why dies this tick me off so... "parenting"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2016, 03:52 AM
RE: why dies this tick me off so... "parenting"
(20-02-2016 01:16 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  I think most parents are quick to discover that their child is an individual.

Amen brother Angel

As the (INCREDIBLY PROUD) parent of 3 teens (18, 17, 14) I can vouch for this. All a parent can hope for is that they have given their children the tools to deal with life.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Blessed_Cheesemaker's post
16-05-2016, 11:21 AM
I want to raise my kid(s) to be able to think for themselves. My wife wants him/her/them to be Christians. I have agreed to take my kids to church. I have also told my wife that when asked if I believe, I intend to be honest without mocking my wife's beliefs.
[+] 3 users Like Birdguy1979's post
16-05-2016, 01:34 PM
(16-05-2016 11:21 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I want to raise my kid(s) to be able to think for themselves. My wife wants him/her/them to be Christians. I have agreed to take my kids to church. I have also told my wife that when asked if I believe, I intend to be honest without mocking my wife's beliefs.

I made this arrangement with my son's mother before he was born (she was a Catholic at the time). He's an atheist, of his own making, and she's moved on to an atheist form of Buddhism.

Reasoning -- it works!

As I said above, don't teach children what to think, teach them how to think. And respect their conclusions insofar as is possible.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
16-05-2016, 01:57 PM
(19-02-2016 10:22 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  I'll be the first to admit it.. I have never been a parent. I have never had a kid.... never wanted a kid and will never want one because I am highly irresponsible and thus don't need a tiny helpless being dependent on me..... but there's this one thing parents do to their kids that drives one to anger every time it comes up and I don't even now why. It's such an innocent passive thing too but every one of them do it.

If you can make this following statement your part of the problem.... "I am going to raise my child as... {add personality type here}... that statement just brings out the rage in me. again I have no clue why. I here this and think... so you just want a in you running around. what so your kid cant have likes and dislike sf there own. three days ago I about flipped in my own mind when the parent said. I am gong to raise my little girl as a "Tomboy".. I stayed quiet of coerce but silently I was frustrated. I was like your not going to let them be happy with who hey are and grow as a person.... your just making a min girl version of yourself or ideal girl.... please help me understand why I hate that phrase altogether. I still think i am right but just the rage that drives me insane when i hear it.

Do you think it has to do with more than what you're letting on? Like do you see your parents as the sort who were pushing you to be someone you didn't want to be, engaging in the very parenting thing you despised? And that this was a cause of considerable amount of conflicts for you?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
17-05-2016, 01:00 PM
I think most people who are planning to become parents or are in the progress off this, they just want to make sure that the kid has a great future. And what easier way to express this than to say something like "I will make my child a critical thinker" or "I will make my child self confident" etc.
I agree though, that "I will make my girl a tomboy" is rather cringy. Why would you want to press your child into a form like that...

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post