would you vote in an alternative vote

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2012, 01:31 PM
would you vote in an alternative vote
I know I would{check out the video}
http://youtu.be/k7ydAowkesA

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2012, 05:06 PM
RE: would you vote in an alternative vote
It's PR (proportional representation) re-branded.

Always supported by minority parties and gainsaid by majority parties.

The usual arguments against are e.g. "look how fucked up the Italians are with their PR". Meaning that a strong party with a sizable majority is more likely to get things done whereas lots of small parties trying to reach consensus ends up with lots of back-stabbing.

Dunno how it would work in the US with their 2-party state.

05-11-2012, 11:06 AM
thanx that is something I need to look up.

06-11-2012, 07:30 AM

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
06-11-2012, 07:48 AM
mmp or gtfo

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
06-11-2012, 08:25 AM
(06-11-2012 07:48 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  mmp or gtfo
huh???

07-11-2012, 05:41 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2012 05:57 PM by Hafnof.)
Mixed-member proportional representation[1] is for chumps (aka New Zealanders). You still end up with a situation where a house that is dominated by one party can make law with impunity.

I prefer a model where an upper house writes law, but where these laws must be approved by and can be amended by a lower house (aka the Australian model). Preferential voting / alternative vote is used of course, because anything else is undemocratic.

The upper house should be based a voters electing their local representative. The lower house should be based on voters voting for their preferred national representatives or party. If 30% of voters across the country vote for members of "party A" and with preferential vote flow this puts all party A members across the line then party A will hold 100% of seats in the upper house and can write any law they wish. However, party A only wins 30% of lower house seats. This means they must work with other parties to get their vote over 50% of the lower house and their most extreme legislation can be blocked or amended.

As well as offering protection against absolute rule of a particular political party this model also offers a stable system that tends towards two major parties in the upper house while offering minor parties relatively easy access to the lower house. The lower house can also be a place where minor parties can grow their profile over many election cycles to the point where they can start to challenge for the house of representatives. The preferential voting system means that voters don't have to cast their ballot strategically and can safely vote for the minor party as their first preference while still ensuring that their most preferred major party gets their vote ahead of their least preferred major party.

Australia isn't quite in line with this model (mostly because the senate is divided up by state) but isn't too far off.

[1] http://youtu.be/QT0I-sdoSXU

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
11-11-2012, 10:03 AM
thank you hafnof I will answer you when i get a chance.