why would a deity need to take attendance ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2016, 04:58 PM
RE: why would a deity need to take attendance ?
(25-04-2016 03:06 PM)Skittles Wrote:  
(24-04-2016 06:09 PM)Alla Wrote:  I understand you, I was an atheist since I was a child. I was born and raised in communist country the USSR.

This question is totally unimportant to our conversation...

It's a red herring, meant to distract. She thinks by linking her alleged atheism to Communist Russia it makes it have more credibility despite the fact that the country has never been anything but highly religious, even during the days of the Soviet Union despite the governments "best" attempts to make it otherwise.

Russia and Religion.
USSR and Religion.

Of the 144 million people about 80 million belong to the Russian Orthodoxy alone, with "non-believers" making about 14% or slightly higher of the population. The country has never been highly atheist.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2016, 07:00 PM
(25-04-2016 04:58 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(25-04-2016 03:06 PM)Skittles Wrote:  This question is totally unimportant to our conversation...

It's a red herring, meant to distract. She thinks by linking her alleged atheism to Communist Russia it makes it have more credibility despite the fact that the country has never been anything but highly religious, even during the days of the Soviet Union despite the governments "best" attempts to make it otherwise.

Russia and Religion.
USSR and Religion.

Of the 144 million people about 80 million belong to the Russian Orthodoxy alone, with "non-believers" making about 14% or slightly higher of the population. The country has never been highly atheist.

Thank you for that information. I actually had a huge misconception about this. I wouldn't have checked it either. No Sad as that is...
25-04-2016, 07:19 PM
(25-04-2016 07:00 PM)Skittles Wrote:  
(25-04-2016 04:58 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  It's a red herring, meant to distract. She thinks by linking her alleged atheism to Communist Russia it makes it have more credibility despite the fact that the country has never been anything but highly religious, even during the days of the Soviet Union despite the governments "best" attempts to make it otherwise.

Russia and Religion.
USSR and Religion.

Thank you for that information. I actually had a huge misconception about this. I wouldn't have checked it either. No Sad as that is...

Nothing to worry about, that's why the community is here Smile

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
25-04-2016, 08:57 PM
Skittles Wrote:This question is totally unimportant to our conversation, but I'm curious why you decided to add a god to your thoughts/life since you weren't raised with the god concept? Or were you? Maybe I have this all wrong
True, totally unimportant. But I will answer your question. I didn't decide to add God to my thoughts/life. I strongly believe that God decided to add Himself to my thoughts first and later into my life. But this is also totally unimportant.
Skittles Wrote:A prophet needed to be completely in tune with the Jewish/Christian bible.
The prophet couldn't change the meaning of the bible
I asked you "who says this?" Could you, please, tell me.
Skittles Wrote:and certainly (most importantly) couldn't contradict the word of Jesus.
I would agree with this. Could you, please, help me to know (at least one example) how Joseph Smith was contradicting word of Jesus.
Skittles Wrote:You are taking the Jews beliefs and bastardizing them.
I know nothing about their believes. I don't know their philosophies and have no desire to know. So, how can I bastardize them? But I follow teachings of the prophets of God. There is big difference between teachings of Jewish philosophers and theologians and teaching of God's PROPHETS.
Skittles Wrote:They (the Jews) made up the rule of monotheism
I really don't care what the Jews made up. But I care about teachings of the PROPHETS of God including biblical prophets. I am learning their teachings not teachings of Jewish theologians.
Skittles Wrote:YOU are taking THEIR books and their words and telling them what it means.
I don't take their books. I take books that were written by PROPHETS of God, NOT by Jewish philosophers who ever they are.
Skittles Wrote:Add to this, the book of Mormon that has absolutely NO HISTORICAL PROOF.
OK. What is your point? and how does it show that JS was not prophet of God?
Skittles Wrote:Wheat and barley? Really? Wheat and barley in the Americas?
OK, we have no evidence that there were wheat and barley in the Americas at those times. How does it show that JS was not a prophet of God?
Skittles Wrote:I get you're from Russia but come on.... Really?
what is this suppose to mean? that people from Russia even less educated than Americans who don't even know where Portugal is or who won during Civil War in America?
One more thing, I never said that I was from Russia. So, why do you say that I am from Russia?
Skittles Wrote:A quick google search will dispel this myth. Maybe Joseph Smith should have been more keen on American history.
May be he should have been. But what does it have to do with being a prophet of God? Why should someone to know American History to be chosen by God as His prophet?
Skittles Wrote:Should I mention how we have to THROW OUT all archaeological and genetic evidence to date just to pretend that Joseph Smith was honest. We would also have to THROW AWAY all known linguistic and language research. Why would we do that?
I don't know why we should do this. Really, why? Nobody is proposing to do this.
what evidence are you talking about? could you, please, be more specific.
Skittles Wrote:In order for Joseph Smith to be correct, we have to throw away almost everything we have FACTS for.
Horses, Steel, Silk...
what facts? that we didn't find evidence of horses, steel, silk in times of the BoM? I think we should keep this facts. But how does it prove that JS was not a prophet of God?
How is lack evidence proves anything?
Skittles Wrote:Let's not forget PIGS! Do you know the damage the pigs caused for the Indians when the Europeans turned them loose in America? There were NO PIGS IN AMERICA until after the 1500's. I'm sorry your prophet didn't know that, but the point is, he didn't and his writings show that.
OK, he didn't know that there were no pigs. What this suppose to mean? How does it show that JS was not a prophet of God?
Skittles Wrote:Okay, now you're getting into the Trinity and I've never understood that properly.
Neither did I. But how does it show that Joseph Smith was not a prophet of God?
Skittles Wrote:I was never able to accept it the way the Christians taught it to me (back in the day).
I agree. I never could digest and accept that doctrine. I don't think anybody actually understand it.
Skittles Wrote:Joseph Smith and EVERY religion that comes AFTER the Christian religion that is based on the Christian religion, is WRONG because of all the evidence that's available. The most conclusive being DNA.
Please, tell me about DNA. How does the evidence that we have show that it is wrong?
Skittles Wrote:Joseph Smith writes about gods though, so he needs to PROVE something.
He needs to prove it to whom? and why?
Skittles Wrote:1. The BofM is historically false on a number of issues.
it's a claim. who claims this?

Cheers

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
25-04-2016, 08:59 PM
Plymouth rock landed on Allah

Why must I be Ladd? via da Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
25-04-2016, 09:06 PM
It is true that there were religious people in the USSR, but they could not speak about their faith openly. They were in the shadows. So, we, young generation, were indoctrinated in schools and laughed at theists the way atheists on this forum laugh at me now. I am becoming a believer in Karma. What goes around comes around. My great grandma (theist) tried to convince me that there was God I laughed at her and made fun of her.
At home, in school, in University we were taught that there were no God/gods.
I agreed. There was no doubt in my mind that that was the truth.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
26-04-2016, 04:38 AM
(25-04-2016 08:57 PM)Alla Wrote:  I asked you "who says this?" Could you, please, tell me.
(25-04-2016 08:57 PM)Alla Wrote:  I would agree with this. Could you, please, help me to know (at least one example) how Joseph Smith was contradicting word of Jesus.
(25-04-2016 08:57 PM)Alla Wrote:  But I follow teachings of the prophets of God.
(25-04-2016 08:57 PM)Alla Wrote:  I really don't care what the Jews made up. But I care about teachings of the PROPHETS of God including biblical prophets. I am learning their teachings not teachings of Jewish theologians.
(25-04-2016 08:57 PM)Alla Wrote:  I don't take their books. I take books that were written by PROPHETS of God, NOT by Jewish philosophers who ever they are.
(25-04-2016 08:57 PM)Alla Wrote:  how does it show that JS was not prophet of God?
(25-04-2016 08:57 PM)Alla Wrote:  How does it show that JS was not a prophet of God?

Many of your responses had to do with needing some kind of proof that Joseph Smith was not a prophet so I'll just try to answer most of them here.

https://www.mormon.org/faq/what-is-book-of-mormon
"The Book of Mormon is another witness that Jesus Christ really lived, that He was and is God’s Son."

1. This idea is taken from the Christian religion
2. The Christian's swiped their back story from the Jewish people.
3. The Jewish people wrote the original story of which you speak.
4. The Jewish people get to tell us what their book says. They wrote it, they preserved it (pretty damn well, I might add), they understand it.
5. Who is Jesus Christ again? Prophet? Messiah? Maybe we should ask the Jews, it's their book... originally.

In other words, you are going to have to prove Joseph Smith is an actual prophet. So far I've pointed out to you Isaiah 8:20 and Isaiah 43:10, I'll also give you Isaiah 44:6.

You can't have it both ways. Either god(s) left a record of what he expects or he didn't. If he did, then where do you think he left the information on how to recognize a "TRUE PROPHET" of god.

(25-04-2016 08:57 PM)Alla Wrote:  what is this suppose to mean? that people from Russia even less educated than Americans who don't even know where Portugal is or who won during Civil War in America?
One more thing, I never said that I was from Russia. So, why do you say that I am from Russia?

I'm sorry about that. I never meant for that to insult you. What I meant was simply that you weren't from the U.S. so I wouldn't expect you to know about all the mistakes that Joseph Smith made about the livestock and plants in America 2000 years ago, but I would expect J.S. to know since he was living here AND writing about it.

I'm sorry I said you were from Russia. I made a connection that I never should have.

(25-04-2016 08:57 PM)Alla Wrote:  May be he should have been. But what does it have to do with being a prophet of God? Why should someone to know American History to be chosen by God as His prophet?

If Joseph Smith is a prophet of god then why is the book of Mormon wrong? Maybe I don't understand "WHO" your god(s) is/are. Is there a reason why a god would relate an impossible story to Joseph Smith?

(25-04-2016 08:57 PM)Alla Wrote:  I don't know why we should do this. Really, why? Nobody is proposing to do this.
what evidence are you talking about? could you, please, be more specific.

The book of Mormon.
The writings of Abraham. (proven to be a fraud)

These two writings have things written in them that can be proven false. DNA proves the Indians came from Asia not from Europe! The languages also follow this path. There is no archaeological evidence anywhere that indicates the tribes J.S. claims to have lived, fought battles, and died here, even existed.

(25-04-2016 08:57 PM)Alla Wrote:  what facts? that we didn't find evidence of horses, steel, silk in times of the BoM? I think we should keep this facts. But how does it prove that JS was not a prophet of God?
How is lack evidence proves anything?

If your god is an absolute liar with no power or ability other than that of a regular man, then by all means... Joseph Smith is/was a prophet to that god.

Maybe you should tell me why Joseph Smith is a prophet, and where you get your information.

(25-04-2016 08:57 PM)Alla Wrote:  Please, tell me about DNA. How does the evidence that we have show that it is wrong?

The American Indians are descendants of Asian people.

Skittles Wrote:Joseph Smith writes about gods though, so he needs to PROVE something.
(25-04-2016 08:57 PM)Alla Wrote:  He needs to prove it to whom? and why?

I was wrong. There is absolutely no "need" to prove anything. Just don't expect educated people to believe anything he says. He's written too many lies.

Skittles Wrote:1. The BofM is historically false on a number of issues.
(25-04-2016 08:57 PM)Alla Wrote:  it's a claim. who claims this?

Show me the dead on Cumorah. Show me the weapons. Didn't a couple of MILLION people die on that hill in at least two different wars? Even if it's ONLY hundreds of thousands... Let's see some evidence. Too many dead bodies missing from such a small place.

Cheers
[+] 2 users Like Skittles's post
26-04-2016, 05:17 AM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2016 08:54 AM by ClydeLee.)
(25-04-2016 09:06 PM)Alla Wrote:  There was no doubt in my mind that that was the truth.

Well that's the problem with indoctrination and unreflective educational thinking vs critical thinking teaching.

That's what is sad about you continually showing signs of that lasting in your mentality to just a new authority source. You still say thinks like, no I can't comprehend that or humans can't and such. All those claims degrading your capabilities while said in believe claimed to be known absolute manner is the worst part of your behavior. You really should doubt more of your limiting views of yourself.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
26-04-2016, 08:18 AM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2016 08:24 AM by Tomasia.)
(08-04-2016 07:25 AM)Ace Wrote:  I know the incentive the church has to make sure followers coming once a week......... to collect the 10% income tax

but why would a deity even care if we go to church, what does it gain him/her/them/it/that ?

and what could theists say to justify gods desire for people to go there on a weekly basis?

what got me this curios was The Big Bang Theory, season 3 Episode 23

Because if they don't go to church they end up becoming Donald Trump supporters.

On more serious note, the meat of any religion is it's community, once that's dissolved the religion dies along with it. The importance of the church, like the importantance of eating with your family, or spending time with your wife, it's conducive to tying the threads of that relationship. And from personal experience, it seems that non-church going believers tend to be the most maladaptive.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
26-04-2016, 08:26 AM
(26-04-2016 08:18 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(08-04-2016 07:25 AM)Ace Wrote:  I know the incentive the church has to make sure followers coming once a week......... to collect the 10% income tax

but why would a deity even care if we go to church, what does it gain him/her/them/it/that ?

and what could theists say to justify gods desire for people to go there on a weekly basis?

what got me this curios was The Big Bang Theory, season 3 Episode 23

Because if they don't go to church they end up becoming Donald Trump supporters.

On more serious note, the meat of any religion is it's community, once that's dissolved the religion dies along with it. The importance of the church, like the importantance of eating with your family, or spending time with your wife, it's conducive to tying the threads of that relationship. And from personal experience, it seems that non-church going believers tend to be the most maladaptive.

The meat of any religion is the need of church attendance to reinforce the weekly brainwashing.

Still waiting on your reply in the other thread by the way Drinking Beverage

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick