whats the origin of the words hypothesis and scientific theory?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-11-2012, 10:34 PM
whats the origin of the words hypothesis and scientific theory?
I often wondered how come we call a possible collection of facts a Hypothesis and the confirmation of the aforementioned Hypothesis a Theory.

Basically what i am asking where does those descriptions used in modern day science originate from, is there any particular "time" the decision to use the words Hypothesis and Scientific Theory to describe an explanation and the confirmation of the explanation as correct?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-11-2012, 10:38 PM
RE: whats the origin of the words hypothesis and scientific theory?
Quote:hypothesis (n.) [Image: dictionary.gif]1590s, from M.Fr. hypothese and directly from L.L. hypothesis, from Gk. hypothesis "base, basis of an argument, supposition," lit. "a placing under," from hypo- "under" (see sub-) + thesis "a placing, proposition" (see thesis). A term in logic; narrower scientific sense is from 1640s.
Quote:theory (n.) [Image: dictionary.gif]1590s, "conception, mental scheme," from L.L. theoria (Jerome), from Gk. theoria "contemplation, speculation, a looking at, things looked at," from theorein "to consider, speculate, look at," from theoros "spectator," from thea "a view" + horan "to see" (see warrant).
Sense of "principles or methods of a science or art (rather than its
practice)" is first recorded 1610s. That of "an explanation based on
observation and reasoning" is from 1630s.
Source: Online Etymology Dictionary

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
26-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Didn´t know the concepts was THAT old nor that scientists started to use those terms way back then.
I wonder why arguments such as its only a theory still exists, you would think they had gone the way of the dodo´s.
27-11-2012, 12:05 AM
(26-11-2012 11:19 PM)Erikjust Wrote:  Didn´t know the concepts was THAT old nor that scientists started to use those terms way back then.
I wonder why arguments such as its only a theory still exists, you would think they had gone the way of the dodo´s.

It's because the colloquial usage of the term "theory" means "guess." The religious think scientists are "guessing," while they "know" what the bible says about the creation of the universe and man is true.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-11-2012, 09:29 PM
An hypothesis in science is a component of the scientific method.

A scientific theory is an explanation of a natural phenomenon based on a body of facts that were validated through the scientific method.

Gravity - natural phenomenon.

Physical bodies attract to each other - fact.

Two objects of different mass falling from the same height would hit the ground at the same time - hypothesis.

General relativity - Scientific theory

So, it really pisses me off when someone says that scientists only have theories, meaning scientists are guessing. That is why I think it should be revised this nomenclature!
27-11-2012, 11:05 PM
We should revise our nomenclature so that idiots understand it better ? Laughat
27-11-2012, 11:56 PM
(27-11-2012 11:05 PM)morondog Wrote:  We should revise our nomenclature so that idiots understand it better ? Laughat
Nice point Smile. The problem is that these idots can be opinion makers (Fox news...). And I think that the scientific community must make an extra effort to explain what science is (mea culpa as scientist). And yes idiots need to understand it better!!
We need more people like Richard Dawkins.
28-11-2012, 01:23 AM
(27-11-2012 11:56 PM)tiagorod84 Wrote:  
(27-11-2012 11:05 PM)morondog Wrote:  We should revise our nomenclature so that idiots understand it better ? Laughat
Nice point Smile. The problem is that these idots can be opinion makers (Fox news...). And I think that the scientific community must make an extra effort to explain what science is (mea culpa as scientist). And yes idiots need to understand it better!!
We need more people like Richard Dawkins.
You're right of course. A nomenclature that is easily understandable is better for everyone, including scientists. But I think this one has been entrenched for so long that any attempt to change it will just generate more confusion, and add more grist to the 'I'm dumb and I have an opinion' crowd's mill.