working for a christian charity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2015, 10:31 PM
working for a christian charity?
Recently, one of my classmates has asked me if I want to help some newly arrived young immigrants and teach them English. Naturally I accepted the offer but I soon regret my rash decision because as it turns out, the organization that supported this program is in fact a christian charity. Now I am stuck. Should I stick to my original plan and work for a christian group, or should I just bug out and enrage my classmate?

I got Dysgraphia and i am not living in the US so plz forgive my poor english.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2015, 10:35 PM
RE: working for a christian charity?
I would still volunteer because they are taking part in a good cause. You have the ability to help a lot of people. Don't let the christian thing stop you.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
28-12-2015, 10:45 PM
(28-12-2015 10:31 PM)bustead Wrote:  Recently, one of my classmates has asked me if I want to help some newly arrived young immigrants and teach them English. Naturally I accepted the offer but I soon regret my rash decision because as it turns out, the organization that supported this program is in fact a christian charity. Now I am stuck. Should I stick to my original plan and work for a christian group, or should I just bug out and enrage my classmate?

You could find a Literacy Council group locally, then you still could teach ESL classes to non-English speaking people. Then you tell your friend that you won't be able to work with them after all because you committed yourself to the other teaching program. Smile

I love my students in my ESL (English as a Second Language) class. It's extremely rewarding for me too.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
28-12-2015, 10:53 PM
(28-12-2015 10:35 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I would still volunteer because they are taking part in a good cause. You have the ability to help a lot of people. Don't let the christian thing stop you.

I would respectfully disagree with this. As an ESL instructor that has had an unpleasant experience with this I would not recommend it. Our Literacy Council group had a class that was held in a church in a small town near us and the instructor volunteers who belonged to the church took over the class and made it a prayer group, even though they were given the rules of having the ESL class in the church meant they were not to subject the students to their religion or hold any kind of service or religious instruction in class. Many students complained.

The council had to suspend their support and find another meeting place for the students who did not want to be preached to. The class spilt and we lost half our students and the other lost a month of classes while we tried to relocate them.

I could not support a program where they offer English but coerce religion.

28-12-2015, 10:59 PM
(28-12-2015 10:53 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(28-12-2015 10:35 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I would still volunteer because they are taking part in a good cause. You have the ability to help a lot of people. Don't let the christian thing stop you.

I would respectfully disagree with this. As an ESL instructor that has had an unpleasant experience with this I would not recommend it. Our Literacy Council group had a class that was held in a church in a small town near us and the instructor volunteers who belonged to the church took over the class and made it a prayer group, even though they were given the rules of having the ESL class in the church meant they were not to subject the students to their religion or hold any kind of service or religious instruction in class. Many students complained.

The council had to suspend their support and find another meeting place for the students who did not want to be preached to. The class spilt and we lost half our students and the other lost a month of classes while we tried to relocate them.

How awful. I have done some volunteering with Christians in various mediums and have not had this problem, but I can certainly see it happening. Hopefully this organization isn't like that whether the OP gets involved or not. Undecided
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
29-12-2015, 11:44 AM
Seth tells tales of Christian missions and charities only helping groups in order to proselytize.

"We will build you houses, and then teach you about Christ."
"We will help your farm, then teach you about Christ."
"We will teach you to read...the bible."

I have no real experience with Christian Charities, so I cannot say whether or not that is the common. But that's a despicable practice.

I volunteered with my friend's church once at a homeless center. No conversion attempts that time.

It probably depends on the organization. I wouldn't be involved with a charity that has "convert" or "inform" in their mission statement. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a problem for me personally. Just figure out what the organization is all about. Or if possible, tell your friend that you just want to try it for a day or a week before you fully commit.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
29-12-2015, 11:50 AM
(28-12-2015 10:59 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(28-12-2015 10:53 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  I would respectfully disagree with this. As an ESL instructor that has had an unpleasant experience with this I would not recommend it. Our Literacy Council group had a class that was held in a church in a small town near us and the instructor volunteers who belonged to the church took over the class and made it a prayer group, even though they were given the rules of having the ESL class in the church meant they were not to subject the students to their religion or hold any kind of service or religious instruction in class. Many students complained.

How awful. I have done some volunteering with Christians in various mediums and have not had this problem, but I can certainly see it happening. Hopefully this organization isn't like that whether the OP gets involved or not. Undecided

I'm not saying every one of them is like that but religion is religion, their agenda is to convert. I have no faith in them not using their influence to do what they do so well. Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
29-12-2015, 12:00 PM
(29-12-2015 11:50 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(28-12-2015 10:59 PM)jennybee Wrote:  How awful. I have done some volunteering with Christians in various mediums and have not had this problem, but I can certainly see it happening. Hopefully this organization isn't like that whether the OP gets involved or not. Undecided

I'm not saying every one of them is like that but religion is religion, their agenda is to convert. I have no faith in them not using their influence to do what they do so well. Smile

I would agree some are probably like that. They look at it as an opportunity to spread "the good word." There are some that are really trying to help though and that is their prime agenda. I think it is a mixed bag as with anything. I would not volunteer for a place whose prime objective was to spread their religion and helping others was not the top priority.