wth?! Ugh help!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2015, 10:06 PM
RE: wth?! Ugh help!
(18-01-2015 08:08 PM)Stinajo Wrote:  
Hello guys! If this has already been asked, I apologize in advance! But I have been doing some reading, I have read godisimaginary.com and a lot of other debunking of the bible... Yeah that makes sense! Until I heard the Paul Harvey "If I were the Devil" ..... How the heck did he know about all of this? And this world is going absolutely nuts! I do not know what to believe anymore and am So confused! I'm 29 and I have 2 toddlers, my 3 yr old is old enough to explain God but I don't know if I should. HuhHuhHuhHuh

A question that has not come up yet: where is the mother and what does she think? Pardon if that is a little sensitive to you but I am only asking because my wife is a believer and that really changes the dynamics of conversations like that.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2015, 11:21 PM
I guess I just assumed OP was the mother...

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
03-02-2015, 01:14 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2015 01:23 PM by Toney.)
You asked "I'm hoping everyone can accept me here and answer any questions that I do have."

We don't have an answer for every question! What forum do you think you landed on? We can answer most questions but not all. Some questions may not have an answer. Like "What is the purpose of life". Well.... Maybe there's no "purpose" to life and why should there be?

If you want an answer to everything (and don't care if it's a correct one) then study religion. They have all the answers. You know "God done it" but please try and pick a peaceful one! There's other people on this planet too! If Atheist knew it all, we'd have nothing to look forward to. No adventure and nothing left to learn. I'm happy not having all the answers and there's lots of good ones left to ask!

OH! You said your are figuring out what you "want to" believe. You can't do that. Impossible. You can control what evidence you want to look at and what books you read but what you believe is not a choice. Can you believe your 12 foot tall?

PS: Welcome to the forum fellow Human!
[+] 1 user Likes Toney's post
10-02-2015, 11:38 AM
You could believe your 12 feet tall, if you really wanted to. It would be considered either a fun personal fantasy or you're be called delusional and hauled away. Big Grin
Seems to me that the easiest thing to do is examine the facts. If you were on a jury you'd be given evidence to consider and come to a conclusion based on it. Do that with your belief. Write it out. What do you believe? Why do you believe it? What is the evidence? Don't be afraid to do that. If God is as forgiving and loving as we're told, then why would this "being" be upset? Supposedly they already know what's in your heart, so why would it freak them out? After all we're suppose to be created in their image.
I agree that teaching about reality, reasoning, critical thinking and science will help your little person come to their own conclusions. Not only that but there are some really fun science experiments to try. I'm going to start doing them with my five year old grandaughter. Wink
10-02-2015, 05:00 PM
It boils down to this....

You have to decide (in a sense) what you want to believe. Although, it can be argued, that belief really isn't a choice and that you really only believe something based on the information placed in front of you.

You have to start asking the right questions and looking for the answers. When it comes to Christianity (I can't speak for other religions) it is a house of cards. There are a plethora of discrepancies in the bible and when viewed in the historical context the burden of proof for evidence for a majority of the information presented just isn't there. So, the choice becomes one of believing as a true act of faith, in the face of the slightest of probabilities, or realizing that the probabilities are so small that there just isn't enough there to bring you to belief.

That video appeals to emotion and the psychology of the human mind appears to be deeply linked to emotion and how it can drive our behavior and belief system. I was raised in this environment, my entire religious upbringing as a fundamentalist was a direct correlation with a play on emotions and my "experience" with God. But you have to be careful because emotion can shut down your ability to think logically and clearly.

Take a step back, start doing research. There are plenty of people on this forum that can you lead you to good information. Examine both sides. Don't be afraid to look at religious or non-religious doctrine. It takes time to work through this. It isn't a one or two day project that you can hammer out. It is an on-going process that can take years. Some people are afraid of the work, they think it's easier to believe a lie that appears on the surface to make them happier, however you owe it to yourself to find truth, wherever it leads you.

Best wishes!