who's just being dogmatic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2016, 06:24 AM
who's just being dogmatic
So I'm new here and this might have been brought up a million times. This thread is inspired by the incredibly long and in my opinion incredibly stupid discussion about whether babies are atheists. That plus the I was blah blah religion and I "came out" as an atheist comments leads me to the conclusion that a lot of people are just jumping around from dogma to dogma. I wonder what percent on here are just going through a phase. Or just want a contrarian position. Want to argue.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2016, 06:43 AM
RE: who's just being dogmatic
Atheist = a person who does not believe in any gods, nor other "supernatural" types of things.

All infants by default fit that definition.

Any religion you pick up along the way is simply regional contamination.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 5 users Like onlinebiker's post
17-05-2016, 06:44 AM
(17-05-2016 06:24 AM)ImFred Wrote:  So I'm new here and this might have been brought up a million times. This thread is inspired by the incredibly long and in my opinion incredibly stupid discussion about whether babies are atheists. That plus the I was blah blah religion and I "came out" as an atheist comments leads me to the conclusion that a lot of people are just jumping around from dogma to dogma. I wonder what percent on here are just going through a phase. Or just want a contrarian position. Want to argue.

As far as the babies, a lot of people want to sharpen their debate teeth. Sometimes the topic is not the point, the debate is. Sometimes it's just about definitions.

As far as the de-conversions - some of them are incredibly painful, it is hard to shake a successful indoctrination. Some people lose their families or jobs over it. Many of us are still in the closet for that reason.

Many of us also don't care about debates and post more in light hearted banter, or had no issues deconverting because the indoctrination never quite took or never happened.

There are young teens and people in their 70s. There are people from every walk of life, race, gender, nationality, you name it and it's probably here.

Don't make the mistake of generalizing and trying to throw all of us into one pot. We really have pretty much nothing in common other than not believing in any gods.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
17-05-2016, 06:45 AM
(17-05-2016 06:24 AM)ImFred Wrote:  So I'm new here and this might have been brought up a million times. This thread is inspired by the incredibly long and in my opinion incredibly stupid discussion about whether babies are atheists. That plus the I was blah blah religion and I "came out" as an atheist comments leads me to the conclusion that a lot of people are just jumping around from dogma to dogma. I wonder what percent on here are just going through a phase. Or just want a contrarian position. Want to argue.

Whereas you're dogma free? People are naturally passionate about what they believe.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
17-05-2016, 06:54 AM

I'm (relatively) new here as well, I technically joined in 2013 but didn't start actually participating until a few months ago.
I'm not sure what kind of a response you're looking for with this. As far as the issue of babies being atheists or not, I'm with biker; if we're explicitly referring to newborns, they don't emerge with opinions on a god/gods, so they're by default atheist.
But that's irrelevant to your point. I can see where you're getting your idea that many of us can seem dogmatic, but I would disagree that that's actually what's going on. Look at the arguments that you pointed out! You'll find those types of discussions in any arena in which people are allowed to think for themselves rather than being required to subscribe to a certain viewpoint. It's not dogmatic at all. I didn't read the entire thread in question, but I don't doubt that many of those who did (whether they posted or not) were able to look at the different viewpoints and use them to inform their own. That's not dogma, that's forming an opinion. Aren't they kind of the opposite in a practical sense?
[+] 3 users Like debna27's post
17-05-2016, 06:59 AM
Words have multiple definitions, I think that's all that is going on at play here. Not some grand wave of movements of mindsets by people.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
17-05-2016, 07:02 AM
(17-05-2016 06:43 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Atheist = a person who does not believe in any gods, nor other "supernatural" types of things.

All infants by default fit that definition.

Any religion you pick up along the way is simply regional contamination.

I don't think starting this argument again from scratch is what the OP had in mind.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
17-05-2016, 07:09 AM
I remember in church being told I was born into sin, and I fought that idea from the age of about 12 when my sister was born with Down's Syndrome. I remembered the Bible talking about visiting the sins of the fathers upon the children and wondered what sins our dad had committed that this would be visited upon our sister. She should have been born totally innocent and yet here was this total life philosophy claiming she was being punished for her father's sins! I for one cannot find that the act of a loving dog (God) however you wanna spell it!
17-05-2016, 07:26 AM
you caught me. im an atheist because its trendy.
[+] 5 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
17-05-2016, 07:46 AM
I'm an atheist because I like to argue and be a fucking beatch.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post