wtf are noetics?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2014, 10:40 PM
wtf are noetics?
I keep seeing questions about whatever....these are here and there.

[Image: enhanced-17067-1391576868-1.jpg]

but, wtf are they exactly? Wikipedia is not very helpful.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
09-07-2014, 10:46 PM
RE: wtf are noetics?
(09-07-2014 10:40 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I keep seeing questions about whatever....these are here and there.

[Image: enhanced-17067-1391576868-1.jpg]

but, wtf are they exactly? Wikipedia is not very helpful.

It is what you get when a Buddhist mates with a Scientologist.
[+] 1 user Likes RogueWarrior's post
09-07-2014, 10:51 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2014 11:22 PM by pablo.)
The woman in the picture creeps the shit outta me! She's got that crazy glazed-over cult member look on her face. Blink

Quote:Noetic science is a form of bullshit famously promoted by Dan Brown in The Lost Symbol. It should be noted that noetic "science" and noetic philosophy are distinct. Noetic (from the Greek noetikos, "mental") philosophy is philosophy dealing with the mind, intellect, or consciousness. However, this more often goes under the more obvious name of "theory" or "philosophy of mind" these days. Noetic "science" is closer to the pseudoscience of parapsychology and other such New Age fluff as "expanding your consciousness."

Contents [hide]
1 Institute of Noetic Sciences
1.1 Global Consciousness Project
2 Impact of The Lost Symbol
3 See also
4 Footnotes
[edit]Institute of Noetic Sciences

The Institute of Noetic Sciences is the primary outlet for this form of woo. It was co-founded by former astronaut Edgar Mitchell and former Exxon executive and crank billionaire Paul N. Temple, who is also associated with the fundamentalist Christian organization The Family (no, not that family!) According to the Institute:

“”"Noetic sciences are explorations into the nature and potentials of consciousness using multiple ways of knowing—including intuition, feeling, reason, and the senses. Noetic sciences explore the "inner cosmos" of the mind (consciousness, soul, spirit) and how it relates to the "outer cosmos" of the physical world."[1]
All of which sounds more like other ways of knowing than science.

Unsurprisingly, noetic science has come under criticism from skeptics and actual scientists, and the organization Quackwatch has placed the Institute of Noetic Science on the "questionable organizations" list.[2]

[edit]Global Consciousness Project
The Global Consciousness Project (GCP) is more or less the PEAR project applied on a global scale. The idea is that random number generators (RNG) run by GCP will be affected by the focused attention of many people or high emotions from a worldwide event (i.e., the alleged "global consciousness"). This essentially boils down to running a whole bunch of RNGs, waiting for a spurious, statistically significant result, and then claiming to have successfully detected a "great disturbance in The Force."[3][4]

The project also has a bias of trying to prove that paranormal experiences are true.

[edit]Impact of The Lost Symbol

Following the publication of Brown's book promoting noetic woo the institute has reported a twelve-fold increase in traffic to its web site and an increase in new members,[5] indicating that at least some people take Dan Brown's work seriously.

[edit]
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
10-07-2014, 01:02 AM
Noetics is dead but essentially noetics relies upon the old dualist assumption that the mind is a metaphysical product that somehow has a medium into the natural world(the brain). Noetics is entirely debunked for the most part and is replaced with the Hard Problem of Consciousness and psychology.

Crazy you say?
Wouldn't a crazy man ask another man if he was crazy?! Hobo
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Slave's post
10-07-2014, 04:11 AM
Noetics has nothing to do with metaphysics because metaphysics is the study of reality or "what is really there". For example, "does the universe exist without minds?" That is a metaphysical question.

Essentially Noetics is a dead pseudoscience is based on the myth of "we only use 10% of our brain".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institute_o...c_Sciences

Its kinda like "the secret"

“Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

-Christopher Hitchens
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-07-2014, 06:45 AM
(10-07-2014 04:11 AM)Just Another Atheist Wrote:  Noetics has nothing to do with metaphysics because metaphysics is the study of reality or "what is really there". For example, "does the universe exist without minds?" That is a metaphysical question.

Essentially Noetics is a dead pseudoscience is based on the myth of "we only use 10% of our brain".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institute_o...c_Sciences

Its kinda like "the secret"

I heard that one before.

I actually used to believe in psychic powers because I thought we only used 10% and if we tapped into the rest of it, I could have super powers lol.

Thanks for shedding some light on what noetics are. I never really heard of them before, so I was curious. I thought they might had something to do with noah or something.

I do however believe the universe doesn't exist (technically) without a mind for the simple reason that the only reason we know the universe exists without them is that we already had/have brains to determine this and take that all away and this conversation never happened and we are just a bunch of rocks and therefor proof, and words like existence or everything we know doesnt exist because knowing itself wouldn't be there so....yeah, infinite regressions of X wouldn't exist and lots of therefors etc etc, all leading to what is basically

we could never possibly answer that question therefor I take the stance that it all just doesn't exist without thought, but since we do have thought and have determined that it existed before us anyway and this whole scenario would never happen anyway, its just pointless to talk about so whatever.

10-07-2014, 06:54 AM
(10-07-2014 06:45 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  ...
notices
I thought they might [have] had something to do with noah or something.

Classic!

Stealing that. Yes

10-07-2014, 07:04 AM
(10-07-2014 06:54 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 06:45 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  ...
notices
I thought they might [have] had something to do with noah or something.

Classic!

Stealing that. Yes

Well, it was the noe part of it, rhymes with noah and is sorta similar. So, I assumed it had something to do with that or something.lol.

10-07-2014, 07:37 AM
I was taught that noetics is just another word for epistemology or gnoseology. That is, the philosophical discipline for establishing knowledge, justifying how do we know what we know.

I know about the IONS and frankly, I think they did a good job on methodologies on gathering data in "supernatural" research. Common research protocols just will not do if the observer and the observed object are the same person. (introspective, contemplative practices of clairvoyance and such) I especially like the "Heron's beard" method as a complement of Occam's razor.
10-07-2014, 08:35 AM
(10-07-2014 07:37 AM)Luminon Wrote:  I like this woo, it tickles my taint. Therefore it is true, regardless of the evidence.

Thank you and goodnight.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post