• 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2016, 10:01 PM
why is male suicide going up?
Double post.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2016, 10:07 PM
RE: why is male suicide going up?
(22-04-2016 10:01 PM)KUSA Wrote:  What does it matter? Everyone is going to die. Some people like to choose the time and place.

Even as a nihilist i can recognize the worth of a life not fully lived, and subsequently the loss that comes with a life taken too early. It doesn't matter to you, it doesn't matter to me unless i know the person, but to those close to them and in any way relying on them it matters in a lot of ways. Empathy is not your strong suit is it?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
22-04-2016, 10:28 PM
(22-04-2016 09:28 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  And I haven't even started on the "entitled white bread young man" majority of killer/suicides as well as just suicides. Young white guys are having a hard time dealing with lack of entitlement fulfillment issues.

Question: Why are you bringing up male perpetuated murder in a thread made about male suicide?

Although it's interesting the reason why you think men commit suicide more, and why they murder more. It's like you can't even fathom that not everything men do has to do with your sex. Ayy you wanna' talk about entitlement lol.
22-04-2016, 10:37 PM
(22-04-2016 09:28 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(22-04-2016 09:15 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I don't blame my sexual frustrations on anyone in particulate, women or otherwise. I mean I'm bitter that I get to spend my life with an overpowering biological imperative that can never be satiated, and that even voluntary castration wouldn't rid me of those shackles (I researched the option), but I recognize that it's not really Eve's doing. It's God and the flawed blueprints he used to construct me. I could have done better.

Yes but you're not the lame-o (thx gil) douchebag the killer in Cali was who left a women hating/blaming manifesto before he killed those people and then himself. And I haven't even started on the "entitled white bread young man" majority of killer/suicides as well as just suicides. Young white guys are having a hard time dealing with lack of entitlement fulfillment issues.

You otoh do not seem to have that nor are you a social pariah.

As a young white man I can say no, generalizing young white guys having these issues of lack of entitlement is wrong. Any who lash out because of it, is most likely caused by another underlying issue like mental health issues.

Also 50 year old black man just shot and killed 5 people in Georgia so there's that.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/04/23/fiv...large.html

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
23-04-2016, 12:00 AM
(22-04-2016 10:28 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(22-04-2016 09:28 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  And I haven't even started on the "entitled white bread young man" majority of killer/suicides as well as just suicides. Young white guys are having a hard time dealing with lack of entitlement fulfillment issues.

Question: Why are you bringing up male perpetuated murder in a thread made about male suicide?

Although it's interesting the reason why you think men commit suicide more, and why they murder more. It's like you can't even fathom that not everything men do has to do with your sex. Ayy you wanna' talk about entitlement lol.

Continuation:

Anytime a discussion specific to one sex occurs, I find it interesting to compare it to either an actual discussion that is the same, only specific to the other sex, or to imagine a hypothetical where that is the case. Imagine this hypothetical: The same thread as this appears, only concerning females rather than males. A user, in response, chimes in with this:

"I was actually thinking, "Why is female suicide rising?.... the same reason female child abuse is rising." I say a some of it is because some females can't get laid because more men are either not interested in females or not interested in lame females and that turns into misandry. That's also what they say causes child abuse a lot too.

Double edge sword, "You won't fuck me because I'm lame, so I'll hate you for it and then abuse a child. Funny how that works. Now more suicides on the rise. At least they're killing themselves and not hurting kids

I wonder how many of those same females spend their time enjoying their hating on men rather than learning to not abuse children?

This also applies to men, except for the child abusing bit. Men are less likely to abuse children for revenge."

(And it is a fact that mothers and women abuse children in the US more than fathers and men:
http://www.americanhumane.org/children/s...stics.html

^ These guys get their data from the child maltreatment report, of the children's bureau. It's not some sloppy biased college survey that feminists cite.)

So, someone chimes in with that. The factual parts are irrelevant; the conjecture is especially irrelevant, and downright rude, given the context of the topic; all in all obviously posted as a distraction to the intended topic. What kind of response would this forums user-base give to that? It'd look like this:
The poster would get dogpiled. Their intentions would be questioned. It'd be concluded that they posted it because they're an misogynist, so insecure that they can't handle any focus on womens issues. And this, I'd say, would be a reasonable evaluation of this poster, at that time.

Then, maybe male suicide is much higher, in part, because of the double standard society has concerning the sexes. Because the reaction that this hypothetical post would without a doubt - and rightfully so - garner, when slightly altered to reverse sexes, didn't. I recommend reading on the 'women are wonderful effect' ( < Wikipedia entry) for further understanding of this double standard.

(BTW, I so hate personal squabbles that take over threads. This post has everything to do with tying in what I see as a general double standard that exists prettymuch everywhere, relevantly to the topic of male suicide. This is not an attempt to make a back-and-forth out of things with a certain poster.)
[+] 1 user Likes Gilgamesh's post
23-04-2016, 12:37 AM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2016 12:43 AM by Szuchow.)
According to police statistics number of suicides among both sexes in Poland is on the rise from 2011 to 2014*.

Warsaw Institute of Psychiatry and Neurology** claims that about half of people who committed suicide had some form of depression. Alcoholism also is deemed as risk factor - about half of suicides number among men took place after drinking or among people with history of heavy drinking.

Economic factors seems to play some role too but in years of crisis number of suicides was among lowest noted in statistics.

*http://statystyka.policja.pl/st/wybrane-statystyki/samobojstwa
**http://www2.mz.gov.pl/wwwfiles/ma_struktura/docs/zal4_samobojoglo_02102013.pdf

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
23-04-2016, 04:39 AM
(22-04-2016 06:43 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Ok Zeke, I'll probably regret this. Why do you think guy suicide is on the rise?

Various factors. I can't say which ones exactly, but the two I listed are the ones I have noticed.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
23-04-2016, 04:47 AM
(22-04-2016 09:38 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I read an article recently that talked about the rise of deaths in younger males due to alcoholism brought on by high stress and anxiety caused by economic pressures that continue to get worse. It struck me particularly because I'm a young male who recently bought a house and new car and the pressure to be able to provide month to month becomes increasingly worrisome as changes in my workplace don't seem to give me the assurance of stability they did in the first year.

I also find it harder and harder to resist turning to alcohol to numb the anxiety, given my propensity to imbibe is pretty strong in the first place. I consider myself a high functioning alcoholic. But I digress.

I know that correlation doesn't equal causation, but factor in the stress, anxiety and pressure plus a rise in alcoholism and it's easy to see the parallel in the rise of suicides among the same demographic.

Your description is hauntingly familiar. I suggest you seriously consider not drinking alcohol.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
23-04-2016, 04:48 AM
(22-04-2016 03:40 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  There are many reasons but I think the pattern I hear is that men aren't listened too and that the way we try to help men doesn't work(i.e trying to talk about feelings). But of course I want to see what ya'll think.

I think those are pretty vague.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
23-04-2016, 04:52 AM
(22-04-2016 03:55 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(22-04-2016 03:50 PM)Dom Wrote:  I thought old folks took the prize in suicide frequency:

https://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/

Maybe in the U.S, but as I said it has become the leading cause of death in young males in the U.K
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/male-suicide-sc...th-1493340
Still either way, both are terrible.

From that article:
"The male:female suicide rate differential was 1.7:1 in 1983 and steadily rose over the subsequent 30 years,
reaching 3.5:1 in 2013. The prime reason was a steep decline in the number of women committing suicide."

I have yet to see any strong evidence to support your contention.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post