why do i like music?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2017, 02:24 AM
why do i like music?
i'm a true believer in panspermia, which may or may not be popular on this forum. not sure really where the rules lie with atheism when it comes to that. that said, i like music, and other things 'worldly'. i am curious to understand how other atheists feel about things that they are attracted to, and how it differs from, say, a meteor cruising through space, or a comet that appears to be content circling a star. can this be easily explained through science?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2017, 07:48 AM
RE: why do i like music?
I'm unclear how you make the connection between panspermia (an interesting hypothesis), the orbital mechanics of solid bodies in space (easily explained with science and observation) and the types of music you like (ie: how music triggers certain neuroelectrical and neurochemical signals in your brain, also easily explained by science), but regardless...

Welcome.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
18-02-2017, 08:06 AM
(18-02-2017 02:24 AM)panspermian Wrote:  rules
Laugh out load
Atheism is what you make of it. Don't worry about being a "proper" atheist. Ain't no such thing.

(18-02-2017 02:24 AM)panspermian Wrote:  'worldly'
[Image: 9f2fca051c8d83aeb06abc7274e99618.jpg]

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
18-02-2017, 08:26 AM
(18-02-2017 02:24 AM)panspermian Wrote:  i'm a true believer in panspermia, which may or may not be popular on this forum.

What makes you believe in panspermia? Do you have any evidence for it?

Quote:not sure really where the rules lie with atheism when it comes to that.

The only "rule" for atheism is that you don't accept claims of a god existing. Other than that you are free to believe any idea you come across.

Quote: that said, i like music, and other things 'worldly'.

I do not know what you mean by "worldly".

Quote:i am curious to understand how other atheists feel about things that they are attracted to, and how it differs from, say, a meteor cruising through space, or a comet that appears to be content circling a star. can this be easily explained through science?

I do not understand that question at all as I don't know what connection you are making between "things you are attracted to" and things that just happen to exist. I also don't understand how a comet can be content to do anything.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
18-02-2017, 08:41 AM (This post was last modified: 18-02-2017 09:01 AM by jennybee.)
Like others have mentioned, I don't understand the panspermia connection. As for why you like music-it could be any number (or combination) of things. It could be that your parents listened to a lot of music growing up and it imprinted on you. As such, you associate music with happiness, family, comfort, security and so on. Or maybe you just like the beat or sound of the singer's voice. Maybe the music or lyrics speak to a particular emotion you are feeling, or maybe it's just a particular group that you think is cool. The brain then releases endorphins and dopamine in response to music. Endorphins and dopamine trigger a positive, pleasurable feeling. That's why you like music.

Meteors don't have brains and therefore are not releasing endorphins and dopamine in response to stimulus.
18-02-2017, 08:47 AM
Why we evolved to like music

Is music an evolutionary adaptation

Does music provide any evolutionary advantage

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
18-02-2017, 08:53 AM
(18-02-2017 08:47 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Why we evolved to like music

Is music an evolutionary adaptation

Does music provide any evolutionary advantage

Also as an evolutionary advantage. Interesting!
23-02-2017, 09:59 PM
Music provides an occupation for musicians, so they don't end up standing around on street corners selling drugs.

They go there to buy them instead. Wink

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 4 users Like Dr H's post
23-02-2017, 11:43 PM
From a similar thread I started years ago.

(26-03-2013 06:33 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  An interesting read...

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/...ove-us-so/

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
02-03-2017, 06:49 PM
(23-02-2017 11:43 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  From a similar thread I started years ago.

(26-03-2013 06:33 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  An interesting read...

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/...ove-us-so/

The "why" of why we like music is of little concern to me.

Music is (to me) the great unifier. Music transcends cultural bounds and whatever differences that we have is put aside if only for a few moments. Hell... I still think Amazing Grace is a beautiful song even though I'm an Atheist. I can appreciate the music though I don't have to believe it's meaning.

Music has the ability to "time travel" in a sense. What I mean by this is you hear a song that you haven't heard in years and it vividly takes you back to a certain place in time. Maybe a song that was playing when you met your first love etc...

I learned how to play the guitar when I was 13. I've played now for 34 years. When I was recovering from alcoholism 5 years ago, picking up my guitar and just losing myself in the music was great therapy to me.

These are just a few reasons that "I" like music and consider it one of the more important things in life.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 2 users Like RearViewMirror's post