yintheist yangtheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2014, 11:46 PM
RE: yintheist yangtheist
Belief in a god or gods. This is the definition that is all encoumpasing throughout history and not all god(s) are personal and many where personifications of the natural. The key word in this is really belief and that is where the flexibility is found. I understand that there are specific definitions of many of the terms used here that are in agreement with most kinds of atheist and that is why "Atheism: a case against god" was suggested for me to read. I have only finished part one so far. When I am done, I will have a better idea of where everything I understand falls within the common cognition of those associating themselves as atheist. I do like the rigor that goes into the reasoning.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2014, 12:00 AM
(07-05-2014 11:46 PM)tsouth5 Wrote:  Belief in a god or gods. This is the definition that is all encoumpasing throughout history and not all god(s) are personal and many where personifications of the natural. The key word in this is really belief and that is where the flexibility is found. I understand that there are specific definitions of many of the terms used here that are in agreement with most kinds of atheist and that is why "Atheism: a case against god" was suggested for me to read. I have only finished part one so far. When I am done, I will have a better idea of where everything I understand falls within the common cognition of those associating themselves as atheist. I do like the rigor that goes into the reasoning.

No, theism is a belief in an interventionist, personal god.

“It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.”

Albert Einstein, in a letter March 24, 1954

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-05-2014, 12:15 AM
And I will keep that phrase in mind when I read theist on this forum. So if I use some belief for internal transformation but find no evidence for external intervention, am I a theist?
08-05-2014, 12:27 AM
(08-05-2014 12:15 AM)tsouth5 Wrote:  And I will keep that phrase in mind when I read theist on this forum. So if I use some belief for internal transformation but find no evidence for external intervention, am I a theist?

I have no idea what you mean. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-05-2014, 01:17 AM
(08-05-2014 12:15 AM)tsouth5 Wrote:  And I will keep that phrase in mind when I read theist on this forum. So if I use some belief for internal transformation but find no evidence for external intervention, am I a theist?

At work.

Completely stabbing blindly in the dark, but doesn't that seem more 'Deist'? Undecided

Which I completely understand is a kind of theist. Blush

Much cheers to all.
08-05-2014, 01:27 AM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2014 01:31 AM by djhall.)
(07-05-2014 04:27 AM)tsouth5 Wrote:  First off, everything I read, both theist and atheist, claim that I cannot be both.

I see you haven't read any TrainWreck. According to him, if you believe a supernatural entity creates and defines reality, but you oppose the inclusion of your theist doctrines in public policy, you can be an atheist theist. Consider

Yeah, it gets weird here. Dodgy Welcome.
09-05-2014, 02:02 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2014 02:20 PM by kim.)

Hmm... Consider I have no idea what you mean by "internal transformation".

If you find no evidence to prove or disprove a feeling or belief you might have, then agnosticism might be a term to explore. Shy

agnostic
noun
a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.