why does the woo always come up?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2015, 06:29 AM
RE: why does the woo always come up?
high priced placebos......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2015, 06:22 PM
(12-05-2015 05:39 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  Oh essential oils... I have a friend who's super into that, too. She also does reiki healing, reiki distance healing, and is very sure of her past lives... I just smile and nod. Good for her, it makes her happy and if she wants to rub some smelly good things on my wrists when I see her, fine by me. Smells can be calming, so if nothing else, there's that.

I love the smells of essential oils and find them quite relaxing. My wife gets reiki healing from a woman here in town and she loves it. I got it once from her reiki provider when I was in the hospital after abdominal surgery. My doctor recommended it and that surprised me. He said it's becoming common for some surgeons to recommend it because they believe it speeds up recovery time.

It doesn't matter at all what people think of this spooky medicine. I've had massages, massages with essential oils, reiki, acupuncture, Chinese foot massages, and chiropractic. My father and brother are traditional MDs who think this stuff is crazy. Nevertheless, my wife and I started doing this a few decades ago in China and I always feel better after I have one of these "treatments." My favorite is the Chinese foot massages. You get some large Chinaman with biceps that look like a quarter horse's ass muscles who won't give you a break no matter how much you scream Sadcryface2 , and it's a wonderful life altering experience. Big Grin
12-05-2015, 06:31 PM
(12-05-2015 06:22 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  
(12-05-2015 05:39 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  Oh essential oils... I have a friend who's super into that, too. She also does reiki healing, reiki distance healing, and is very sure of her past lives... I just smile and nod. Good for her, it makes her happy and if she wants to rub some smelly good things on my wrists when I see her, fine by me. Smells can be calming, so if nothing else, there's that.

I love the smells of essential oils and find them quite relaxing. My wife gets reiki healing from a woman here in town and she loves it. I got it once from her reiki provider when I was in the hospital after abdominal surgery. My doctor recommended it and that surprised me. He said it's becoming common for some surgeons to recommend it because they believe it speeds up recovery time.

It doesn't matter at all what people think of this spooky medicine. I've had massages, massages with essential oils, reiki, acupuncture, Chinese foot massages, and chiropractic. My father and brother are traditional MDs who think this stuff is crazy. Nevertheless, my wife and I started doing this a few decades ago in China and I always feel better after I have one of these "treatments." My favorite is the Chinese foot massages. You get some large Chinaman with biceps that look like a quarter horse's ass muscles who won't give you a break no matter how much you scream Sadcryface2 , and it's a wonderful life altering experience. Big Grin

I think anything that focuses your mind on your body makes you feel good. I love me a nice spa day. And I like massages with nice smelling oil. I don't think there is anything magical about any of these things though, the important part is that you leave all other thoughts behind and just feel whatever is happening to your body.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-05-2015, 06:55 PM
I have had and still have lots of friends who are into woo. It drives me bats. They're not all into the same things, but there is a lot of overlap.

There was the friend who believed all doctors conspire to deprive us of "natural" remedies for everything and sent her teen-aged daughter to a chiropractor every week because the fraud had told her she'd develop scoliosis without weekly "adjustments." (Pure bunk!) I have friends who swear that "organic" produce has more vitamins. (Simple testing says no.) A friend introduced me to a woman (I'd told him I'm looking for a girlfriend). She seemed nice. 15 minutes into the conversation it turned out she is an "energy healer." I told her that I consider it theft to charge people money for doing nothing, and I lost any chance I might have had with her, though I could not have a relationship with a crook unless she was a lot hotter than this woman was. I've known stupid people who spend all their money on "Chinese herbs" for their supposed health, and it makes me so sad. I knew a homeless guy when I was working at the shelter whose vision was deteriorating, and I listened as he spoke on the phone with a supplements company, trying to order "Chinese herbs for [his] eyes." He didn't know the name of the herb he wanted, so he was asking some phone clerk to prescribe the right herb, and he routinely spent his meager income on this quackery. A recent episode of the SGU mentioned a young boy with asthma who died because his parents took him to China for "traditional" Chinese treatment rather than using the effective medicines available right here at home.

Digression: "Traditional" Chinese medicine was invented by Mao tse Dong and his followers during the Cultural Revolution when the Chinese economy was in collapse and there was not nearly enough medicine to go around. Figuring that a placebo is better than nothing, they gave people herbs. Chinese who have had access to scientific (Western, "allopathic" whatever that means) medicine have always used it. The only Chinese who have ever used "traditional" Chinese medicine have been those with no access to real medicine.

Woo is depressing, dangerous, and kills uncounted people every year. But a society that has already been brainwashed by religion to favor a two-thousand-year-old book over evidence is ripe for exploitation by quacks and charlatans touting the "wisdom" of the ancients, even though when "traditional" or "ancient" medicine was practiced, average lifespans were probably around 40 years, and you were more likely than not to die in your 20's of infections that we cure now without a second thought.

And the saddest part is that most of the people deluded into believing in woo are genuinely kind people.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines