where do feelings come from ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2013, 04:45 PM
where do feelings come from ?
Hi, I am an atheist from Turkey and i have a question that i couldn't answer. Atheists believe in materialism which says we are biological machines. I am content with the atheist explanation of the creation of our DNA and other organs. However, i do not understand how we can have feelings such as love,fear,sadness and happiness. Are there any scientific formulas for these feelings ? Basically i want an answer for this simple question from atheists : HUMAN = ATOMS + ?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2013, 07:25 PM
RE: where do feelings come from ?
Emotions are reactions to stimuli around us and they can also be triggered by hormones. Different emotions release various chemicals which allow us to function more efficiently in a given situation.

For example, let's say you and your family are camping.

A bear shows up.

Immediately, you experience fear, and you can actually feel adrenaline being released into your body. Adrenaline is your fight or flight hormone. So the visual stimulus has alerted your body that danger exists, and the body responds with fear and releases adrenaline. Now, whether you fight or flee, the adrenaline will help you to be faster doing it.

Now let's say the bear picks up your baby. Now you feel anger, and even more adrenaline pours into your body. You race at the bear and snatch the baby. A shot rings out and the bear drops dead, your wife shot him.

Now you are flooded with feelings of love, love for the little helpless child in your arms, love for your wife, and your body is flooded with dopamine. This makes you calm down.

If it isn't enough to calm you, tears will form and you will cry in relief, and even more dopamine gets released.

Emotions are the memories of all your ancestors in one, they pop up instantly and ready your body with the proper chemicals to perform efficiently.

They don't have quite as an important function today, when most people are well fed, have a roof over their head, and are not in a constant state of alert, like they would have had to be thousands of years ago.

Different people seem to have a drive to feed different emotions regularly, you have some who thrive on drama, some on extreme sports, some on realistic games, some watch movies that elicit various emotions and so on.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
02-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Humans= atoms + energy
Humans also = biological cells + organs (complex cell structures) + all kinds of nifty biological "stuff"
One of those organs is the brain.
Our brains are amazing.

Feelings, fears, sadness, happiness are all reactions to the things we encounter and they are experienced in the brain.
Bio-chemical reactions to perceived and sometimes imagined circumstances.

Our brains remember and produce chemicals in response to certain events.
Example - Adrenaline pumped into our veins during a fight or flight response can help to save our lives.

Feelings are what we experience when our brains produce and react to the bio-chemical reactions induced by our senses.
(or something close to that)

I'm not a brainologist Big Grin

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
02-08-2013, 08:19 PM

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
03-08-2013, 01:31 AM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2013 01:53 AM by fstratzero.)
(02-08-2013 04:45 PM)talvon Wrote:  Hi, I am an atheist from Turkey and i have a question that i couldn't answer. Atheists believe in materialism which says we are biological machines. I am content with the atheist explanation of the creation of our DNA and other organs. However, i do not understand how we can have feelings such as love,fear,sadness and happiness. Are there any scientific formulas for these feelings ? Basically i want an answer for this simple question from atheists : HUMAN = ATOMS + ?

I'll let Sagan do this part.

"Those are some of the things that molecules do given four billions years of evolution We are, each of us, a multitude." - Carl Sagan

"The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. Information distilled over 4 billion years of biological evolution. Incidentally, all the organisms on the Earth are made essentially of that stuff. An eyedropper full of that liquid could be used to make a caterpillar or a petunia if only we knew how to put the components together." - Carl Sagan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOLAGYmUQV0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGK84Poeynk

In four billion years of evolution emotions are something atoms can do when they arranged in such a way brain chemistry is possible.

I found this they might have that page in your language.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurotransmitter

This is here if you are not sure about neurons
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuron

Also this....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affective_neuroscience

[Image: 757px-Serotonin-Spartan-HF-based-on-xtal...ls-web.png]

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
03-08-2013, 02:44 AM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2013 04:06 AM by DLJ.)
As Rahn points out:
Human = atoms + energy

But...
man = atoms only
woman = atoms + energy + feelings.

Easy reading....
http://www.youramazingbrain.org/lovesex/sciencelove.htm

Smile

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
03-08-2013, 04:48 AM
(02-08-2013 04:45 PM)talvon Wrote:  Hi, I am an atheist from Turkey and i have a question that i couldn't answer. Atheists believe in materialism which says we are biological machines. I am content with the atheist explanation of the creation of our DNA and other organs. However, i do not understand how we can have feelings such as love,fear,sadness and happiness. Are there any scientific formulas for these feelings ? Basically i want an answer for this simple question from atheists : HUMAN = ATOMS + ?

Your question only makes sense in the light of body/mind dualism, if you view the mind as a emergent property of the brain the question is malformed. Your mind is the result of your brain functioning, emotions are just a subset of your mind. Humans and other mammals have evolved as social species and our emotions help us navigate in complex social interactions which rely on cooperation, reciprocity and so on. The brain is just an organ like for example kidneys, we would never think that the blood cleansing ability was something other than the natural function of this organ.

The idea of having a soul is a typical result of body/mind dualism and it is inherently a religious idea.
03-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Let me ask you this,

Where does your sense of hunger come from?
Where does your sense of balance come from?

Do you believe magic is a reason? Or do you believe they are biological in nature, and evolutionary in cause? Think about this, and you'll better understand your question about "where do you feelings and emotions come from". As well as other similar questions.
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
03-08-2013, 11:30 PM
Shenanigans...

03-08-2013, 11:59 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2013 02:23 AM by Bucky Ball.)

No. Humans are not "atoms".
The complex molecular, genetic, and cellular structures, and physiological processes that make up brains are composed of atoms, and rely on their basic properties, but atoms by themselves are not complex enough structures for brain activity, (as far as we know).

Edit : "Atheists believe in materialism". Well, not exactly.
If someone says they accept things that have evidence, and dismiss things that have no evidence, it's not correct to say that person "believes" in anything.
Dismissing one category of things does not imply "belief" in anything (else).

Sounds like your exposure to Biology and Chemistry, and Neuro-science is pretty limited.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche