why does the woo always come up?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2015, 07:31 PM
so ai have a really cool, laid back neighbor. This past year we have become good friends, help each other with childcare and just basically good friends. But, ugh, the woo is strong with her. Facepalm

Thankfully she isnt religious (kind of hard to find in SC) but those damn essential oils marketed as medicine drives me crazy and her many references to her 'chinese medicine doctor' who I don't know if they hold an actual MD or not.

Today my 9 year old got aanother migraine, she has them off/on since she was 3-4 years old. Usually her trigger is heat and dehydration, and we have figured out a routine for treatment ( hydrate, ibuprofen, zofran, ice packs, darkness, cold and silence.).

My friend suggested this
[Image: image.jpg1_zpsnqzk2hrt.jpg]

she means well but sheesh.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
11-05-2015, 07:47 PM
RE: why does the woo always come up?
I see one of them is Frankincense, is one of the other ones Myrrh? Consider
If she ever offers gold, take it. Thumbsup
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
11-05-2015, 07:49 PM
Ugh. Yesterday my mother told me she has some raisins soaking in English gin and that she has to eat precisely nine each day and her arthritis will go away.

I literally did this ----> Facepalm

But she's a woophile, so this isn't a surprise to me, it just sucks.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-05-2015, 08:08 PM
I had a minister acquaintance who gave me some essential oils for my migraines. Ugh.
11-05-2015, 08:15 PM
My wife got interested in essential oils many years ago when we were in China. We still use them for a number of minor health issues -- headaches, upset stomachs, muscle aches, etc. I'm not sure the oils do any good but what is soothing is when my wife rubs them on my head, shoulders, etc. Human touch will cure almost anything. Smile
[+] 2 users Like Black Eagle's post
11-05-2015, 08:18 PM
(11-05-2015 07:49 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Ugh. Yesterday my mother told me she has some raisins soaking in English gin and that she has to eat precisely nine each day and her arthritis will go away.

I literally did this ----> Facepalm

But she's a woophile, so this isn't a surprise to me, it just sucks.

Raisins in gin - sounds like fun. Big Grin

Re. migraines, have you looked at nitrates in her diet? I have seen recent reports about how nitrates (often found in lunch meats and sausages and such) can trigger migraines in some people. The food industry is already responding by offering an increasing number of nitrate free items.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
11-05-2015, 10:34 PM
massage the temples, back of the neck and relax... CURED. Hmm very interesting and so different from your already described method. As usual, a solution that would fix it without the "essential oils"

I don't know why it comes up, I thought Stevie Wonder solved our issue years ago but it still persists.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
11-05-2015, 11:09 PM
I've got a friend that swears by the essential oil stuff.

That said I did buy some Himalayan salt candle holders that are supposed to remove toxins from the air.

It doesn't work. I live with boys and the air here is always toxic.

But they look real pretty with tea light candles inside.

The holders, not the boys.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 6 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-05-2015, 05:09 AM
(11-05-2015 11:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I've got a friend that swears by the essential oil stuff.

That said I did buy some Himalayan salt candle holders that are supposed to remove toxins from the air.

It doesn't work. I live with boys and the air here is always toxic.

But they look real pretty with tea light candles inside.

The holders, not the boys.

From what I understand, Himalayan salt releases ions during the process of heating up. (Don't know if the claim is true) That is only a short time span, if so. When we were raising exotic birds, we had some type of ionizer that was screwed into a light bulb socket on the ceiling in the aviary. Every morning I would sweep up a heap of bird dander exactly below the ionizer. It somehow caused it to accumulate there and made for cleaner air. This was decades ago, and I have not found any working ionizer online during a recent search, just small consumer units that don't work. I have no idea how and why they work when they do. I have since read that they have adverse effects on the lungs and perhaps they are now a mellowed version that do nothing.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-05-2015, 05:39 AM
Oh essential oils... I have a friend who's super into that, too. She also does reiki healing, reiki distance healing, and is very sure of her past lives... I just smile and nod. Good for her, it makes her happy and if she wants to rub some smelly good things on my wrists when I see her, fine by me. Smells can be calming, so if nothing else, there's that.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post