what type of fallacy is this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-07-2015, 11:50 AM
what type of fallacy is this?
This sure sounds like a fallacy but I can't seem pinpoint it. Maybe the false analogy fallacy? weak analogy fallacy? and maybe presupposition fallacy (that the god claim was satisfied)?

Religion is like a credit card. There's visa, MasterCard, AmEx, etc but it's all credit at the end of the day. Think of God as the credit, and religious groups are the card companies. It doesn't matter what card you choose, as long as your credit with God is good.

Someone help me out? Is it one? I'm trying to learn the different logical fallacies.

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-07-2015, 12:02 PM
RE: what type of fallacy is this?
Except if it were real it would work like a shrill business when you get to heaven they'll say.. "Oh I'm sorry we don't take discover"

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 3 users Like ClydeLee's post
14-07-2015, 12:10 PM
(14-07-2015 11:50 AM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  This sure sounds like a fallacy but I can't seem pinpoint it. Maybe the false analogy fallacy? weak analogy fallacy? and maybe presupposition fallacy (that the god claim was satisfied)?

Religion is like a credit card. There's visa, MasterCard, AmEx, etc but it's all credit at the end of the day. Think of God as the credit, and religious groups are the card companies. It doesn't matter what card you choose, as long as your credit with God is good.

Someone help me out? Is it one? I'm trying to learn the different logical fallacies.

Probably false analogy, every Christian asserts that THEIR version of the Truth is the one Truth.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
14-07-2015, 12:16 PM
Most religions are morally bankrupt anyway.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
14-07-2015, 12:20 PM
Yeah, false analogy.
14-07-2015, 01:03 PM
(14-07-2015 11:50 AM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  This sure sounds like a fallacy but I can't seem pinpoint it. Maybe the false analogy fallacy? weak analogy fallacy? and maybe presupposition fallacy (that the god claim was satisfied)?

That... is DEFINITELY a poor analogy. "Credit" isn't some vague, abstract, independently-existing force. It's a specific concession or agreement that individual creditors (the card companies) grant you or not as they choose. Without the companies... or with the companies, but with none of them willing to grant you credit... there wouldn't be any credit. That's not the model of God that this person is actually trying to put forward.

I wouldn't care to describe this as a fallacious, though, because it's not an argument. It's someone trying to articulate through metaphor their view of how it all works, and I highly doubt they're trying to provide justification for their god because that's how credit cards work. It's an assertion, instead. Fallacies are for arguments, not assertions.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
14-07-2015, 01:05 PM
(14-07-2015 11:50 AM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  Religion is like a credit card. There's visa, MasterCard, AmEx, etc but it's all credit at the end of the day. Think of God as the credit, and religious groups are the card companies. It doesn't matter what card you choose, as long as your credit with God is good.

Who makes the monthly payments?

#sigh
14-07-2015, 01:25 PM
(14-07-2015 01:05 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-07-2015 11:50 AM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  Religion is like a credit card. There's visa, MasterCard, AmEx, etc but it's all credit at the end of the day. Think of God as the credit, and religious groups are the card companies. It doesn't matter what card you choose, as long as your credit with God is good.

Who makes the monthly payments?

No one, the account's been in collections for a couple of thousand years now.
14-07-2015, 02:01 PM
its more of an analogy, and a poorly thought-out analogy at that
14-07-2015, 02:09 PM
For some reason when I read the title of this post all I could think of was Weird Al's "That's Your Horoscope For Today" and thinking we need a parody of that for fallacies. (There's already a World of Warcraft parody of the song, so it works, it works! </desperation>)