whayt if tommorow they proved therewas no free will

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2014, 06:02 PM
RE: whayt if tommorow they proved therewas no free will
(17-07-2014 04:44 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(17-07-2014 09:07 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Okay, this might be silly, but...

...what about when we make changes to our behavior? When yes, whatever we are feeling would dictate to us to act or react in a certain manner, but we choose to do differently? How is something like that not indicative of free will? Or, worded another way, how would that fit into a scenario where free will is an illusion?

(EA always gets hella nervous when posting in the serious sections Blush )

Your brain has been registering bad results from previous behaviors for too long. If none of your other conditioning, both from evolution (your hardware, the collective experiences of your ancestors) and experience (your software, experiences registered during this life), is strong enough to prevent change, you will change. If either your hardware or your software conflicts with the change, it will not happen.

I like that analogy a lot. Thanks! Big Grin

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-07-2014, 08:09 AM
Free will here! Get your free will here!
..... It's only $2.99 a kilo...
27-07-2014, 07:49 PM
whayt if tommorow they proved therewas no free will
I would not care one bit. If there never was free will in the first place (which I do not know or care whether there is), then what difference does it make?

Free will is just a word on whether we can truly choose our actions, but I internally feel like I have the ability to rationally analyze and choose options.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-07-2014, 08:01 AM
People who try to convince others there is no free will rely on the fact that other people do have free will and thus can be convinced Smartass
28-07-2014, 10:12 AM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2014 10:17 AM by Michael_Tadlock.)
Defining free will is the hard part. Free will sometimes means operates independently of any and all external influences. We already know that doesn't exist. Free will might mean not predictable; our minds operate according to principles that are not entirely material or not purely deterministic. There is no reason to believe that is the case.

If you believe the universe is deterministic, and that we humans are entirely material, then it necessarily follows that human beings every thought and action are theoretically predictable and therefore not fee. In the sense that we often use the word, free will means intelligent enough to contemplate decisions and being without overt external influences (ie gun to your head). By that definition free will certainly exists, and that definition is compatible with a material and deterministic universe.

So, for question three, what does it mean, it would depend a lot on how you choose to define free will. It is a subjective question I think. It would depend on how you think about free will.

1) I don't believe in free will in the purely philosophical sense. A scientific quantification of that probably wouldn't effect me much at all.
2) I doubt society would change at all. People would write it off completely.
28-07-2014, 10:29 AM
Yeah, there must be an interesting definition of free will that I don't know about. As far as I understand I have free will (maybe I'm the only one? Tongue). Sure the majority of my actions are guided by my fears, tendencies, current context, and morals. But that doesn't mean I couldn't deviate from those if I chose to. I'm a bit confused on how the ability to choose how I interact with the world is not free will.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
29-07-2014, 02:20 AM
[Image: 53066373.jpg]