why do i like music?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2017, 08:03 PM
RE: why do i like music?
(02-03-2017 06:49 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  
(23-02-2017 11:43 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  From a similar thread I started years ago.

The "why" of why we like music is of little concern to me.

Music is (to me) the great unifier. Music transcends cultural bounds and whatever differences that we have is put aside if only for a few moments. Hell... I still think Amazing Grace is a beautiful song even though I'm an Atheist. I can appreciate the music though I don't have to believe it's meaning.

Music has the ability to "time travel" in a sense. What I mean by this is you hear a song that you haven't heard in years and it vividly takes you back to a certain place in time. Maybe a song that was playing when you met your first love etc...

I learned how to play the guitar when I was 13. I've played now for 34 years. When I was recovering from alcoholism 5 years ago, picking up my guitar and just losing myself in the music was great therapy to me.

These are just a few reasons that "I" like music and consider it one of the more important things in life.

I agree wholeheartedly. I'm a picker and a grinner myself, music is probably the one thing that I enjoy most in life.

I'm not particularly concerned about the why so much either, but I tend to post threads while under the influence and in a...pondering mood, the OP reminded me of that one. It is an interesting thing to think about.

Why is it such great therapy for you? Why do we hold so much importance for it in our lives?

I find it interesting to find out just what it is about music (or rather...us) that makes it such an ingrained part of our evolutionary past and present. The why isn't necessary, just interesting. Don't you think?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
02-03-2017, 09:15 PM
(02-03-2017 08:03 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  The why isn't necessary, just interesting. Don't you think?

Yes I definitely agree. And now that I think about it... if I'm honest I've never given it much thought in the past. I suppose that maybe I should give it more thought than I have since it is such an important part of human nature. I'm not sure that will ever be completely answered but it will be interesting nonetheless.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 1 user Likes RearViewMirror's post
11-03-2017, 11:41 PM
(18-02-2017 02:24 AM)panspermian Wrote:  i'm a true believer in panspermia, which may or may not be popular on this forum. not sure really where the rules lie with atheism when it comes to that. that said, i like music, and other things 'worldly'. i am curious to understand how other atheists feel about things that they are attracted to, and how it differs from, say, a meteor cruising through space, or a comet that appears to be content circling a star. can this be easily explained through science?

Music is life. I need no more reason than this.

This world is a beautiful place (subjective yes, but there's nothing wrong with that). With nothing more beautiful than humans freely choosing to show each other love, kindness, empathy without coercion and threats (In my humble opinion).

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
12-03-2017, 12:01 AM
(11-03-2017 11:41 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Music is life. I need no more reason than this.

This world is a beautiful place (subjective yes, but there's nothing wrong with that). With nothing more beautiful than humans freely choosing to show each other love, kindness, empathy without coercion and threats (In my humble opinion).

Music can be the soundtrack of our lives.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.