whats your favorite music say about you

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2015, 04:45 PM
RE: whats your favorite music say about you
Nice list, MSBB. I remember every one of those songs, and I like most of them. But I rarely listen to that stuff anymore, unless it comes on the radio (my officemate always has a radio on, and sometimes tunes to a station that plays songs from that era).

At home, I tend to focus (obsessively, some might say) on one thing at a time, but what that one thing is can be all over the map. For the last few weeks, I have been listening exclusively to Miles Davis and John Coltrane recordings from the 1960s. Before that, a bunch of John Scofield. Before that, I spent a few weeks listening to Bartok. Before that, I played through everything I have by Joni Mitchell (and I have just about everything she's done). Somewhere in there, I listened to a bunch of Herbie Hancock, and a bunch of classical piano music, and the new release of Bob Dylan's complete Basement Tapes. Not too long ago, I went through my entire Los Lobos collection (again, almost everything they've done). And so on. My CD collection spans the entire history of classical and jazz music, plus a lot of rock, pop, country, blues, etc. -- most of that from the 1960s and 1970s, although I have kept up with newer stuff by some of the artists I liked during those years (Dylan, the Rolling Stones, etc.). I couldn't name my 15 favorite songs if my life depended on it -- there are far, far more than just 15.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2015, 04:50 PM
I like to the Foo Fighters. What does that say about me?

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
16-03-2015, 04:54 PM
(16-03-2015 04:40 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(16-03-2015 04:33 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Yes and no. It was jointly written by Crosby, Stills, and Paul Kantner of the Airplane. Both bands recorded it and released it at about the same time -- and both played it at Woodstock! So it could be credited to either band, or both.

Thank you! I am a huge CSNY fan so that's the version I know.

I'm much more familiar with that version myself, and it is my preference as well. Stills' guitar is to die for! But I used to have a Jefferson Airplane compilation that included their version, so I knew that both bands did it.
16-03-2015, 04:56 PM
(16-03-2015 04:54 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(16-03-2015 04:40 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Thank you! I am a huge CSNY fan so that's the version I know.

I'm much more familiar with that version myself, and it is my preference as well. Stills' guitar is to die for! But I used to have a Jefferson Airplane compilation that included their version, so I knew that both bands did it.

The harmonies of CSNY get me every time. Simply wonderful. Smile

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
21-03-2015, 04:08 PM
Right now my favorite song is Der Holle Rache, from Mozart's The Magic Flute, in which the Queen of the Night tells her developmentally disabled daughter, Pamina, to kill the evil cult leader, Sarastro. It's one of the most intensely beautiful coloratura arias in all of opera. (Note: The conventional view is that Sarastro is the good guy, but he's effectively the 18th century equivalent of a slimy televangelist.) (Another note: Pamina is obviously developmentally disabled, because she falls in love with Tamino, before ever seeing him, merely because someone tells her that he's in love with her. For his part, he falls in love with her upon seeing a miniature portrait painting of her. Both of them end up falling into Sarastro's clutches. But the music is wonderful. I recommend listening to it without the translation.) Edda Moser is my favorite Queen of the Night. She captures both the drama and the music.

What it says about me? Maybe that I like strong women who know what they want and aren't afraid to go after it. Mostly, though what it says about me is that I like Mozart.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
21-03-2015, 04:20 PM
(16-03-2015 04:33 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(15-03-2015 03:39 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I would agree with many of these. But I think Wooden Ships was CSNY, wasn't it.

Yes and no. It was jointly written by Crosby, Stills, and Paul Kantner of the Airplane. Both bands recorded it and released it at about the same time -- and both played it at Woodstock! So it could be credited to either band, or both.

Music was by David Crosby, Steven Stills and Paul Kanter (Jefferson Airplane) wrote the lyrics. Both recorded it in 1969 and each are a little different. CS&N wanted Kanter credited on their version but the record company refused.

I enjoy both versions, but at the time I was making up the playlist for that mood, I chose Jefferson Airlplane's version for its uniqueness.

I think you can find it on YouTube. Smile

Yes, I think about my playlists just that much. Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

22-03-2015, 03:37 AM
Few of my favorites from the top of my head in no particular order.

Pink Floyd - Mother, Comfortably numb, Money, Wish you were here (and a couple more )

RHCP - Scar tissue (and a couple more )

Doors - The End (and a couple more )

Jefferson Airplane - Pretty as you feel

Jimi Hendrix ....

Beatles - Norwegian wood

Paco de Lucia ....

and so on...

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
22-03-2015, 06:13 AM
I don't now; maybe that I like good music of whatever flavour?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-03-2015, 12:54 PM
Mechina: "Conqueror", "Erebus"
Limp Bizkit: "Ready to Go"
Behemoth: "Ben Sahar", "O Father, O Satan, O Sun"
Anaal Nathrakh: (Pretty much all of them)
Amy Winehouse: "Back to Black"
Dead Can Dance: "The Host of Seraphim"
Eminem: "White America", "Lose Yourself", "Kim"
Enya: "Tempus Vernum/Deora Ar Mo Chroi"
Adele: "Skyfall", "Rolling in the Deep", "Fire to the Rain"
Evanescence: "Imaginary", "Sweet Sacrifice"
Fall Out Boy: "Centuries", "My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark"
Fun.: "We Are Young"
Ghost/Ghost B.C.: (Again, pretty much all of them)
Godsmack: "I Stand Alone"
Gorgoroth: "Sign of An Open Eye"
Lady Gaga: "Americano", "Mary Jane Holland"
Ice Cube: "Fuck Dying"
Imagine Dragons: "Warriors"
John Murphy: "Don Abandons Alice (28 Weeks Later soundtrack)"
Katatonia: "Buildings"
Korn: (Literally every song pre-Path Of Totality era)
Laibach: "The Whistleblowers", "No History", "Bossanova"
Led Zeppelin: "Kashmir", "When the Levee Breaks"
The Mamas and the Papas: "California Dreamin'"
Marilyn Manson: "If I Was Your Vampire"
Moonspell: "Night Eternal", "First Light"
Motionless In White: "Sinematic"
Mushroomhead: (All of it)
Nirvana: "Smells Like Teen Spirit"
Pink Floyd: "Hey You"
Rammstein: (All of it)
Smash Mouth: "Walkin' On the Sun"
Spektr: "No Longer Human Senses"
Static-X: "Love Dump", "Bled For Days"
Strapping Young Lad: (All of it)
Therion: "The Invincible", "O Fortuna"
Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross (feat. Karen O): "Immigrant Song (Girl With the Dragon Tattoo soundtrack)"
Dave Stewart: "Love Lives"
Wormed: "Darkflow Quadrivium"
Alanis Morisette: "Uninvited"

...I got carried away again. Blush

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-04-2015, 06:13 PM
[img][Image: music_zpsa9irdyza.jpg][/img]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat