wow Florida wow

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2014, 12:59 PM
RE: wow Florida wow
You might be interested to know I offered this proposal on a law enforcement forum.

I proposed the speeding fines be continually raised until enough officers could be hired to create an effective speeding deterrent. Whatever it costs to hire an effective deterrent, bill all the costs to speeders.

Thus, fewer traffic accidents and deaths, at no cost to taxpayers. All law abiding citizens get improved traffic safety, for free.

Every single law enforcement officer who joined that thread vehemently came out against my proposal of raising fines. They didn't seem too anxious to suck money out of your pocket, they were actually really worried about the poor guy who wouldn't be able to pay high fines.

I'm sorry, the simple fact is we'd all be safer if we all drove slower. When something goes wrong, things go better if we're driving 40mph instead of 80mph.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-12-2014, 01:14 PM
(25-12-2014 12:59 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  I'm sorry, the simple fact is we'd all be safer if we all drove slower. When something goes wrong, things go better if we're driving 40mph instead of 80mph.

The faster you go, the less time there is for an accident. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
25-12-2014, 01:21 PM
(25-12-2014 12:59 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  I'm sorry, the simple fact is we'd all be safer if we all drove slower. When something goes wrong, things go better if we're driving 40mph instead of 80mph.

If we all drove at 0 mph there'd be no accidents whatsoever. Dodgy Speed limits are set by human reaction time and conditions, also expedience - if everyone went 40 to get places a lot of stuff would be more complex. Time critical journeys take twice as long etc. In UK on highways they have variable speed limits set remotely according to even the traffic. You guys haven't got something similar?

You might be safer as an individual if you drove slower but a lot more is affected by changing the speed limit than *just* you sitting in your two bit jalopy.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
25-12-2014, 01:37 PM
(25-12-2014 09:34 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(25-12-2014 08:01 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  I live in and love Florida, just in case anybody needs more reasons to yell at me. :-)

Seriously though, ya we got our share of wackos. A recent study concluded that speed was a major factor in traffic deaths. Our legislature followed up on that by raising the speed limit. Huh??? I suppose that will help with over population though, right?

Actually it will. Raising speed limits makes people less likely to dangerously exceed them. Most people will only drive at a safe speed regardless of posted limits (this has been studied) and posting a speed limit below that threshold makes people more inclined to ignore the posted limit entirely.

Might be true for most people but 55 mph already feels too fast for this old man. Raising it to 65 or 75 would make me a road hazard. Big Grin

(25-12-2014 01:21 PM)morondog Wrote:  In UK on highways they have variable speed limits set remotely according to even the traffic. You guys haven't got something similar?

That's rhetorical right?

#sigh
25-12-2014, 01:47 PM
(25-12-2014 01:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(25-12-2014 09:34 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Actually it will. Raising speed limits makes people less likely to dangerously exceed them. Most people will only drive at a safe speed regardless of posted limits (this has been studied) and posting a speed limit below that threshold makes people more inclined to ignore the posted limit entirely.

Might be true for most people but 55 mph already feels too fast for this old man. Raising it to 65 or 75 would make me a road hazard. Big Grin
You do realise that a speed *limit* does imply that you can, y'know, drive slower...?

Quote:
(25-12-2014 01:21 PM)morondog Wrote:  In UK on highways they have variable speed limits set remotely according to even the traffic. You guys haven't got something similar?

That's rhetorical right?
Er... well we don't got 'em... We mainly send runners when we need stuff though. That or ox wagon.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
25-12-2014, 01:53 PM
(25-12-2014 01:47 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(25-12-2014 01:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Might be true for most people but 55 mph already feels too fast for this old man. Raising it to 65 or 75 would make me a road hazard. Big Grin
You do realise that a speed *limit* does imply that you can, y'know, drive slower...?

Like 10 or 15 mph slower and then you get a ticket for impeding traffic and yes I've got a few.

#sigh
25-12-2014, 02:08 PM
(25-12-2014 01:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(25-12-2014 01:47 PM)morondog Wrote:  You do realise that a speed *limit* does imply that you can, y'know, drive slower...?

Like 10 or 15 mph slower and then you get a ticket for impeding traffic and yes I've got a few.

No wonder Manly drives you everywhere. How the hell have you survived the beltway?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
25-12-2014, 02:11 PM
(25-12-2014 02:08 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(25-12-2014 01:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Like 10 or 15 mph slower and then you get a ticket for impeding traffic and yes I've got a few.

No wonder Manly drives you everywhere. How the hell have you survived the beltway?

I don't drive on it. Blush

#sigh
25-12-2014, 02:14 PM
(25-12-2014 02:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(25-12-2014 02:08 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  No wonder Manly drives you everywhere. How the hell have you survived the beltway?

I don't drive on it. Blush

Probably for the best.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
27-12-2014, 07:24 AM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2014 07:42 AM by Patriot10mm.)
(06-11-2014 11:03 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Conservatives have been saying for years that if we cut assistance that the private sector will step in. Now they pass laws making it illegal. I just love them.Weeping

That's complete bullshit. Conservatives didn't pass this law. This isn't a Florida law like the thread title and OP implies. It's a Fort Lauderdale city ordinance passed by the city council and signed into law by the mayor.

The mayor of Fort Lauderdale and the city council are democrats. True liberal progressives.

These democrat nuts also banned homeless people from sleeping anywhere in the downtown area and want churches to stop letting homeless people sleep inside at night.

Death is a debt we all must pay.