why are you alive? response

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2010, 01:42 PM

Question why are you alive? response
I'm an atheist in possibly one of the most christian cities in the us (aka jerry falwell's hometown), and one of the most common taunts I get from the more conservative of kids at my school is "why are you live? I live for Jesus, what do you live for? why don't you just kill yourself?". Rather than explaining to them how moronic the whole concept of it is, to have the need to satisfy such a question in order to be alive, what would be a quick, satisfactory reply that would get them to shut up?
Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2010, 01:50 PM
RE: why are you alive? response
You're alive because you enjoy living. That's all there is to say.

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2010, 01:55 PM
(14-05-2010 01:42 PM)FelixMC Wrote:  I'm an atheist in possibly one of the most christian cities in the us (aka jerry falwell's hometown), and one of the most common taunts I get from the more conservative of kids at my school is "why are you live? I live for Jesus, what do you live for? why don't you just kill yourself?". Rather than explaining to them how moronic the whole concept of it is, to have the need to satisfy such a question in order to be alive, what would be a quick, satisfactory reply that would get them to shut up?

My response would be "Why would I?"

Also, welcome to TTAF!

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
14-05-2010, 03:42 PM

I don't know Felix, what 'do' you live for? That is a very personal question, and likely only one you can answer yourself. Of course, that is assuming that you are not asking it in a biological sense; as you and I both obviously live due to consumed energy, continued metabolic processes, and a plethora of other factors.

...that's just creepy sounding. It makes it sound like they're necrophiliac literal slaves or something. The entirety of your existence is purely to satisfy a fictional zombie?
14-05-2010, 06:38 PM

I would say I consider their lives rather empty and meaningless if they life for someone who's whole existence is highly debatable and most probably a lie.
14-05-2010, 06:49 PM

My guess is that there was a character like Jesus around that time period; it just played out that that particular prophet mimicked all of the other stories at the time. You know the drill, three stars, born to a virgin mother, etc. It'd be like Horus' story that occurred earlier; undoubtedly the story was based around an actual person.

Obviously the story itself is a pile of rubbish, but those in question were likely to exist themselves. Like a play; the characters aren't 'real' but the people playing them certainly are.
14-05-2010, 07:56 PM

IMHO "I live for Jesus" is a statement that makes no sense, but yet these folks believe it as deeply as can be. So therefore there is no adequate comeback. It's similar to the question how do you stop a terrorist who is prepared to die, you don't. You avoid them. Sorry.
14-05-2010, 09:33 PM
If you live for Jesus, why aren't you in Africa shoving bibles down a starving child's throat? Or something along those lines, doesn't have to be so rude. Atheists live out their lives a lot like most Christians. We watch TV, use the computer, go to school, learn, get jobs, hopefully doing what we love, date, marry, have children, and grow old. Typically, people don't live for their religion, they live to do what they love, regardless of their religion.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
15-05-2010, 09:05 AM

What she said; and even more so.
21-05-2010, 01:12 AM

There have been more forums like this but this is what i loved.
Regards