why do they think they own morality?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
25-02-2017, 02:00 PM
RE: why do they think they own morality?
Most theists need to feel morally superior, there has to be a huge upside to being religious and if it doesn't make you a better person or at least happier than what's the point? Many theists have told me that finding religion helped them be a better person, well they may need that but I don't and really most people don't...even religious people rarely adhere to their holy book teachings.

We get our morality from our culture (thankfully most Western cultures are pretty secular) and from evolutionary instinct. Have you ever seen a horror movie and averted your eyes when someone got killed? Well humans don't usually like seeing other humans or living things in pain, suffering, dying or even crying for that matter, it's ingrained into us. Also when we do something bad, we feel bad and when we do something good, we feel good.

Of course all of this is very basic but that's how you have to start when discussing these complex issues with higher than thou theists who think they are morally superior. Even kids can understand this shit but most should move past the "If I do this bad thing, I will be punished" stage but for many theists the threat of Hell or pissing off God is their reason for being a good person but they would be a good person regardless. Once they understand that then you can talk about morality in a more open way.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like SitaSky's post
25-02-2017, 03:07 PM
RE: why do they think they own morality?
Yeah... a lot of it is ignorance. Some people don't understand why people aren't running around killing and maiming, so they think it must be magic. Because otherwise people wouldn't care about each other. But like you say, we evolved to care.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post