what should l say to a brother who has gone christian and trying to impose it onto me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2014, 08:31 AM
RE: what should l say to a brother ....
(19-11-2014 06:11 AM)Ruby Wrote:  'there are better qualified people who can respond to God's acts, and l dont have to justify my belief'
That swings both ways. I don't have to justify my lack of belief either. Let's just leave it to William Lane Craig v. Richard Dawkins, Sye Ten Bruggencate v. Aronra, Ray Comfort v. Matt Dillahunty.

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
27-11-2014, 06:46 PM
RE: what should l say to a brother who has gone christian and trying to impose it onto me
This is a battle of the wits. He's trying to change you and you him. He makes the same excuses most evangelists use about the horrific acts listed in the bible. If you continue to correspond with your brother, he's winning.
27-11-2014, 06:57 PM
RE: what should l say to a brother who has gone christian and trying to impose it onto me
Give him the audio book God Is Not Great - it's read by Hitch and it is more than convincing. It puts the nail in the coffin of doubt. Tell him you want to discuss it with him when he's finished.

Most of all, just show him and everyone your best self; represent. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
27-11-2014, 07:23 PM
(27-11-2014 06:57 PM)kim Wrote:  Give him the audio book God Is Not Great - it's read by Hitch and it is more than convincing. It puts the nail in the coffin of doubt. Tell him you want to discuss it with him when he's finished.

Most of all, just show him and everyone your best self; represent. Shy

I remember listening to that at work a few years ago. It was pretty good.
27-11-2014, 08:22 PM
(19-11-2014 06:11 AM)Ruby Wrote:  he recently gave me a "gift" a paper wrapped book in our rare meetings. l guessed it was a bible.'it isn't,' he said. it was "THE STORY" "THE BIBLE AS ONE CONTINUING STORY OF GOD AND HIS PEOPLE" as detailed in http://www.amazon.com/The-Story-NIV-Cont...B004OR18FG

l asked him if it was a cherry picked book, to which he said it wasn't. l tried to politely reject it as he knows l am atheist. But he insisted and said l will be touched by it.
l said ok, so long as you read my email response. While politely rejecting, l told him why don't you read the numerous chapters of atrocities and barbaric sadism committed by your imaginary god. eg "First of all, in some passages God seems to tacitly sanction rape. In the Old Testament Moses encourages his men to use captured virgins for their own sexual pleasure, i.e. to rape them. After urging his men to kill the male captives and female captive who are not virgins he says: "But all the young girls who have not known man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves (Num. 31: 18)." God then explicitly rewards Moses by urging him to distribute the spoils. He does not rebuke Moses or his men (Num. 31: 25-27").

to this he just shakes his head continuously and says,'there are better qualified people who can respond to God's acts, and l dont have to justify my belief'

please give me what l should include in my email. l know l will include many other cold blooded barbaric atrocities committed by this imaginary god. fact is his imaginary god's atrocities would make the sum total of every evil tyrant, serial child, adult killer, total crimes, that have, ever, lived, seem like a none event.

When you engage him on this subject, you give his delusion validity. Just laugh and say I don't subscribe to mythology. You have nothing to justify, it is all on him. He who makes the ridiculous assertion must substantiate it...or expect derision.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 4 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
27-11-2014, 09:41 PM
Just tell him you hope he gets well soon.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
28-11-2014, 12:41 AM
(19-11-2014 06:11 AM)Ruby Wrote:  please give me what l should include in my email. l know l will include many other cold blooded barbaric atrocities committed by this imaginary god. fact is his imaginary god's atrocities would make the sum total of every evil tyrant, serial child, adult killer, total crimes, that have, ever, lived, seem like a none event.

It doesn't matter what the Bible says whether it is good, bad, right or wrong. Why? Because unless someone can produce this being referred to as God then the bible is no more real than a Harry Potter book.

Your brother can't prove that God is real by using the bible so why do you want to prove that God isn't real by using the bible?
28-11-2014, 02:32 AM
If you try debating with him he will see this as meaning that he has a chance to convert you. If he believes that there is a chance that you can be saved from Hell then he will take it. Eventually there will have to come a time when you have to sit him down and tell him, look, I'm never going to be a Christian so you might as well give up trying.

This alone may not be enough to dissuade him from trying if there is no cost to it, but if each time he tries you slap his argument down a notch and pose difficult questions then he will eventually give up.

At least that's how it worked out with my born again Christian brother.
01-12-2014, 01:51 PM
(19-11-2014 06:11 AM)Ruby Wrote:  to this he just shakes his head continuously and says,'there are better qualified people who can respond to God's acts, and l dont have to justify my belief'

I'll be honest: if I were in that situation, I'd be tempted to dump it in the trash in front of him and say "there are better qualified people who can explain why this book is trash, and I don't have to justify my lack of belief."

Granted, that's super harsh, and probably not good advice. Still, the whole double standard of "I believe weird things that I can't even explain, and YOU CAN, TOO!" really pisses me off. It's offensive in ways that many believers simply don't even see.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post