why is male suicide going up?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2016, 11:39 AM
RE: why is male suicide going up?
(23-04-2016 09:52 AM)KUSA Wrote:  
(23-04-2016 08:11 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  I'm talking about the tragedy that occurs when someone chooses a permanent solution to temporary problems.

Life and it's struggles are not a temporary problem. It goes on until it ends or is ended by choice.

Yabbut - some things just pass and leave no trouble behind. Breaking up with my first love comes to mind - my world seemed to come to an end. But it was a temporary issue. Life looked a lot different just a couple weeks later.

Other things just get worse and there is no hope of them getting better - like when your body or mind wear out.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
23-04-2016, 12:03 PM
(23-04-2016 07:09 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(23-04-2016 06:25 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  Yes, I know. I was just extrapolating on that. This thread did not specify suicides only and many suicides are murder/suicides when it comes to men, whether it's a mass shooting or a more personal killing of their family or their SO's family and then themselves. I can't recall ever having heard of a woman killing a bunch of her family members before offing herself. Not saying it's never happened but that's not the usual scenario. So men having issues with women is a valid reason, not the only reason but certainly a significant one.

That is because men are just way more violent than women. Thanks to natural selection humans males, like all other male apes, have a violent part of him. Now some men are smart, some put it into things like sports or video games, while other men do what you just mentioned. Now this is not to say there are not women as violent as men, but they are pretty much the exception to the rule. This is why you don't see women shooting up schools, because women are not as violent(and even if they are, women are smarter so they know how to hide it better). Add to the fact that men suck at communicating when comparing them to women and the fact they are more emotional, they will be driven to do dumb things. In short, men are on average, more violent and crazy than women.

I think you're right about women expressing their violence differently. And men maybe/are more violent as a whole but two things here: men aren't more crazy than women or I would have to see some stats on this to believe it BUT women are not as confrontational as men as a whole which is why the men's violence seems obvious and the women's doesn't. I think women are much more devious or scheming (not ALL women, as some would like to accuse me of saying I mean all, when I actually said "some" [not you Meta but others here]) instead of confrontational and it would be reasonable to say evolution/survival is the reason for it. When you are the stronger you can risk confrontation but when you are the weaker you must rely on cunning. Smile

There is no ALL in anything, there's always some or many or most but nearly never all.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
23-04-2016, 12:23 PM
I would say that men suicide rates are due to a combination of factor.

1) A higher level of reported suicide. Suicide used to be very taboo in the western world in no small part due to religious bias.
2) Economical difficulties. The last 25 years have been characterised by slower economic growth and instabilities that affected especially elder man (45+). Retirement funds are at risk, low skill well paid manufacture jobs, the staple of the middle class in North America, are becoming less and less numerous and stable.
3) Mental troubles under-diagnosed amongst men.
4) Greater social isolation thanks to the development of social media.
5) Machismo. Many men are more afraid of being labelled weak than of their own problems.
6) A greater chance for a men to develop socio-communication problems.
7) Suicide becoming a more common and palatable choice in situation of disease or financial bankruptcies.
8) More men living a stressful lifestyle. (Unstable jobs, unstable social network, etc.)
9) Higher criminality and substance abuse.

To me the solution remains the same than with any other form of mental illness on the rise.

1) A better social net for the elderly.
2) More community project.
3) A greater importance put on school and literacy. (Especially computer literacy)
4) More resources in the healthcare system attributed to mental illness.
5) Getting over the remains of machismo culture.
6) Healthier food and nutrition (sounds dumb, but it works wonder)
7) More sexual education that would touch couple relationship.
8) durable economical development.
9) Prevention against drug, gambling and alchool abuse

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 3 users Like epronovost's post
23-04-2016, 12:28 PM
I have not now, nor ever stated all young white guys were anything.

ONE: I said, of these: suicides, mass murder/suicides and murder suicides many were guys with "young white male entitlement issues". If that is not you (a murder who has committed suicide, a mass murder who had committed suicide after you killed people or if you just killed yourself) then it doesn't apply to you and stop claiming victimhood for yourself.

TWO: Just so we're clear on my pov, like when I say suicides or mass murderers or murders who commit suicide, are mostly comprised of young men with "white male entitlement issues"... it does NOT mean all white males have entitlement issues, it meant what I said it meant, suicides, mass murders/suicides and murder/suicides have this issue. If you are not a mass murderer suicide, murder/suicide or someone who has commited suicide then it does NOT apply to you.

Okay, I stated it two different ways to the best of my abilities, so the two people who, IMO, aren't even trying to understand my words as much as are trying to purposely misconstrue my meaning to suit their own personal bias of me and to troll me, will get a clue. If you two can't comprehend this, then please feel free to ignore my posts because we just cannot communicate.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
23-04-2016, 12:30 PM
(23-04-2016 09:52 AM)KUSA Wrote:  
(23-04-2016 08:11 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  I'm talking about the tragedy that occurs when someone chooses a permanent solution to temporary problems.

Life and it's struggles are not a temporary problem. It goes on until it ends or is ended by choice.

In either case, it's temporary. Everything's temporary.

#sigh
23-04-2016, 12:39 PM
(23-04-2016 12:03 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  I think you're right about women expressing their violence differently. And men maybe/are more violent as a whole but two things here: men aren't more crazy than women or I would have to see some stats on this to believe it BUT women are not as confrontational as men as a whole which is why the men's violence seems obvious and the women's doesn't. I think women are much more devious or scheming (not ALL women, as some would like to accuse me of saying I mean all, when I actually said "some" [not you Meta but others here]) instead of confrontational and it would be reasonable to say evolution/survival is the reason for it. When you are the stronger you can risk confrontation but when you are the weaker you must rely on cunning. Smile

Don't worry fam, I don't take it as people implying all, so I understand your context.

I always tell people this, and that is the most powerful weapon is what we call, the pussy. Men will fall in line just to let the girl think about letting them notice it. But I rarely see any guy having girls line up for his dick. If a guy has girls lined up it ain't for his dick and it is not just women.

And the thing is in context, men choose this. Men today complain about women and I say, men we choose this. For millions of years women who knew how to manipulate men, and he fell for it hook line and sinker. And we still do. The game of evolution never ends. Women will always be the better sex in this game, and humans are no exception. Tongue

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
23-04-2016, 12:42 PM
(23-04-2016 12:23 PM)epronovost Wrote:  5) Machismo. Many men are more afraid of being labelled weak than of their own problems.

Well this is the only one I can't agree with. I mean suicide was lower for men in the past, yet machismo was more prominent then. So I don't know how this is a factor.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
23-04-2016, 01:03 PM
Zeke, I think your point in the Op might be closest to the reason. Many men feel they aren't listened to, or told to just bitch up.

Also treating of depression in men is often more difficult, because they're less likely to seek help, and talk therapy isn't always the best way to address the issue.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

23-04-2016, 01:06 PM
(23-04-2016 01:03 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Zeke, I think your point in the Op might be closest to the reason. Many men feel they aren't listened to, or told to just bitch up.

Also treating of depression in men is often more difficult, because they're less likely to seek help, and talk therapy isn't always the best way to address the issue.

From personal experience I can say Zeke is spot on with that.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
23-04-2016, 01:14 PM
(23-04-2016 08:55 AM)Dom Wrote:  I mean, dead is dead, when you are dead you are not missing anything. It is the survivors who are missing something. The departed decided that life (for them) did not have value, it wasn't worth the struggle.

Suicidal people are blamed for being selfish, criminalized, ostracized by their church buddies and it is automatically assumed that they must be irrational or depressed.

I've known 4 people who committed suicide. Three were kids/young adults (all male), one was older and female (my god mother).

All but one were depressed at the time they committed suicide. The third was totally irrational, I would say picking a fight, getting suspended, coming home and hanging yourself was incredibly irrational.

I would also suggest that when my godmother took a gun to her head she was ONLY considering ending her pain (selfish) and didn't think or consider her junior high age daughter finding her body.

There was NOTHING rational about what she did.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post