why is male suicide going up?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2016, 07:15 AM
RE: why is male suicide going up?
(24-04-2016 04:57 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I usually go out of my way to not be a dick, even when it is deserved, but I can empathize with a dick, and I certainly can empathize with Gilgamesh in this thread. If you accuse white males (specifically) of being mass murderers because they are too big of losers to get their dick wet, then yes you are going to piss people off, especially when you refuse to provide evidence.

You're talking things personally. She didn't say all white males kill themselves or others because they have no sex partners.

She said that the people who have been shooting up schools and such and then killing themselves were primarily isolated young white males.

Everyone who watches the news knows that it's not little old ladies but young men shooting up schools.

That is a correct statement, and asking for non-existing scientific documentation of current events is being a dick. There is no scientific documentation, nobody has studied this. Well, they probably study it in Quantico, but we don't get to see those documents.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
24-04-2016, 07:23 AM
Tomasia keeps posting.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
24-04-2016, 08:28 AM
(24-04-2016 07:15 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 04:57 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I usually go out of my way to not be a dick, even when it is deserved, but I can empathize with a dick, and I certainly can empathize with Gilgamesh in this thread. If you accuse white males (specifically) of being mass murderers because they are too big of losers to get their dick wet, then yes you are going to piss people off, especially when you refuse to provide evidence.

You're talking things personally. She didn't say all white males kill themselves or others because they have no sex partners.

She said that the people who have been shooting up schools and such and then killing themselves were primarily isolated young white males.

Everyone who watches the news knows that it's not little old ladies but young men shooting up schools.

That is a correct statement, and asking for non-existing scientific documentation of current events is being a dick. There is no scientific documentation, nobody has studied this. Well, they probably study it in Quantico, but we don't get to see those documents.

Just because I describe the accusation with brutally honest language doesn't mean I'm taking it personally at all. Let's see if the data bears it out though.

And to say there are no studies for all these murders, suicides, and murder suicides is patently false - and it's not limited to Quantico either. If I were to say that blacks and women were less intelligent than white men, that that would be an incendiary statement requiring strong, compelling evidence. Even with compelling evidence it would still be denied by many because people would "take is personally".

24-04-2016, 08:57 AM
(24-04-2016 08:28 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 07:15 AM)Dom Wrote:  You're talking things personally. She didn't say all white males kill themselves or others because they have no sex partners.

Just because I describe the accusation with brutally honest language doesn't mean I'm taking it personally at all. Let's see if the data bears it out though.

And to say there are no studies for all these murders, suicides, and murder suicides is patently false - and it's not limited to Quantico either. If I were to say that blacks and women were less intelligent than white men, that that would be an incendiary statement requiring strong, compelling evidence. Even with compelling evidence it would still be denied by many because people would "take is personally".

It's just getting annoying to have normal conversations here. Nobody really thinks that it is not primarily young white males who shoot up schools. It's common knowledge.

One doesn't have to provide scientific proof for every POV. Heatheness pointed out repeatedly that it was her point of view.

People who don't share the view can say so. I don't see the issue. I see no cause for looking up all kinds of useless data to substantiate this POV.

If you disagree, just say so and explain why. This whole conversation has never actually questioned whether it is primarily young white males who shoot up schools - because we all know it is. It's just an attack at the poster by someone who yells for proof. That is getting old. There is a time for that, and there are times when someone is just being a dick.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
24-04-2016, 10:38 AM
(24-04-2016 12:54 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  Third link specifies mass shootings. Nothing to do with suicide. Though it does specify that white males, who are 72% of the population, commit 64% of mass shootings, WHILE black people, who are 13% of the population, commit 16% of mass shootings. Oops. Black people are unproportionately committing mass shootings, then. But muh narrative.

I know you said it was going to be your last post about this issue, but I thought that it would be nice to reply to this particular objection because you are forgetting an important detail in this analysis. While it’s true that black men are slightly over represented in mass shooting (barely 3%), they are far less overrepresented than in regular murders where black people represent over 50% of the perpetrator. This is a massive difference both in term of proportion and raw numbers. Black communities are overrepresented in murder stats due to high criminality, social isolation, poverty, substance abuse and illiteracy. All those factor are also increasing the risk of depression and untreated mental illness, which are at the center of pretty much all mass shooting, yet has very little impact on their stats for mass shooting. It seems odd to me that, between the two groups, white men are much less likely to develop anti-social behavior and untreated mental illness and yet are the group who commits the most mass shooting while it should technically be the opposite, just like for regular murder. I would be tempted to explain this «overrepresentation» of white men due to terrorism and indeed, some sub-cultural influence. Criminality is an avenue for young anti-social black men, but not that much for young anti-social white men. Crime offers a very violent and damaging outlet for those people, but they don't explode in a self-destructive way like mass shooter do. Those without this outlet are left to simmer in their own poorly managed anger. Note that giving them accesss to an outlet like crime isn't exactly a good idea either (probably even worse all things considered).

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 2 users Like epronovost's post
24-04-2016, 11:38 AM
Recent figures (9 March 2016) released by the Bureau of Statistics reveal that Australia is facing a growing national emergency with the suicide rate rising to 12 per 100,000 people in 2014—the highest since 2001 when figures soared to 12.6 per 100,000. It's believed a rise in suicide among middle-aged Australians and young women is responsible for the increase on a national spectrum.

The suicide rate among women aged between 15 and 24 climbed by 50% compared to only 2% in men over the same period (2001-2010). These numbers compare favourably(?) with the US suicide rate of 12.1 per 1,000 people in 2012, with South Korea's suicide rate (for example) at 28.9 per 100,000 people in 2012 being one of the world's highest.

Heart disease remains the number one cause of death in Australia and accounted for one in seven male deaths and one in eight female deaths in 2014.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
24-04-2016, 05:05 PM
(24-04-2016 08:57 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 08:28 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Just because I describe the accusation with brutally honest language doesn't mean I'm taking it personally at all. Let's see if the data bears it out though.

It's just getting annoying to have normal conversations here. Nobody really thinks that it is not primarily young white males who shoot up schools. It's common knowledge.

One doesn't have to provide scientific proof for every POV. Heatheness pointed out repeatedly that it was her point of view.

People who don't share the view can say so. I don't see the issue. I see no cause for looking up all kinds of useless data to substantiate this POV.

If you disagree, just say so and explain why. This whole conversation has never actually questioned whether it is primarily young white males who shoot up schools - because we all know it is. It's just an attack at the poster by someone who yells for proof. That is getting old. There is a time for that, and there are times when someone is just being a dick.

I'm not even questioning that it is primarily white males who commit mass shootings, what I need evidence for is her stated reasons. Simply stating it is so is not gonna cut it with me. I'm sorry if you are annoyed with that, but I don't accept baseless provocative statements without reason or evidence.

24-04-2016, 05:40 PM
(24-04-2016 05:05 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 08:57 AM)Dom Wrote:  It's just getting annoying to have normal conversations here. Nobody really thinks that it is not primarily young white males who shoot up schools. It's common knowledge.

I'm not even questioning that it is primarily white males who commit mass shootings, what I need evidence for is her stated reasons. Simply stating it is so is not gonna cut it with me. I'm sorry if you are annoyed with that, but I don't accept baseless provocative statements without reason or evidence.

I don't have a horse in this race, I just started getting annoyed with people asking for documentation when someone states an OPINION. What do you want as proof that something is my opinion, a brain print out?

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
24-04-2016, 06:24 PM
(24-04-2016 05:09 AM)yakherder Wrote:  The key to reducing male suicide is to make sure something else kills us before we have a chance to do it ourselves. Drinking Beverage

You are the gift that keeps on giving Tongue

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
24-04-2016, 08:43 PM
(24-04-2016 05:40 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 05:05 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I'm not even questioning that it is primarily white males who commit mass shootings, what I need evidence for is her stated reasons. Simply stating it is so is not gonna cut it with me. I'm sorry if you are annoyed with that, but I don't accept baseless provocative statements without reason or evidence.

I don't have a horse in this race, I just started getting annoyed with people asking for documentation when someone states an OPINION. What do you want as proof that something is my opinion, a brain print out?

No, I'd be happy with reason. I didn't see anything that indicated that her statements was nothing more than an opinion, but if she is willing to say that it is her baseless opinion, with no reason, so be it. The skeptics mantra should be "Question Everything". If someone is going to spew something out like that, I'm gonna call them on it. If she has good reason to hold that opinion, I'm all ears. Maybe she'll convince me too. If it is true we should be looking into finding a solution for that as well, but I do not think she is even remotely close to the truth.