why is male suicide going up?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2016, 07:54 PM
RE: why is male suicide going up?
(22-04-2016 07:41 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(22-04-2016 07:27 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  The older you are, the more likely you are to be betrayed by your body and mind, and the more likely you are to commit suicide because you quality of life diminishes.

That's right. The quality of life diminishes AND it will never improve again.

That's the big difference between young and old in this context - for the young, the issues leading to suicidal thought are mostly temporary, there is lots of time and space for improvement or recovery.

For the old, the issues are permanent and they will get only worse, plus new issues are added constantly.

Personally, I fail to see the value in a life that has little or no quality, with no improvement possible. But that is just me, everyone will have their own threshold. And that threshold will vary as one goes through life...

No argument here - but even temporary pain can be too much to endure for many.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2016, 07:59 PM
(22-04-2016 07:29 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(22-04-2016 06:34 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Women? Tongue

Could be.

I was actually thinking, "Why is male suicide rising?.... the same reason male mass killings are rising." I say a some of it is because some men can't get laid because more women are either not interested in men or not interested in lame men and that turns into misogyny. That's also what they say causes rape a lot too.

Double edge sword, "You won't fuck me because I'm lame, so I'll hate you for it and then either kill you or rape you. Funny how that works. Now more suicides on the rise. At least they're killing themselves and not others.

I wonder how many of those same men spend their time enjoying their hating on women rather than learning to be more likable people?

This also applies to women, except for the killing bit. Women are less likely to kill others for revenge and more likely to just do themselves. Wonder what the stats are on that?

Anywho... Blink I don't think that what you say is totally right, nor totally wrong.

"A problem concerning predominantly males!?! Hmm, how can I turn this into womens issue? Oh! I got it! I'll project my own sexual frustrations onto them! You see all those men are committing suicide because they're lame-o's who can't get laid and so resent the opposite sex and are miserable! Also they murder and rape lolz. Misogyny is a big problem, you know!"
[+] 1 user Likes Gilgamesh's post
22-04-2016, 08:05 PM
(22-04-2016 07:54 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(22-04-2016 07:41 PM)Dom Wrote:  That's right. The quality of life diminishes AND it will never improve again.

That's the big difference between young and old in this context - for the young, the issues leading to suicidal thought are mostly temporary, there is lots of time and space for improvement or recovery.

For the old, the issues are permanent and they will get only worse, plus new issues are added constantly.

Personally, I fail to see the value in a life that has little or no quality, with no improvement possible. But that is just me, everyone will have their own threshold. And that threshold will vary as one goes through life...

No argument here - but even temporary pain can be too much to endure for many.

Probably I am still alive because I subscribe to "no permanent solutions for temporary issues". But, yes, everyone's threshold is different, and varies from time to time. We're on the same page.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
22-04-2016, 08:24 PM
(22-04-2016 07:59 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(22-04-2016 07:29 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Could be.

I was actually thinking, "Why is male suicide rising?.... the same reason male mass killings are rising." I say a some of it is because some men can't get laid because more women are either not interested in men or not interested in lame men and that turns into misogyny. That's also what they say causes rape a lot too.

Double edge sword, "You won't fuck me because I'm lame, so I'll hate you for it and then either kill you or rape you. Funny how that works. Now more suicides on the rise. At least they're killing themselves and not others.

I wonder how many of those same men spend their time enjoying their hating on women rather than learning to be more likable people?

This also applies to women, except for the killing bit. Women are less likely to kill others for revenge and more likely to just do themselves. Wonder what the stats are on that?

Anywho... Blink I don't think that what you say is totally right, nor totally wrong.

"A problem concerning predominantly males!?! Hmm, how can I turn this into womens issue? Oh! I got it! I'll project my own sexual frustrations onto them! You see all those men are committing suicide because they're lame-o's who can't get laid and so resent the opposite sex and are miserable! Also they murder and rape lolz. Misogyny is a big problem, you know!"

[Image: 6a00d8341c6d1d53ef0147e0bfbec1970b-300wi]

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 4 users Like Heatheness's post
22-04-2016, 09:15 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say depression is probably a big factor, and high stress.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
22-04-2016, 09:15 PM
I don't blame my sexual frustrations on anyone in particulate, women or otherwise. I mean I'm bitter that I get to spend my life with an overpowering biological imperative that can never be satiated, and that even voluntary castration wouldn't rid me of those shackles (I researched the option), but I recognize that it's not really Eve's doing. It's God and the flawed blueprints he used to construct me. I could have done better.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
22-04-2016, 09:28 PM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2016 09:32 PM by Heatheness.)
(22-04-2016 09:15 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I don't blame my sexual frustrations on anyone in particulate, women or otherwise. I mean I'm bitter that I get to spend my life with an overpowering biological imperative that can never be satiated, and that even voluntary castration wouldn't rid me of those shackles (I researched the option), but I recognize that it's not really Eve's doing. It's God and the flawed blueprints he used to construct me. I could have done better.

Yes but you're not the lame-o (thx gil) douchebag the killer in Cali was who left a women hating/blaming manifesto before he killed those people and then himself. And I haven't even started on the "entitled white bread young man" majority of killer/suicides as well as just suicides. Young white guys are having a hard time dealing with lack of entitlement fulfillment issues.

You otoh do not seem to have that nor are you a social pariah.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
22-04-2016, 09:38 PM
I read an article recently that talked about the rise of deaths in younger males due to alcoholism brought on by high stress and anxiety caused by economic pressures that continue to get worse. It struck me particularly because I'm a young male who recently bought a house and new car and the pressure to be able to provide month to month becomes increasingly worrisome as changes in my workplace don't seem to give me the assurance of stability they did in the first year.

I also find it harder and harder to resist turning to alcohol to numb the anxiety, given my propensity to imbibe is pretty strong in the first place. I consider myself a high functioning alcoholic. But I digress.

I know that correlation doesn't equal causation, but factor in the stress, anxiety and pressure plus a rise in alcoholism and it's easy to see the parallel in the rise of suicides among the same demographic.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 5 users Like evenheathen's post
22-04-2016, 09:42 PM
(22-04-2016 07:29 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(22-04-2016 06:34 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Women? Tongue

Could be.

Just to clarify, my joke was aimed more at couples in a relationship who drive each other nuts. In other words, all of them. Big Grin

Nice-Guy-Syndrome, misogyny and crimes against women is definitely something that should be addressed by our society. It's a volatile subject, but an important one.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
22-04-2016, 10:01 PM
why is male suicide going up?
What does it matter? Everyone is going to die. Some people like to choose the time and place.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post