where do feelings come from ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-08-2013, 12:05 AM
RE: where do feelings come from ?
(02-08-2013 04:45 PM)talvon Wrote:  Hi, I am an atheist from Turkey and i have a question that i couldn't answer. Atheists believe in materialism which says we are biological machines. I am content with the atheist explanation of the creation of our DNA and other organs. However, i do not understand how we can have feelings such as love,fear,sadness and happiness. Are there any scientific formulas for these feelings ? Basically i want an answer for this simple question from atheists : HUMAN = ATOMS + ?

Hmmmm... the phrase "atheists believe in materialism" doesn't sound like a phrase from an atheist, any more than a Christian would say "Christians believe in creationism" or a Muslim would say "Muslims believe in conversion through violence". Stereotypes don't come from within a group, because a member of that group would know that there is variation. Did you start with that opening because you thought it would give you credibility?

When you go down to the atomic level, it's difficult to see how they can combine to form anything. But nonetheless, atoms do combine to form molecules which combine to form cells such as neurons, and emotions are a product of neurons in the brain firing in specific patterns. There are examples of people with brain damage in which their emotions are uncontrollable. And it's entirely possible to improve one's emotions with things like anti-depressants which contain chemicals that change one's feelings through physical changes. So yes, there is a "scientific formula" for feelings, so we don't have to rely on feelings being an immaterial substance made from other immaterial substances.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
04-08-2013, 03:26 AM
(02-08-2013 04:45 PM)talvon Wrote:  Hi, I am an atheist from Turkey and i have a question that i couldn't answer. Atheists believe in materialism which says we are biological machines.
Atheism is a lack of belief in a god or gods. It does not require materialism. Materialism is in any case a crack voodoo philosophical term that has no meaning in science. As for the last part, yes. Our scientific understanding lends good support for the notion that we are each our own chemical system whose behaviour and perceptions are the result of chemical and physical processes. That scientific understanding is not accepted by all atheists, however.

Quote: I am content with the atheist explanation of the creation of our DNA and other organs. However, i do not understand how we can have feelings such as love,fear,sadness and happiness. Are there any scientific formulas for these feelings ? Basically i want an answer for this simple question from atheists : HUMAN = ATOMS + ?

This question has nothing to do with atheism, but as a scientific matter: Human = a system of data, energy and materials that exchanges data, energy and materials with the external world to sustain itself and reproduce itself. Moreover it is a system whose functions include perception of the external world and self perception. It includes various self-reward and self-punishment functions that assist it in its survival.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
04-08-2013, 09:00 AM
(04-08-2013 12:05 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  Hmmmm... the phrase "atheists believe in materialism" doesn't sound like a phrase from an atheist, any more than a Christian would say "Christians believe in creationism" or a Muslim would say "Muslims believe in conversion through violence". Stereotypes don't come from within a group, because a member of that group would know that there is variation. Did you start with that opening because you thought it would give you credibility?

And that is precisely why I called Shenanigans.

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post