why do they think they own morality?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
22-02-2017, 09:42 PM
why do they think they own morality?
ok so I'm pretty fed up with christians (ESPECIALLY catholics) thinking they get to define what's moral and what isn't
last semester in my ethics class there was heavy emphasis on the christian view's objections to abortion, euthanasia, and PAS
my first thought is 'who cares?'
there's so much talk about the pope and what he believes is right and it seems like christians think their views are the absolute moral standard
there's constant reinforcement of the objectability of things from the christian viewpoint
honestly i don't think moral decisions should come from what christianity deems as ok
centuries ago the church was ok with the killing of people suspected of practicing witchcraft or of being possessed by demons. the salem witch trials resulted from religion
the church is ok with its message being viciously spread everywhere and enforced on people.the crusades were fueled by the church and caused great casualty.
today the church still thinks it's the authority over what's right and wrong but given its track record, i don't trust it
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like seagull's post
22-02-2017, 11:22 PM
RE: why do they think they own morality?
It's bollocks. It's entirely circular and arbitrary.

Morality is all about the reasons behind the conclusions. If the only reason is "Some twat in a stupid hat says so" then I'm not interested.

"It will hurt the feelings of an invisible sky fairy" isn't much cop either.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Robvalue's post
22-02-2017, 11:51 PM
That have an excellent track record for one. Dodgy

http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/1000years.htm

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
23-02-2017, 12:09 AM
Quote:...I'm pretty fed up with christians (ESPECIALLY catholics) thinking they get to define what's moral and what isn't...

Yea...the Catholics who hide the priests who molest the children should somehow be our moral compass.
Fuck the the pope and his cult of rapists.

[Image: pedo_zpsc1b356c9.gif]
[+] 6 users Like pablo's post
23-02-2017, 12:17 AM
Right...

God allows hideous shit to go on inside his own churches, carried out by his own "men of God".

Fuck that shit. Religion is (usually) about obedience. If an action is "good", then I'll do it anyway, not because some shithead is telling me too. And if it's bad, I won't do it, even if they tell me to. Religious morality only makes a difference when it diverges from acting in the best interest of other people. And at that point, it's poisoning morality. If it never diverges, it's redundant.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
23-02-2017, 12:22 AM
(22-02-2017 09:42 PM)seagull Wrote:  ok so I'm pretty fed up with christians (ESPECIALLY catholics) thinking they get to define what's moral and what isn't
last semester in my ethics class there was heavy emphasis on the christian view's objections to abortion, euthanasia, and PAS
my first thought is 'who cares?'
there's so much talk about the pope and what he believes is right and it seems like christians think their views are the absolute moral standard
there's constant reinforcement of the objectability of things from the christian viewpoint
honestly i don't think moral decisions should come from what christianity deems as ok
centuries ago the church was ok with the killing of people suspected of practicing witchcraft or of being possessed by demons. the salem witch trials resulted from religion
the church is ok with its message being viciously spread everywhere and enforced on people.the crusades were fueled by the church and caused great casualty.
today the church still thinks it's the authority over what's right and wrong but given its track record, i don't trust it

Why is it so surprising that the religious think they own and can decree morality?

It's not like lots and lots of them don't think the same thing about sexuality, government, education, your paycheck, history, logic, your own children, days of the year, days of the week, science, mathematics, laws, society itself, and your dinner (so pray over it, dammit).

What's one more item on the list?
[+] 4 users Like Reltzik's post
23-02-2017, 12:53 AM
Religion is nothing more than dressed up tribalism. To maintain power and obedience, tribal chiefs must make their minions feel superior to all other tribes. Especially, other tribes must be dehumanized and demonized so that cheating, hating, hurting, even killing them becomes something the minions will do it without feeling any normal empathy or guilt.

A religion claiming moral superiority is asserting that all others are not human. From that point, no form of malice is too extreme to inflict upon outsiders, and the mob mentallity is easily triggered in 'defense' of the 'one true faith.'
[+] 3 users Like Dorsie's post
23-02-2017, 01:31 AM
I guess they're taught this, but idea hardly can be more void than christian morality when one remember that members of this cult worship genocidal tyrant.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
23-02-2017, 01:48 AM
I think this video best sums up my feelings about how fucked up Christianity is. Rotten to the core.

[+] 4 users Like Robvalue's post
23-02-2017, 07:41 AM
Keep walking? How fast can you run?

That would be funny if it weren’t so twisted...just like Xtinanity.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce