wth?! Ugh help!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2015, 08:08 PM
wth?! Ugh help!
Hello guys! If this has already been asked, I apologize in advance! But I have been doing some reading, I have read godisimaginary.com and a lot of other debunking of the bible... Yeah that makes sense! Until I heard the Paul Harvey "If I were the Devil" ..... How the heck did he know about all of this? And this world is going absolutely nuts! I do not know what to believe anymore and am So confused! I'm 29 and I have 2 toddlers, my 3 yr old is old enough to explain God but I don't know if I should. HuhHuhHuhHuh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2015, 09:35 PM
RE: wth?! Ugh help!
Welcome to the forum.

Your three is old enough to explain god? That's impressive! Could you get him/her on Skype so he/she can explain god to me, please?

Big Grin

If your toddler is ready to start understanding the world, it's important that they get to know what some other children and a few adults believe. So, yeah, why not?

The concept of god (gods and goddesses) is something they need to know about. What they are and why some people believe they are real.

Start with the Greek gods... they're more fun.

Thumbsup
[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
18-01-2015, 09:44 PM
Welcome.
Stop listening to Paul Harvey.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
18-01-2015, 09:49 PM
(18-01-2015 09:35 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Welcome to the forum.

Your three is old enough to explain god? That's impressive! Could you get him/her on Skype so he/she can explain god to me, please?

Big Grin

If your toddler is ready to start understanding the world, it's important that they get to know what some other children and a few adults believe. So, yeah, why not?

The concept of god (gods and goddesses) is something they need to know about. What they are and why some people believe they are real.

Thumbsup

Thank you for your reply and yes my child is starting to be aware of what's going on. However, my real question was not answered. I have been going on with my life honestly not caring... until I had children. I've been seeing so much of this Paul guy and what he said years ago, which is true these days.. I also try to think -- there were probably thousands of predictions of the future and this guy kinda nailed it -- which thinking about it, I probably just answered my own question. I am still figuring out what -I- want to believe and am doing research and I asked quite a few Christians questions they could not answer or got realllly pissed at me. So that lead me to this site and I'm hoping everyone can accept me here and answer any questions that I do have.
18-01-2015, 09:51 PM
The world has been going nuts for centuries, it's old news. Our current version of nuts is just the latest trend, it'll pass into other kinds of nuttiness in a decade or two. Nothing to be amazed at Tongue

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 5 users Like Colourcraze's post
18-01-2015, 10:15 PM
So, what questions do you have for us?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
18-01-2015, 10:42 PM
Welcome to the forum.

(18-01-2015 09:49 PM)Stinajo Wrote:  I have been going on with my life honestly not caring... until I had children.

I've noticed that trend a lot. I don't have kids, but it seems like when people become parents, they feel an obligation to be totally sure of themselves in front of their kids, to always have a satisfying answer to any question their kids might ask. It's always important to encourage kids think skeptically. In fact, they're naturally really good at it, until adults try to step in and set artificial boundaries limiting them to a pre-approved list of easy "answers." You shouldn't just give kids the most immediately satisfying answer, but instead try to get them interested in wanting to learn for themselves.

Also, that "If I were the Devil" thing is called begging the question. You could pick out literally anything you perceive to be wrong in the world and say it's caused by "insert invisible evil character here." (Those damn leprechauns always be stealin' me gold!) Evidence is something you use to test the viability of a hypothesis, not something you cherry pick to conform to your pre-existing conclusion. Drinking Beverage

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
18-01-2015, 10:50 PM
(18-01-2015 09:49 PM)Stinajo Wrote:  
(18-01-2015 09:35 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Welcome to the forum.

Big Grin

Thumbsup

Thank you for your reply and yes my child is starting to be aware of what's going on. However, my real question was not answered. I have been going on with my life honestly not caring... until I had children. I've been seeing so much of this Paul guy and what he said years ago, which is true these days.. I also try to think -- there were probably thousands of predictions of the future and this guy kinda nailed it -- which thinking about it, I probably just answered my own question. I am still figuring out what -I- want to believe and am doing research and I asked quite a few Christians questions they could not answer or got realllly pissed at me. So that lead me to this site and I'm hoping everyone can accept me here and answer any questions that I do have.

You could get a few fortune cookies, some astrology charts, and a palm reader and make the fortunes fit many events. The Chinese have a prophecy book called Tui Bei Tu and it supposedly predicted WW I and WW II and all kinds of things. But people read into things what they want.

Also, the world is in a constant state of agitation. It's been falling apart for thousands of years and every new generation hears from the previous generation that the world's going to hell in a handbasket. And when you're 60 or 70 you'll say the same exact thing.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
18-01-2015, 10:50 PM
Woah...I just accidentally deleted my own post...how is that possible??
O__o
Anyways luckily I typed it out in my notebook so here it is again...

(18-01-2015 09:49 PM)Stinajo Wrote:  Thank you for your reply and yes my child is starting to be aware of what's going on. However, my real question was not answered. I have been going on with my life honestly not caring... until I had children. I've been seeing so much of this Paul guy and what he said years ago, which is true these days.. I also try to think -- there were probably thousands of predictions of the future and this guy kinda nailed it -- which thinking about it, I probably just answered my own question. I am still figuring out what -I- want to believe and am doing research and I asked quite a few Christians questions they could not answer or got realllly pissed at me. So that lead me to this site and I'm hoping everyone can accept me here and answer any questions that I do have.

Your 3 year old is ready to start learning about the world.

http://www.icanteachmychild.com/3-5-years/

I would recommend fun science experiments tailored to his/her age. Learning letters and letter sounds. Check out a list of kindergarten sight words, you'll be amazed how easy it is to teach a three year old sight words. He or she will be reading before you know it.

Being a parent isn't easy. I would suggest that you stick to teaching facts and deductive reasoning skills. When your son or daughter is older they can make decisions about religion for themselves. In the end you'll have to decide what you think is best for your kid though.

As for your worries about the world going to hell in a hand basket...
http://www.cracked.com/blog/7-reasons-ne...really-is/
Maybe this article will make you feel better...there was a time when women were tossed in water and if they didn't drown they were obviously a witch and were hanged or burned alive. O__o
There have been awful terrifying times to live in human history. This isn't one of them really.

Finally, about Paul Harvey. Try reading this. http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...the-devil/

Pay attention to the real world around you. Being a parent is scary enough as it is. Don't be suckered into fearing imaginary bad guys as well. Good luck and welcome to the forum Smile

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
18-01-2015, 11:38 PM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2015 11:51 PM by GirlyMan.)
(18-01-2015 08:08 PM)Stinajo Wrote:  Until I heard the Paul Harvey "If I were the Devil" ..... How the heck did he know about all of this?

'cause he's the Devil. Duh. ... and Girly's got a new hero. Big Grin

(18-01-2015 10:50 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Finally, about Paul Harvey. Try reading this. http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...the-devil/

I heard it as Paul Harvey doing satire. No?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post