your best argument against a personal god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2013, 07:25 AM
RE: your best argument against a personal god?
When you hear the term "personal god"/"personal relationship", it is usually about a christian who "claims that god speaks to them via the bible or a 'still small voice' that isn't audible".

The "voice" is merely their own mind . . . their own desires, wishes, or what THEY feel their "god" might be saying to them about a situation. Have you ever heard anyone say, "It was Jesus telling me this because I would have never done it that way." Well, actually, what they believe to be "something they wouldn't have done" is just christian conditioning that they may have heard from another. There will be some sort of input that is the actual factor in "their spiritual discernment" or whatever they call it.

The bible, and it being "god speaking to them through the pages" is yet another way people misrepresent "a personal god" from man made literature. It's like the "love letters" thing. "Love letters" that were "written to whomever wants to read them" but not at all personal in reality. You can READ something that you can make "personal to you", but in reality it is just your own projection onto it.

I had my time of "looking for a personal relationship with god/jesus". It was the blackest pit of nothing I ever experienced. There was nothing there, . . . . even when I was the utmost sincere I had ever been, . . . . there was nothing.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2013, 07:36 AM
Quote:The idea that a god is going to help me in my day to day life (please pray that I have an outstanding performance today at work), while the poor people in third world countries who have absolutely zero chance at any improvement in life are ignored. And the religious apologist condemns those poor people by saying that they have rejected god.

REALLY!?
I hope you realize you asked a question, than answered it rhetorically, setting up a straw man argument.

My family financially supports two families now in Africa and one in Asia. Their children are able to attend school rather than work in the fields. A fourth family's child we used to support is happily in business school now following "high school".

Having free will means Christians and others can be part of solutions worldwide. The notions that Christians sit on the rear all day to pray is patently untrue. So is this nonsense you've concocted that we condemn the people overseas as godless pagans. Rather, it's Americans and Europeans who are fast growing to be godless pagans!
18-04-2013, 08:27 AM
PJ, it is good to help out those in need. But remember that it is YOU [not some unseen entity] who is doing the work. You don't need "a god" to do good things for others.
[+] 1 user Likes DeavonReye's post
18-04-2013, 05:20 PM
(18-04-2013 07:23 AM)bemore Wrote:  Aint no disproving my personal god... who happens to be me.

I get to judge my own actions, think what I want to think and do what I want to do. I am my own church and need nobody other than me.

I worship myself. I feel this is the most successful and most rewarding thing to do.

Hail Bemore!!!!

Yeah, what he said. Except once again, as usual Bemore is confusing Bemore with GirlyMan.

All Hail GirlyMan! Bow before my withered feckless testicles! ... (okay stop now, that tickles).

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
19-04-2013, 12:32 AM
I don't. I laugh at their delusion and move on. Personal Gods are not worth the time, I got bigger fish to fry.
19-04-2013, 08:18 AM
The personal god is our subconscious. It does answer prayers, it does attempt to lead us in the right direction and it does have an influence on our lives.

The best argument against it is not to argue that it doesn't exist but to explain what it actually is and why it seems so mysterious.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
19-04-2013, 09:18 PM
Re: your best argument against a personal god?
Note how mysterious it must be that personal Gods across the world happen to line up with individuals beliefs despite world differences.
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
20-04-2013, 08:11 AM
Without referring to a book written 2,000 years ago by scientifically ignorant and superstitious people living in an ancient civilation where is the evidence for any God, personal or otherwise?

I wasn't . . . until I was
I am . . . until I'm not
[+] 1 user Likes free2011's post
20-04-2013, 08:37 AM
The only argument that has ever been needed and ever will be needed against a personal god: there has never been any shred of evidence whatsoever to even make me consider the possibility.
[+] 1 user Likes Superluminal's post
20-04-2013, 06:29 PM
I'd just go with not wanting to believe in an invisible man in the clouds who encourages genocide, racism, sexism and overall douchiness.