why should I care about them?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2017, 03:28 AM
RE: why should I care about them?
(24-02-2017 02:49 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  The biggest problem I have with religious beliefs is that they can be literally anything. I could make up any bollocks I like now, and call it my religion.

That doesn't give me the right to start judging others based on these ideas, expecting them to believe them too, or to have the law bend around me. For example, it pisses me off how people are allowed to wear Burkas in England, even though it's blatantly against the law to hide your face in certain places for security reasons. We're then in the business of saying what is and isn't a "real religion". I can say it's my religious belief to wear a balaclava all the time, and I'd be told to take it off.

I'm not aware of any UK law that requires you to uncover your face (aside from on e.g. to check identification).

The police can impose temporary orders requiring someone wearing a facial covering to remove it for public order e.g. during riots, but afaik any time else or any where else it is a matter of policy for individual establishments e.g. banks, who have a right to refuse custom if their customer refuses to comply.

IMO many establishments are reluctant to do so in the case of islamic dress, for fear of claims of racism (and I could see how such a policy could potentially be abused in order to be able to refuse service to certain groups).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ukatheist's post
24-02-2017, 06:50 AM
Sure yeah, I didn't mean all the time. I meant in situations where being identifiable is important.

I see, so it's a matter of individual policy rather than a government rule? I didn't know that.

If someone walks into an establishement with their face covered, they are hiding their identity from CCTV so (in my opinion) they absolutely deserve to be refused service. Kicked right out, in fact. The only exception I'd make is on medical grounds, for example a bandaged-up face. It's tough shit if you think a sky fairy wants you to cover your face, you shouldn't be given special consideration for that.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-02-2017, 06:58 AM
(24-02-2017 06:50 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Sure yeah, I didn't mean all the time. I meant in situations where being identifiable is important.

I see, so it's a matter of individual policy rather than a government rule? I didn't know that.

If someone walks into an establishement with their face covered, they are hiding their identity from CCTV so (in my opinion) they absolutely deserve to be refused service. Kicked right out, in fact. The only exception I'd make is on medical grounds, for example a bandaged-up face. It's tough shit if you think a sky fairy wants you to cover your face, you shouldn't be given special consideration for that.
and even then, why would anyone with a real bandaged up face be out and about anyway? certainly not a safe way to drive

i feel like people should understand why they have to remove the burka. wear it in private but if people need to ensure everyone's safety at a public event, just take it off
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes seagull's post