Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2014, 05:12 AM
what was the christian dark ages like ?
just curios, I'm having trouble finding anything about it
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2014, 05:15 AM
RE: what was the christian dark ages like ?
Can't you see it?

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 2 users Like CiderThinker's post
02-09-2014, 05:48 AM
For many who live in fundamental theocracies...This age is a dark age.

don't believe everything you think
02-09-2014, 05:53 AM
(02-09-2014 05:12 AM)Ace Wrote:  just curios, I'm having trouble finding anything about it

Ahh the good ol' Dark Ages.

As I understand it, the term 'Dark Ages' first came to being because we know little about the period; it effectively went dark, so please remember that.

The period following the collapse of the Roman Empire known colloquial as the Dark Ages is typically described to have been marred by economic regression, frequent wars and a decrease in urban life.
Health conditions would have sucked, especially as sanitation practises seen in the Greco-Roman world would likely have slowly fallen out of favour as much of the prior existing urban sprawl in the Roman influenced world ebbed away.

Religion was likely a strong factor of life; both as a tool for the ever-growing clergy and a mechanism for hope for the people. Intellectualism was not very common unless you looked to the Arabic world which was at the time busy preserving Grecian and Roman works so that it could flip out and destroy them centuries later.

Conditions steadily improved over time.

Unfortunately, that's all I was taught.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
02-09-2014, 09:00 AM
Perhaps not so dark after all.
02-09-2014, 09:16 AM
(02-09-2014 05:53 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  lots of words

so basically there's next to no info on it, oh well

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for some strange reason I'm getting the distinct feeling that there will be apologetic idiots running rampant like herpes on the internet saying it was a golden age of some kind and its end was a terrible thing
02-09-2014, 09:25 AM
NO! WE DO know a lot about the dark ages. Very few in Europe's population outside the church could read or write. Lack of education made it very easy for superstition to fester and very easy for the church to create lemmings and be brutal to opposition. Christians like to claim to be the heros who pulled humans out of it. No, they created lemmings and were kind only to sheep, but very brutal to anyone who did not buy what the church sold.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-09-2014, 09:27 AM
(02-09-2014 09:16 AM)Ace Wrote:  for some strange reason I'm getting the distinct feeling that there will be apologetic idiots running rampant like herpes on the internet saying it was a golden age of some kind and its end was a terrible thing

No, but you will get people saying it's not as bad as we thought. I've never heard anyone seriously defend the dark ages.
02-09-2014, 10:24 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2014 11:04 AM by ClydeLee.)
Some people now dislike the tern dark ages(because they seem to think it implies more than it does), but I don't care to deny that. It's the dark ages when you are talking about Europe. But the term Christian dark ages is invalid. It's better fitting to call it the Christian Golden Age... it was the dark ages in terms of the spread of information, arts, improvements in living conditions, etc. Weren't as advancing on a rate they were under Roman rule until the rise of merchant classes really improved these things.

What were they like? Very more frequently determined by your unchosen actions such as birth status. Basically a bunch of stereotypes that fit within a bucket.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
02-09-2014, 11:00 AM
There's a lot of sanctimonious prejudice in this thread - an article of faith to bash a period of history.

I don't know squat about the period so I poked around Google - and kept finding evidence that historians don't like to use the term because it connotes a prejudice, and not an accurate one.

The resources instantly accessible vs Google make the OP, in my opinion, a pointless exercise. The inquiry produced a lot of commonly held pejorative opinions at the top of people's minds. Five minutes in Google produced credible information almost entirely opposite the common view.

Perhaps 50 minutes in Google might pile up more evidence supporting the common view, but I regard Google the same way I regard a hand of Poker: the first five cards are it. Drawing to the hand usually improves it, but rarely worsens it.