whayt if tommorow they proved therewas no free will

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-07-2014, 06:05 PM
whayt if tommorow they proved therewas no free will
no literally.... what if tomorrow they published a sound, peer reviewed proven theory that there was no such thing as fee will.

1. what would you do.
2., what would society do
3. what would that even mean.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-07-2014, 12:37 AM
RE: whayt if tommorow they proved therewas no free will
Even if we did have free will the relentless impingements of chance would negate most of its influence. Thus scientific proof that free will was only delusion would for a few years cause some existential hair tearing but we'd soon realize that life proceeds as it has always proceeded (as it would, since simply discovering its non-existence would not change the fact that it had always not existed), and we would pick up our dropped delusions, dust them off and restore them to their niches in our minds and stash the papers of discovery in the warehouse next to the Lost Ark.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
15-07-2014, 12:59 AM
(14-07-2014 06:05 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  no literally.... what if tomorrow they published a sound, peer reviewed proven theory that there was no such thing as fee will.

1. what would you do.

Simile:
I'd become as delusional as a theist Big Grin

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
15-07-2014, 01:08 AM
(14-07-2014 06:05 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  no literally.... what if tomorrow they published a sound, peer reviewed proven theory that there was no such thing as fee will.

1. what would you do.
I don't think this is existentially possible.
If our greatest evolved minds concluded such, I imagine there would still be detractors.
What of a cosmic intelligence apart from humanity?
Even if we are largely wired to act in certain ways, it is hard it to claim that we have no choice whatsoever.

I wouldn't accept that I was totally an automaton.
Big Pharma would probably come up with a new pill.
It would be pretty scary, I imagine...........
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
15-07-2014, 01:12 AM
If free will were proven illusory, there is only one way to answer the questions with any certainty.

1. Whatever naturally followed from the physics of the cosmos.
2. Whatever naturally followed from the physics of the cosmos.
3. Whatever meaning you must think it has, based on the now proven inalterable interactions of the universe.
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
15-07-2014, 01:13 AM
I guess it wouldn't really change anything huh

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
15-07-2014, 01:15 AM
The scientists would first have to provide a definition of free will. Aaron Sloman of Birmingham University once published a paper trying to define free will and came to the conclusion that it was not possible to do. He has since removed it from his site, I am not sure why. It was a good paper.

Not that the theists would care. After all, they still continue talking about souls despite overwhelming scientific evidence that consciousness and a sense of identity requires a physical and active brain. They don't even take into account the laws of thermodynamics which is about as established science as you can get.
15-07-2014, 01:32 AM

1. what would you do.
I'd ask the compatibilists yet again to explain to me how determinism and free will are compatible.
15-07-2014, 05:49 AM
In all honesty I don't think that it would change much for society or the individual. Circumstances often require an immediate response forcing us to react in flux with our current situation and thorough consideration is often an after thought. Certainly for me anyway lol, I am more than happy to admit that I am a slave to my temperament. I subscribe to determinism but that hasn't aided me in learning to react more favourably to stress. Whatever our understanding of the cause of a reaction doesn't change the reaction itself. Some may see it as an opportunity to shed themselves of responsibility for their actions. Others may be forced to consider their actions and what experiences may have coloured those decisions. Some may be more (or less) forbearing when subjected to other people's behaviour.
[+] 1 user Likes Seldon's post
15-07-2014, 06:03 AM
Re: whayt if tommorow they proved therewas no free will
I would do whatever I was determined to do.

And probably would call myself a compatibilist. I guess some folks will outrageously act out but I think minor changes at most would occur

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post