what should l say to a brother who has gone christian and trying to impose it onto me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2014, 06:11 AM
Video what should l say to a brother who has gone christian and trying to impose it onto me
he recently gave me a "gift" a paper wrapped book in our rare meetings. l guessed it was a bible.'it isn't,' he said. it was "THE STORY" "THE BIBLE AS ONE CONTINUING STORY OF GOD AND HIS PEOPLE" as detailed in http://www.amazon.com/The-Story-NIV-Cont...B004OR18FG

l asked him if it was a cherry picked book, to which he said it wasn't. l tried to politely reject it as he knows l am atheist. But he insisted and said l will be touched by it.
l said ok, so long as you read my email response. While politely rejecting, l told him why don't you read the numerous chapters of atrocities and barbaric sadism committed by your imaginary god. eg "First of all, in some passages God seems to tacitly sanction rape. In the Old Testament Moses encourages his men to use captured virgins for their own sexual pleasure, i.e. to rape them. After urging his men to kill the male captives and female captive who are not virgins he says: "But all the young girls who have not known man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves (Num. 31: 18)." God then explicitly rewards Moses by urging him to distribute the spoils. He does not rebuke Moses or his men (Num. 31: 25-27").

to this he just shakes his head continuously and says,'there are better qualified people who can respond to God's acts, and l dont have to justify my belief'

please give me what l should include in my email. l know l will include many other cold blooded barbaric atrocities committed by this imaginary god. fact is his imaginary god's atrocities would make the sum total of every evil tyrant, serial child, adult killer, total crimes, that have, ever, lived, seem like a none event.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Ruby's post
19-11-2014, 06:42 AM
RE: what should l say to a brother who has gone christian and trying to impose it onto me
(19-11-2014 06:11 AM)Ruby Wrote:  he recently gave me a "gift" a paper wrapped book in our rare meetings. l guessed it was a bible.'it isn't,' he said. it was "THE STORY" "THE BIBLE AS ONE CONTINUING STORY OF GOD AND HIS PEOPLE" as detailed in http://www.amazon.com/The-Story-NIV-Cont...B004OR18FG

l asked him if it was a cherry picked book, to which he said it wasn't. l tried to politely reject it as he knows l am atheist. But he insisted and said l will be touched by it.
l said ok, so long as you read my email response. While politely rejecting, l told him why don't you read the numerous chapters of atrocities and barbaric sadism committed by your imaginary god. eg "First of all, in some passages God seems to tacitly sanction rape. In the Old Testament Moses encourages his men to use captured virgins for their own sexual pleasure, i.e. to rape them. After urging his men to kill the male captives and female captive who are not virgins he says: "But all the young girls who have not known man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves (Num. 31: 18)." God then explicitly rewards Moses by urging him to distribute the spoils. He does not rebuke Moses or his men (Num. 31: 25-27").

to this he just shakes his head continuously and says,'there are better qualified people who can respond to God's acts, and l dont have to justify my belief'

please give me what l should include in my email. l know l will include many other cold blooded barbaric atrocities committed by this imaginary god. fact is his imaginary god's atrocities would make the sum total of every evil tyrant, serial child, adult killer, total crimes, that have, ever, lived, seem like a none event.

G'day; I'm sorry to hear of your brother. Once gone to the Dark (ages), it's so hard to return.

Unfortunately, I've never read the bool and lets face it I probably never will, so I can't help on that score, sorry.

I will comment on one thing: "l dont have to justify my belief".
Buuuuuullllshit! If your brother wants his beliefs to be taken by anyone (who actually thinks, that is), he must justify his belief: every belief should rightfully require justification and his skirting the issue is quite telling: Seems to me like he knows it's bullshit but he simply can't admit it to himself, and thus is hiding from the fact by not justifying his belief in the genocidal Jewish war god because it would require thinking and honest assessment.

For your email, I'd suggest listing every Jewgod atrocity you can muster. Perhaps you might find some goods like Karen Armstrong's A History of God or similar works and give him a little traipse through the roses of reality when it comes to what his god truly is.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
19-11-2014, 07:02 AM
RE: what should l say to a brother who has gone christian and trying to impose it onto me
Tell your bro that if he wants *you* to believe then he *does* have to justify his beliefs to you - he's trying to convince you after all - but if he keeps it to himself then everyone's happy.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 11 users Like morondog's post
19-11-2014, 09:11 AM
Been there, done that, told him to keep his crap to himself.

Of course, if you want to continue a relationship with your brother, you may want to use a little more tact.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
19-11-2014, 10:16 AM
I would think "Go Fuck Yourself" would work well. He's a brother. You don't have to be polite.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
19-11-2014, 08:30 PM
I would probably gift him a copy of "The God Delusion."

I am still learning. --Michelangelo, age 87
[+] 4 users Like ComradeBunny's post
19-11-2014, 08:57 PM (This post was last modified: 20-11-2014 06:28 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(19-11-2014 08:30 PM)ComradeBunny Wrote:  I would probably gift him a copy of "The God Delusion."

Or a copy of Dr. Richard Elliott Friedmann's "Who Wrote the Bible", and then tell him it was people handing over responsibility to others "who know better" that was the cause of some of THE most evil happenings, ever, in the world, and it is HIS responsibility to be able to reason FOR HIMSELF.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
20-11-2014, 08:10 AM (This post was last modified: 20-11-2014 08:16 AM by The Organic Chemist.)
I suggest "Misquoting Jesus" by Bart Ehrman. The introduction is amazing as he is basically telling his story which may ring a bell with him. If he reads it, it may help demystify the bible and maybe he will back off you a little since Ehrman is a world-renowned bible scholar and he does a very good job at illustrating that the bible is an incredible piece of historical literature but it is also nothing more than literature. I loved it. The God delusion is a good one too but Dawkins also is a little blunt in places and that may turn him off. Ehrman never criticizes believers but instead simply states the facts and ties it together without a condescending tone. Additionally, it is about half as long as the God Delusion and is 10 bucks on Amazon (with Prime), the perfect stocking stuffer IMO.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
20-11-2014, 09:13 AM
I don't want to come off as defeatist here, but you're just wasting your time (by writing that kind of email). If your brother is that far gone, no amount of evidence and god slandering will get him to open his eyes. If he's pushing that drivel on you then he is beyond your ability to show him the truth. What I think you should be doing is trying to reach an amicable resolution where he stops proselytizing you and you stop having to reject his bullshit.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
20-11-2014, 09:22 AM
what should l say to a brother who has gone christian and trying to impose it onto me
Courtesy of "he who must not be contacted" Facebook feed today

tell your brother this….
[Image: imagejpg1_zpsbae18e0c.jpg]

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 6 users Like Bows and Arrows's post