PM
(10-11-2015 09:00 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I try not to bother my friends. They are living their own lives and struggles.
Bother them. If not now, when?
I don't have cancer.
I'm not courageous, I'm not positive. That's why I joined this forum -
seeking perspective, reaching out, this is where I wound up & I'm glad I did. Shy
[+] 3 users Like I need new swear words g@d@m1t's post
13-12-2015, 03:35 PM
(12-11-2015 03:20 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Please, please keep posting.

Smile
13-12-2015, 03:41 PM
So if when I die I become energy & join the rest of the dust, what's missing is that which makes me unique. I am considering creating a facebook page [I'm not on facebook] but I guess they remove it when the person dies. What are you guys thoughts on how to leave something [relatively permanent] behind for others to remember by & to survive beyond my time?
13-12-2015, 03:45 PM
(10-11-2015 05:43 PM)I need new swear words g@d@m1t Wrote:  Greetings - my name is J**. I came across this site when I googled a topic that lead me to an article here. I made a comment to it. I decided to join the forum because I need an answer to a question. I am 49 & my doctor told me back in January that I have a yr to live. I am virtually all alone & do not believe in an afterlife. I struggle with dealing, especially with the finality of it. What are your views on death, life purpose [I am childless], etc. If there is a forum topic on this, please direct me - the amount of topics are overwhelming. Thnx, J.

Greetings J*** Glad to have you on board. I live retired in the Dominican Republic. I have a neighbor who is from Toronto and he was given a year or less to live 4 years ago. He is an avid religionist, but came here with his pension of almost $1000 a month on which one can live here, though not with a lot of luxuries. I know not if you have access to any such thing as a pension, but living on a tropical island may extend your life if the meds you need are available here. Saying it is not for everyone, but check it out, it may be for you. Sitting on the beach watching the little brown girls in their bikinis strutting back and forth can make one forget heavier problems!
13-12-2015, 03:46 PM
(13-12-2015 03:41 PM)I need new swear words g@d@m1t Wrote:  So if when I die I become energy & join the rest of the dust, what's missing is that which makes me unique. I am considering creating a facebook page [I'm not on facebook] but I guess they remove it when the person dies. What are you guys thoughts on how to leave something [relatively permanent] behind for others to remember by & to survive beyond my time?

Does Farcebook get a death notification when one dies? My sister's was up for 4 years after she was gone. A sister-in-law finally figured out how to remove it.
13-12-2015, 05:09 PM (This post was last modified: 13-12-2015 05:13 PM by jennybee.)
(13-12-2015 03:41 PM)I need new swear words g@d@m1t Wrote:  So if when I die I become energy & join the rest of the dust, what's missing is that which makes me unique. I am considering creating a facebook page [I'm not on facebook] but I guess they remove it when the person dies. What are you guys thoughts on how to leave something [relatively permanent] behind for others to remember by & to survive beyond my time?

A scholarship fund is a nice idea--depending on your financial situation of course.

I read a story awhile back about this person who loved to give big tips to people who worked at restaurants --waitstaff he thought could really use the money. After his passing, his family went to several different restaurants leaving various $100-$500 tips. They also told the waitstaff the story of why they left such a large tip.

Possibly carving your initials or name and a little message hidden somewhere in your house or on your property.

Maybe give to a charity or have family members donate to a favorite charity of yours in your honor.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
13-12-2015, 05:44 PM
Plant a tree.
[+] 1 user Likes jabeady's post
13-12-2015, 05:46 PM
(13-12-2015 05:44 PM)jabeady Wrote:  
Plant a tree.

Great idea!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi