why did Apostle Mohammed waged war against other religions?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2015, 01:48 AM
RE: why did Apostle Mohammed waged war against other religions?
It's funny, to me, how Christians criticize the Muslim expansion through war, as if the conquest of the Americas was different in any way.

If you follow the party line long enough, religion will lead to deaths.

Illegitimi non carborundum
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
02-05-2015, 08:01 AM
I think there are some differences between Christianity and Islam, but the outcomes tend to be the same. With Christians, the kings wielded more power and in particular with Spain and the new world used religion as a weak excuse to expand Spain's power. Aside from the Ottoman Empire, I believe the Imams held much more power that their secular counterparts, so conquest was because of religion.
02-05-2015, 08:20 AM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2015 09:49 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(02-05-2015 08:01 AM)Plan 9 from OS Wrote:  I think there are some differences between Christianity and Islam, but the outcomes tend to be the same. With Christians, the kings wielded more power and in particular with Spain and the new world used religion as a weak excuse to expand Spain's power. Aside from the Ottoman Empire, I believe the Imams held much more power that their secular counterparts, so conquest was because of religion.

During medieval Europe and the divine-right-of-kings, every royal edict was in a sense a divine one. The Pope might have contested by getting into a sacred dick-waiving contest with the hereditary monarchs, but in essence almost every royal claimed to be backed by their Almighty.

[Image: qce9oP7.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
02-05-2015, 08:25 PM
(02-05-2015 08:20 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(02-05-2015 08:01 AM)Plan 9 from OS Wrote:  I think there are some differences between Christianity and Islam, but the outcomes tend to be the same. With Christians, the kings wielded more power and in particular with Spain and the new world used religion as a weak excuse to expand Spain's power. Aside from the Ottoman Empire, I believe the Imams held much more power that their secular counterparts, so conquest was because of religion.

During medieval Europe and the divine-right-of-kings, every royal edict was in a sense a divine one. The Pope might have contested by getting into a sacred dick-waiving contest with the hereditary monarchs, but in essence almost every royal claimed to be backed by their Almighty.

No doubt. I believe the Pope held a lot more sway from the dark ages thru the crusades, and that the monarchs "evolved" over time and simply took more and more temporal power and the pope was pushed more to the margins. Seems like by the time the renaissance began the pope basically rubber stamped what the monarchs wanted in temporal matters in exchange for him giving the monarchs the spiritual cover to do what they wanted in their own realms. Henry the VIII blew the lid off the charade when the pope took a stand and refused to grant another divorce. He decided that he was going to be in charge of both church and state.
05-05-2015, 08:48 AM
(02-05-2015 08:20 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

Not to mention that the Iberian exploration and conquest of the Americas was not only enjoined by the Pope, he also mediated the dispute between Portugal and Spain over New World holdings.

05-05-2015, 12:27 PM
(05-05-2015 08:48 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(02-05-2015 08:20 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  During medieval Europe and the divine-right-of-kings, every royal edict was in a sense a divine one. The Pope might have contested by getting into a sacred dick-waiving contest with the hereditary monarchs, but in essence almost every royal claimed to be backed by their Almighty.

Not to mention that the Iberian exploration and conquest of the Americas was not only enjoined by the Pope, he also mediated the dispute between Portugal and Spain over New World holdings.

Which is the root cause of why Brazil is both the largest Portuguese speaking nation (not Portugal itself), and the only one in South America.

[Image: qce9oP7.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
05-05-2015, 06:41 PM
'Mazactly.

05-05-2015, 07:02 PM
Popcorn

/thread

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.