why is it "wrong" to hit a woman?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
05-01-2013, 07:02 PM
why is it "wrong" to hit a woman?
I live in 2013, not 1813. so why is it wrong for people like me (,i.e. men) to hit women?

some say it's unegalitarian. i say bullshit, as equality is not inherent in humans. others say women are special, but this is contrary to the PC movement saying gender roles (and even traits) don't exist.

I think morals are anything one makes them, so it doesn't bother me either way.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2013, 07:18 PM
RE: why is it "wrong" to hit a woman?
(05-01-2013 07:02 PM)namiloveyou Wrote:  I live in 2013, not 1813. so why is it wrong for people like me (,i.e. men) to hit women?

some say it's unegalitarian. i say bullshit, as equality is not inherent in humans. others say women are special, but this is contrary to the PC movement saying gender roles (and even traits) don't exist.

It is a crime to hit anyone.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 9 users Like Chas's post
05-01-2013, 07:22 PM
That's that are "wrong" are just usually less beneficial to society. Hitting someone woman or not, smaller or bigger than you without a factor of any legitimate reason is likely harmful.

You can go around and bump into anyone if you wish; for no reason.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
05-01-2013, 07:25 PM
(05-01-2013 07:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-01-2013 07:02 PM)namiloveyou Wrote:  I live in 2013, not 1813. so why is it wrong for people like me (,i.e. men) to hit women?

It is a crime to hit anyone.
I owe nothing to no one, why is it wrong? Humans are naturally evil, anything that goes, goes. I hate psychiatry because I didn't like my psychiatrist. Drooling

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
05-01-2013, 07:26 PM

It's wrong to hit anyone, period.
It's illegal (and not very nice) to hit anyone.

That's why we have sarcasm.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
(05-01-2013 07:02 PM)namiloveyou Wrote:  I live in 2013, not 1813.
Your powers of observation are amazing. Drinking Beverage
[Image: IgT0H.jpg]

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 5 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
05-01-2013, 07:30 PM
Aside from the criminal implications of assault and battery, I feel ethically unrestrained to physically batter a man for the right cause, such as self defense or defense of others, maybe even defense of property such as slugging a guy who is trying to steal a purse or vandalize a car. I might even punch a guy for really bad behavior, such as verbal abuse of another person, especially if he's doggedly unwilling to knock it off through reasonable attempts to talk him down. None of that would bother me, ethically.

All of that would bother me, ethically speaking, to do it to a woman, other than maybe the self-defense or defense of others thing - I could aggressively batter a woman who is injuring people, or in order to prevent such injury if no other solution seemed evident. The rest seems wrong.

Why?

I blame evolution.

My gender evolved as hunters, warriors, defenders. The female gender evolved as caregivers, nurturers, and child-rearers. They're not, generally, as physically strong as men. They're occasionally with child and often raising children, a necessary part of continuing the species. For all these reasons, they need to be protected, not assaulted.

Hence, biology programmed me to protect them rather than assault them, and ethically speaking, I find it difficult (conceptually) to override that except in extremes of defense where the woman has made herself into a threat and I'm protecting myself, my family, or my tribe from that threat.

I also find it ethically difficult to assault a man who is significantly smaller than me. That just seems unfair. It's why we have weight classes in all forms of sport fighting, boxing, MMA, wrestling, etc. So the "keep it fair" part of my brain says to dominate the little guy, rather than injure him.

Since women are also, generally, smaller than men, I think that second consideration is in there too, but it's dwarfed by the first one.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
05-01-2013, 07:30 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2013 09:03 PM by Logisch.)
(Edited my post in context with the trollolololiffic thread topic)

[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
05-01-2013, 07:31 PM
It is wrong to hit a woman (or another man) because hitting results in pain which is a negative experience for the conscious mind.

You could also ask, why is it wrong to go around cutting off peoples ears?
As if any of these questions don't have obvious answers, I often wonder why they are asked at all...

Edit: I don't agree with the posts that use the law as a reason. If the only reason we don't do something is the law, then that's not much better than a christian saying we would all kill eachother without god. This resembles psychopothy, and worries me greatly.

We have evolved with this understanding, it is beneficial to our species as a whole.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

[+] 2 users Like Adenosis's post