yay im planing on buying a 3d printer <3

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-07-2013, 06:37 AM
Wink yay im planing on buying a 3d printer <3
So I’ve been looking at 3d printers... they have gotten pretty cheap...

The cheapest are the repraps which can be 50% printed from other repraps X3
(So you can give your friends half a machine after getting one)

But they probably don’t have the best resolution...
That one I’m looking at is a Chinese copy of an open source printer called makerbot replicator X2
(It has 2 extruders which allows the use of 2 colors or regular material and water soluble material for support structures…. So I can do super complex gearing premade assembled in was that cannot be don’t otherwise which is COOL!)

The brand is Flashforge which has more and better reviews on amazon Smile
(It’s kinda funny when the Chinese knockoff is 1000$ cheaper and has better reviews and score then again that the whole point with open source hardware)

With the next free upgrade of windows 8.1 that slated for release in winter and is available to test now 3d printing will get native support.

I.e. it will be as easy as a regular printer Smile
In a few years it might easily be that everyone has their own..

I mean it’s so empowering to be able to just model a piece you need just the way you need it... google sketchup is dead easy to use for stuff like that...

Say you need a holder for the showerhead thingy... to hold it in place...
You just measure up the bits design up the components and print.. 5hours or so later you have your piece Smile

(3d printing is a bit slow so it’s really one of those overnight kind of things)

At the moment I’m playing around with building some kind of general purpose gun handle for what will probably be a set of water and nerf guns to be feared by all X3

My cats will never be safe again lol...

I’m also playing with the idea of making cat plate armor just as a silly idea.. My cats would fine it highly annoying haha but the internet pictures would be hilariously cute.

I’m also going to do a padlock cover to show if someone has tried to break it open.
(Some padlocks can be broken open and then closed again without really clear signs of tampering)

So anyone else into 3d printing or playing around with the idea?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zerq The mad's post
23-07-2013, 09:09 AM
RE: yay im planing on buying a 3d printer <3
I intend to get a 3D printer when I have a job. I like working on dioramas, but there are some parts that I just can't make in the level of detail I desire due to the scales I work in. Objects like doors, building accents, statues, wagons, barrels, and other miscellaneous stuff.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
23-07-2013, 09:33 AM
The issue is that this new technology will devastate the economy if it becomes too widespread. I love the idea, but I don't know how it would work.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
23-07-2013, 09:41 AM
(23-07-2013 09:33 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  The issue is that this new technology will devastate the economy if it becomes too widespread. I love the idea, but I don't know how it would work.

Seems to me that it creates opportunities for small businesses and craftsmen.
Sounds good for the economy.Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-07-2013, 09:44 AM
(23-07-2013 09:41 AM)Chas Wrote:  Seems to me that it creates opportunities for small businesses and craftsmen.
Sounds good for the economy.Consider

It also might devastate the economy with widespread private personal use. I am not saying it will, I am just saying that I think the future is pretty cloudy. Consider

23-07-2013, 09:47 AM
Yeah I'm with Chas it should return some power to small business and that is a good thing.*

I really want a 3D printer and I can afford one, but I can't justify purchasing one...I dunno what the heck I would make with it.

Has anyone actually felt 3D printed goods? What type of plastic is it? how brittle/soft, etc? How expensive are the reagents?

*See Chas I'm not anti-business, I just want the multi-nationals to pay their godamn taxes and stop buggering with my congress. Wink

23-07-2013, 09:48 AM
(23-07-2013 09:47 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Yeah I'm with Chas it should return some power to small business and that is a good thing.*

It might do that.

23-07-2013, 09:50 AM
(23-07-2013 09:48 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(23-07-2013 09:47 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Yeah I'm with Chas it should return some power to small business and that is a good thing.*

It might do that.

History shows that new technologies that are disruptive create new businesses. There will be winners and losers.

In this case, the winners are likely to be the people and not big business.

I checked my Magic 8 Ball on this. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
23-07-2013, 09:53 AM
I have thought about buying one(i mean my dad has) but since he is such a tech noob and i dont think i can handle the printer too,so no 3d for me.

You know,i have some interesting designs for houses,chairs,tables,ect that my dad made with turboCAD,i would like to print them

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
23-07-2013, 10:00 AM
I would love one but I know if I did buy one I'd only end up only using it a handful of times so it wouldn't really be worth it.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]